Size of Hernia

Replies
Views
gutenberg
This may sound silly considering the size of some members hernias, but how big should one let them go before having them repaired. Ed
Mitzie

Without having the hernia repaired, you take the chance of the hernia being "strangulated" (coming out and not going back where it's supposed to be.) Dangerous and painful situation. Definitely get a doctor's opinion. This is my second hernia repair soon to be done, one about each 10 years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

healthyguy

Did you have to have your stoma relocated when they did the repair? I have a small hernia just above my stoma. I am afraid that they will have to relocate the stoma to do the repair, which I really don't want them to move it. Has anyone else out there heard of this?

Mndwlkr
Hi Gutenberg-Mndwlkr here. Not a silly question at all! I've wrestled with this question for half a year now. I took a lot of care with my physique prior to my ileostomy; exercised at least 5 times a week for 1 1/2 or more hours of workouts consisting of aerobics, weights, swimming....you get the idea. Well, things have changed quite (including mentally) a bit as you may imagine. I've had to be opened up twice - the second time I forgot to tell the surgical team to install a zipper! I've been going to a GI guy and the surgeon who performed the operation originally. Here's my take: (A). They could probably put me together using mesh and so on, but it didn't take on the second op. I must mention, one of the reasons I was opened up the 2nd time was to repair the stitches that tore after the 1st op. So, if the stitches didn't hold the 1st time nor the 2nd, what's going to be so different on the 3rd? (B). As I have what is medically called a "gigantic wide-mouthed ventral hernia", I'm told there isn't a lot of protoplasm left to stitch together. The up-side so I am told, is because the hernia is so large, that the small intestine is not likely to get pinched as it would in a smaller hernia. Additionally, I'm not ready to go through the 12-16 weeks of recovery that is estimated.
So, my conclusion: I've decided to live with the hernia, and start doing some rehab work to strengthen the ab muscles the best I can. I'm also trying to get a hernia belt with a port for the ostomy bag to pass through. A few months ago, I felt that I didn't have anyone that I needed to impress (women), but I've since changed my mind. Guess that's why I'm on this website, huh? Good luck to you! Health and wisdom be with you. Mndwlkr.
GACWOCN
Nurse

Are any of you guys wearing a hernia support belt?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
gutenberg
Hi there Mndwlkr, thanks for the reply, I think we're in agreement regarding the surgical route, only when it gets to a final conclusion will I say go for it, but not until I have a repair work for my spine, that takes precedence over a multitude of health problems. By the end of the month I'll be getting a hernia belt and hope for the best. As an aside, I noticed this was your first post which gives me the opportunity to say WELCOME to our site, and jump in there if you have any questions or have an answer to a post. We have a wonderful group who has helped me through some difficult times, no question is ever rejected, it may take a while but sooner or later someone will offer suggestions. I was wondering about doing abs as I think you'd have to be very careful as it wouldn't take much when you already have the hernia, I wish you luck in your endeavours, Ed
gutenberg
Hi there GACWOCN, nice hearing from you again, and of course I'm not wearing a hernia support, but I got some under ware from a friend on this site, talk about comfort and this lad sent them from Scotland, I couldn't imagine that these high waisted under would let the flow pass without a problem, but they work great, so did I beat you to the punch about getting a proper hernia belt? Here's hoping for your continued good health and thanks for previous suggestions.
slb2123
Hi, in the 5 years that I've had my ileostomy, I've had 3 hernia repairs. They're not due to weight gain, just a tendency to herniate! The first time involved a relocation but the other 2 were ok. Last summer my hernia was the size of a tennis ball and got in the way of clothing. My surgeon in NYC-Cornell used a new material, I think it was a synthetic pigskin. I've had the mesh but it didn't seem to work for too long a period of time. I agree with others though-definitely see a doctor. Good luck and good health!