Swimming for Men

Replies
Views
Past Member
Hi,
My stoma is quite high (above belly button). I was wondering what the men on here wear when swimming. It is not really practical to wear high waistband swimmers (would look REALLY stupid).
Thanks.
Past Member
Hope you get some replies, Wyle, because I'm interested in what guys do too! It's easy for us girls because we can just chuck on a one-piece and off we go. I know in Oz you could wear a "rashie", like a mesh t-shirt thingie that keeps off the sun and the stingers, and surfers wear them so definitely cool! I think it's called a rashie because it prevents the "rash" caused by surfboards.
And I have seen plenty of guys wear t-shirts into the water, sun protection being a huge factor here (maybe not so much in Britain!).

Hope you find an answer, nothing like taking a dip!

Cheers,
Jo
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jojoslife

Wyle, I have a stealth belt. I think you will like it. http://stealthbelt.com

Urostomy Guy
Hi, go look at my pictures (Urostomy Guy) and check out what I use. I use a woman's plain tube top bra made from polyester and spandex (Don't laugh, it works very well and nobody knows what it is). I wear it for swimming, tanning, and whenever I need to. I ordered it from eBay, but be careful what you order. I have a 36" waist and use a woman's XL. The reason I said be careful what you order is that the "one size fits all" (S, M, L, XL) is too tight if you need an XL size. If your waist size is 34" or smaller, the "one size fits all" should be okay. I looked for a women's XL size only and ordered black only because the lighter and brighter colors (white, yellow, light blue, red, etc.) are very transparent and the bag shows through them like a sore thumb. Black hides it very well. If anybody should ask why you are wearing that black band around your waist, you can say you had a small surgery and you are keeping it dry. I hope I had some good advice for you and anybody else who reads this. Sorry if I rambled on too long. If you or anybody has any questions, please contact me.

Urostomy Guy
Urostomy Guy

Read my posting on "What Men Can Wear for Swimming" then go check out the two pics.

Urostomy Guy

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Thanks all, we're off to Florida soon so we will have a chance to try the suggestions and see how it goes.
Not much opportunity to go swimming at home at the moment.

KennyT
Hey Whyle, I surf and swim a lot, and as my ostomy is not as high on the body as yours, I can hide my pouch behind my board shorts or under my wetsuit. But I have to agree with Jo's suggestion regarding the rashie or what can be termed a sun protection vest also.

These tops are not only great when surfing on a board but are worn by many people to keep sunburn at bay and are very comfortable. So comfortable, health-conscious, and privacy for you all rolled into one. Winner!!

Good luck and have a great time.

Ken
sherl1

Hi there, going swimming in the local pool and all I use is my short type trunks. My urostomy is quite high as well, same level as my navel, if I had one!! I just wear my trunks quite high and use the tie the cord so it won't slip down. Some flanges are bigger than others and you could cut the top edge a bit, that would help too.
These days I don't think it matters too much if you show a bit of your flange, especially if the pool is busy. Hope you manage to do some swimming, one of the best things you can do.
Good luck.