Travelling

Views: 925 Replies: 17

Wanting a bag. Pros and con...

Views: 1476 Replies: 18

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Pain in stomach area with a colostomy HELP!

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,913 members interested in a relationship

10,641 members looking for support

111,002 exchanged private messages

48,564 forum posts

1202 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Pain in stomach area with a colostomy HELP! Reply with quote

Hi friends, I need some help.††I have had a colostomy since Nov. 09' and a few weeks ago I started having a "KNOT IN MY STOMACH" feeling especially when I stand up, it's better when I am sitting.††Just wondering if anyone else has had this feeling?††Kinda feels like a constipation feeling and my output has slowed down some...(hope I am using the right terminology).††Can you take laxatives with a colostomy?

Thanks friends!
 TexasGirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.††I'm not quite sure what you are feeling but it may possibly be from constipation and not taking in enough fluids.††I've had a colostomy since May 07 but never really had any constipation problems.††I eat 1/2 cup of yogurt daily and that keeps me pretty regular.††I did read somewhere that you can have something like a spasm whenever you are dehydrated.††Start pumping the fluids and see if things change.††If they don't, you may need to go on in and get it checked out.††Best to you, Debi
 kenkd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluids are very important for colostomates as well. drink your proper amount of water per day. Check with your doctor about laxatives BEFORE using them, and make sure you chew your food thoroughly at meal times.

Those are instructions for ostomates who may be heading for a 'blockage', some early signs of which you indicated. Of course, I'm not a doctor so you may want to check with at least your ostomy nurse to figure it out.

I have experienced blockages so much I almost know when things (feelings) are heading in that direction. I have however for the past three years had it under control (knock on wood), and water plays an important role in that, along with not 'pigging out' at meal times, or eating Chinese vegetables (among other things). Movement can increase motility where output has slowed down.

Hope you feel better soon.

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: