Is this hernia pain?

Replies
Views
beatrice
(Ileo Dec 09 with no hernia to this point)

Was out in the garden today doing some stuff ... this evening I have a pain very close to my stoma. It's not constant, but when it comes it's a fairly sharp pain -- is this a hernia pain?

Sigh - You want to know what makes me want to put my head through a wall ... I just got a hernia support belt. While I was in the yard, it was in its box on the coffee table ... idiot.

I don't see an obvious hernia protrusion ... so maybe it's giving me a warning. Do most hernias come with pain?
Maybe I just pulled something.

Thanks for any insight.
Gus
Hi Beatrice, most hernias come with pain, but maybe you just overdid it in the garden. Sometimes, if I overdo it, I get sharp pains around or near my stoma, and I put it down to that. You'll know a hernia as it will feel slightly squishy where it's come up, and sometimes gentle pressure with the palm of your hand will set it back in place. Not always, but as my surgeon said, mostly they will go back. Get that belt out of the box and place it by your front door where it's handy, and be careful. There's only one you, and we want you around for a long time.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

It's possible you were just overdoing it a bit as Gus says.... Mine is beyond saving as it's so big but mine tends not to hurt itself per se, it is the strain it puts on everything else - my back, neck, etc., where the weight of it just pulls my body out of kilter - don't let it get that far, once mine had 'gone' initially just a cough and a sneeze is all it takes for expansion! Take care, Rach xxxxxxxx

beatrice

Many thanks, Steve and Rachel! Those are just the encouraging words I was hoping for!

Yes, I overdid it. Hubby was not impressed... he got the belt (still in its box) and had me wear it the rest of the evening and then for the night. His thought was that if something was iffy, maybe the belt would give some relief/support. Then he put the box by the door and gave me a little talking to.

So far today, no pain. I'll be more careful... it was just so darned wonderful to get into the dirt and play...

Gus

You can still play in the dirt, Beatrice, but you now have a companion that needs your support, or the support of a belt lol. Tell your hubby from me, "Bravo for being stern and giving you a telling off. Don't want ya gettin' sick now, do we?"

Hya Rachy pachy

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
gutenberg
Hey Steve, good to hear from you, hope all is well. I have been using your method and my hernia seemed to go down, then I had a fall and in the process of grabbing my seat belt to haul myself off the ground, I hurt my arm, never had it properly fixed, my fault but the pain in my leg did not let me feel anything for about three hours, the the drugs kicked in, funny thing, pain in leg subsides but I feel this needle like pain below my stoma, not bad at the time, but next day, as they say the shit hit the fan, so now I`m trying to get the thing back down, it must have popped a good inch, I guess its time for a hernia belt. Take care friends. Ed
airforce1

I have a hernia the size of a golf ball. I have an appointment next week. Does anyone have this problem?

lottagelady

Sort of, but mine's the size of a football!

My first appointment is tomorrow in London with a complex hernia surgeon - will blog as to how I get on! xx
beatrice

Oh Rach - can't imagine dealing with one that size. Hoping you get hopeful news.