Colostomy

Replies
Views
gorgiepuss
Hi, is there anyone out there who has both a colostomy and a urostomy? I am a 40-year-old female and have a permanent colostomy, and I may need surgery to have a urostomy as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Past Member
Hello
I have both a colostomy and a urostomy. I got them last November.
I found them pretty hard at first to get used to, not the fact that I had them, because basically they are easy to accept if that's how you are going to survive cancer, but just getting used to the changing of pouches, accidents, etc.
Urostomy was the worst, because of where the docs put my stoma near my belly button. I used seals with my pouch but it leaked nearly every night. Then I tried a paste but it still leaked, and if I did any physical work like gardening, etc., it would leak too. It was really getting me down, but then I thought I would try the pouches without the extra stuff and bingo! Now I don't have accidents (fingers crossed).

The stoma nurses told me I could still wear the same clothes as I did before the op, but I can't. I wear one size larger to accommodate my pouches comfortably.

The only other thing is I don't go out at night because that's when my colostomy likes to do its thing. I could, but I feel better if I am at home. I don't know if I am any help to you, but that's my little story.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Miss Scarlet
Hi Georgiepuss
I have both a colostomy and an urostomy. I have them as a result of treatment for a disease called pseudomyxoma. I was in shock for a long time and felt I would never get used to them. I got the two of them at the same time. Now over two years later, I am managing them well. Ria's urostomy does not seem to have been sited in a good place but I was lucky?? that both my stomas are in good places. I wear normal clothes and take the same size.
It is a lot to go through, but there is life after losing your bladder and bowel. I have only ever met one other person with two bags, so we are a unique bunch of people.
Good luck Georgiepuss.
Maureen
Miss Scarlet
Hi Georgiepuss
I have not heard back from you and I was wondering, are you okay?