FAO: Kizzed ... Reversal Recovery Time

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lottagelady
Hi there - you can post on the forum if you are a free member - because I do and am!

Will post your question below - not something I can comment on as I haven't as yet had one - and despite having no bowel disease not sure if I ever will! Am sure you will get plenty of responses though ..... Rach xx

My husband had a reversal of his ileostomy 20th July 2010...just wanted advice on recovery time. In Jan 2010 he woke up with a stoma bag after a 10hr surgery to save his life after a pancreas transplant that rejected, rupturing his vena cava, aorta, and bowel. He lost 13 liters = 22 pints of blood plus a few inches of bowel. He was told the stoma was reversible, thus he nagged for it to be done. Although he was chuffed to see the bag gone...6 days post-op he is regretting having it reversed. Currently he is in a lot of pain, abdomen very swollen, bloated feeling all the time, severe nausea...he keeps saying he doesn't think he'll get out of the hospital alive!! As I am a free member, I cannot write on the forum or chat exclusively or message anyone, but would love advice on how long all this takes to heal. To contact anyone, I can wink so will if that's ok. He was thinking he would be back at work within two weeks but reading the forum it sounds like years rather than weeks!! Thank you in advance.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Rachel, just found your message...thanks for posting this. I just found that I could post on the forum and did so...then found this...lol.
Regards, Kizzed x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
eunpark
Just had my colonoscopy reversal on July 2. They did it laparoscopically. Recovery time was about 2 weeks, very little pain. Can do most of what I did before the bag. Have to be careful about lifting heavy things but other than that, feeling pretty good. Tell your friend to hang in there, it will get better.
Past Member

Thank you Eunpark...will tell my hubby.

Past Member
Eunpark, thank you for letting me read a happy story on a reversal. You will make it, as you seem as headstrong as I am. I am not even worried about not lifting anything, as I haven't done it for this last year anyway. Kinda getting used to not lifting, just can't wait until I am back doing fun things I love, and I will find out from my surgeon when that will be. After the day I had yesterday, I realized I do not want to be like this anymore, and I have an awesome chance of a reversal. My mind is as strong as yours sounds. God love you always for giving me the hope I needed right now. I get myself upset and I got a lump in my throat and am shaking. But I know I can calm down in a bit and will even take a nap, don't care how early it is in the US. I didn't sleep hardly at all last night over worry. Now I am back to having hope again, and I am emotional when it comes to my health. I am so ready to live my life, and if I have to take it slow, then I will. But no matter what, I am fighting and I will win this battle. God bless you, and I couldn't love you anymore right now if you were my doctor, because you both gave me the one thing I had to have to survive, and that is hope. The only other person in my life that can do that is Jo Jo, a good friend of mine. Now I feel so blessed and could use that nap. Thanks again, love Jenny.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eunpark

Keep me updated with your condition. My has been so good that I am out bowfishing again, something I hadn't done in 8 months due to the bag. I walk for hours building up stamina, and pulling bow tightens stomach muscles so it's like killing 2 fish with 1 arrow LOL. May God bless you and watch over you for He is your Savior. JIM

Past Member
Eunpark, have posted updates on this forum link if you want to catch up.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1573 highlight

Thanks again, Kizzed x