Colostomy versus Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
Maryland Gal
Hi, I am new to the site and had a few questions.
I had to have a colostomy just over a year ago due to a doctor screwing up my back. I have cauda equine syndrome (no bladder function and my nerves to my rectum stopped working). Since the colostomy, I have had two revisions. For some reason, my stoma keeps closing up. The doctor tried to put a scope through it to see what the problem was, but they could not even get the scope in an inch or two. I also have colonic bowel (very slow moving), but when things do try to come out, I have severe pain. Right now, I am on TPN to get most of my nutrition. When I try to eat something more solid, I have more difficulty. The surgeon says I should probably just have all the large bowel out and convert to an ileostomy. Some days I have so much pain I am fine with this, but other days I am afraid. I have had so many bowel surgeries and I am tired of all the operations and just being in the hospital for sepsis and other infections. Has anyone had any of these issues or can anyone give some advice on what to do? It seems all my doctors are encouraging me to just get the ileostomy. Help.......
Thanks so much.
Jax
Hi Maryland Girl

I have an ileo and have no problems. My advice would be to follow the docs' opinions if that is how you feel. Follow your gut feeling and if they can tell you more positively that the transformation from Colo to Ileo would be better for you, go by how you feel. I have had several operations myself and hope you trust yourself with your answer.

I would ask the docs one thing though, and that would be "If I have the Ileo, would that stop all the blocking of the stoma and the rest of the problems?" I am sure you also have your own questions.

Cheers and hope you do well. Let us know.

Jax

You can contact me personally if you like.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

C Cogan

Hello Maryland Girl: I live in Rockville, Maryland, so we are almost neighbors. You certainly have a lot to deal with, but if you have good doctors, everything should be all right. What interests me is that doctors can have differing opinions. I tend to opt for the conservative approach, but each case is different. Good luck to you. CSC

cmbrock

I've had an ileostomy for 4 years. In my experience, they can be nasty to control without the right brand of bag. You need a two-piece with a flange and separate bag ... something called a moldable flange. They are absolutely leakproof. Get that and it'll be a breeze. You'll barely notice it's there.
Go for it. It's worth it.