13,402 members   119,316 exchanged messages   52,339 forum posts
Currently online
1 members & 1 visitors
Featured topic
Just to let you know I've met the most wonderful woman on here. Was never really looking in the first place but after receiving a wink ...
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Latest Topics
Help! Stoma is receding int...

Views: 16 Replies: 1

Happy Thanksgiving Everybod...

Views: 60 Replies: 1

Views: 169 Replies: 10

pains in legs

Views: 105 Replies: 3

Stool Consistency

Views: 100 Replies: 2

New to the Raleigh area, pr...

Views: 80 Replies: 0

Just for Laughs
View unanswered forum posts
Colo-Majic - The Liner People
It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org - the largest Online Ostomy Community

Pain in stomach area with a colostomy HELP!

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 pm
Hi friends, I need some help.  I have had a colostomy since Nov. 09' and a few weeks ago I started having a "KNOT IN MY STOMACH" feeling especially when I stand up, it's better when I am sitting.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this feeling?  Kinda feels like a constipation feeling and my output has slowed down some...(hope I am using the right terminology).  Can you take laxatives with a colostomy?

Thanks friends!

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 am
Hi there.  I'm not quite sure what you are feeling but it may possibly be from constipation and not taking in enough fluids.  I've had a colostomy since May 07 but never really had any constipation problems.  I eat 1/2 cup of yogurt daily and that keeps me pretty regular.  I did read somewhere that you can have something like a spasm whenever you are dehydrated.  Start pumping the fluids and see if things change.  If they don't, you may need to go on in and get it checked out.  Best to you, Debi

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm
Fluids are very important for colostomates as well. drink your proper amount of water per day. Check with your doctor about laxatives BEFORE using them, and make sure you chew your food thoroughly at meal times.

Those are instructions for ostomates who may be heading for a 'blockage', some early signs of which you indicated. Of course, I'm not a doctor so you may want to check with at least your ostomy nurse to figure it out.

I have experienced blockages so much I almost know when things (feelings) are heading in that direction. I have however for the past three years had it under control (knock on wood), and water plays an important role in that, along with not 'pigging out' at meal times, or eating Chinese vegetables (among other things). Movement can increase motility where output has slowed down.

Hope you feel better soon.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.
Other topics