Colostomy and Bladder Problems

Replies
Views
jenniwren

Hi, my name is Jenni and I am 30 years old. I have had my colostomy since last August. It was a last resort after having surgery to try to correct a prolapsed rectum. My surgeon said that the sphincter muscles had gone completely. Anyway, I am now just about used to dealing with the colostomy, although I have to change it more regularly than I would like - mostly three times a day. Is this normal? Anyway, my problem now is that I am continually incontinent with my bladder. I have to wear prescription pads, so I feel like a baby. I am about to have urodynamic tests done. I hope that this will give the consultant some answers. I am worried that I will end up with a bag for that too. At least it would mean I would never have to go to the loo ever again. Is there anyone out there who has the same difficulties as me and would be willing to talk to me about it? I was wondering if it was quite usual for the bladder problems to occur after having the colostomy done. I didn't say before, but my colostomy is permanent. These problems are secondary as I have hydrocephalus and have had loads of surgery for it. Anyway, I shall stop talking now and hope to hear from anybody. Thanks, Jenni.

Past Member
Hello Jenni
I'm so truly sorry about you needing to have a colostomy and ending up with urinary incontinence as well. I'm Richard, and I'm in a similar position to you, only a little further on.
I've had my colostomy for 10 years, but also live with urge incontinence which was caused by the surgery. My surgeon explained to me that impotence and urinary incontinence are not uncommon in colostomy surgery.
You mentioned that you are just about to have Urinary Dynamics testing done. My urologist put me through all of the investigations, which helped him diagnose urge incontinence.
Please feel free to contact me.
Chatting with you would help me too.
I too understand a little about your feelings of wearing pads. Please have a quick look at my post, just below yours, which will explain a little more.
I look forward to hearing from you, Jenni.
Take care
Richard
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.