Showering with a Colostomy: Need advice on keeping pouch dry

Replies
Views
Monsieur Le President

If a bag keeps the wet in, then it keeps the wet out. I shower with the bag on.
When I change the bag, I prepare the new one, remove the old, shower, protect the stoma with a wad of tissue whilst drying, then put on the new bag. Simple.

Mike

I use a two-piece system and my ET nurse told me it was okay to shower with the bag off. I've been doing it for a year and a half.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Frenchie55

Hi,
I shower and take baths with the bag on all the time. Afterwards, I wipe the outside part with the towel to take off excess water then I dry it with the hair dryer. I use Coloplast Assura appliance and its opaque and kind of material. No problems there.

Janice

Past Member

Hello,

I don't see why there is any problem with getting the bags wet? I always shower with mine off in the morning because that is when things are the most calm. And if it happens to go, well at least it all goes down the drain to the sewer!! And it's one less bag change. Sorry, but I just hate dealing with it all the time.

I go swimming with my daughter all the time and I don't do anything special at all. Just put on my suit. I also go in the hot tub. I have been very lucky with my colostomy. I hardly ever have it leak. I have had the colostomy for 3 years and I think I have only had it leak from the wafer twice, and that was always when I was sleeping at about 3 am.

Past Member

The new products shouldn't have a problem with getting them wet.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
littlewheel

After showering, I pat dry the outer edge with toilet paper or tissue, and then take a long piece of toilet paper and wrap it around the flange. Then, I go and put on my underwear and shave, have breakfast, and by the time it is ready to leave the house, the toilet paper has absorbed the extra moisture, so I remove it and find the "cloth" part of the flange dry to the touch. In hot weather, I then apply an anti-fungal powder to it.

moses0730

Hey everyone, I'm a brand new ostomate. I have an ileostomy, my ostomy nurse didn't make any reference to me needing to cover the bag, they are waterproof, the Hollister two-piece system. I just towel it dry after I get out of the shower. As far as for those of you who remove the bag to shower, a tip I was given by a long-time ostomate was to eat a handful of marshmallows about an hour before you're going to do so, same goes with bag and wafer changes. It helps stop up the flow. Just remember to eat them and give it about an hour, and then you should be good to go and will have no, or at least very minimum, flow out of your ostomy. That should help with the mess in the shower if you like to shower without an appliance or take your bag off to keep it from being wet.