Question for the ladies

Views: 438 Replies: 5

A Question

Views: 293 Replies: 2

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Leaking Appliance

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,812 members interested in a relationship

10,447 members looking for support

110,031 exchanged private messages

48,056 forum posts

1,272 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 JFlan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Leaking Appliance Reply with quote

I have been having a terrible problem with my appliance leaking. I have been seeing an ostomy nurse but to no avail. I have two "dips" on each side of my ileostomy. That is where the leaks occur. I am currently wearing Convatec durahesive wafers and pouches. I have tried other pouches, one pieces and used Eakin cohesive seals in whole and in pieces put into the dips. Sometimes I am having to change appliances a couple of times a day. I used to be able to keep them on a week at a time. The biggest change is that I have gained weight. I am trying to take it off but need help now to solve this problem. If any of you can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the area around the stoma is thoroughly clean and use a non perfumed soap such as Ivory. Also try adhesive remover before applying the new durahesive and stomahesive paste to fill in the grooves. Excoriated skin that is raw can contribute to the lack of adhesion.
 baritone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan - I also have the weight problem and use both powder and skin prep wipes with every change.  If you haven't already tried it, I found that the Hollister Adapt Barrier Rings hold up much better for me than Eakin Seals, and I use them with the Convatec Durahesive MOLDABLE CONVEX barriers.  I get good "turtlenecking" with this combination which might help with your leakage.  Good luck to you!
Jackie
 junopete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try stacking the Eakin seals.  I know a couple of people that have to stack them as much as 4 deep.  It seems to works for them.

Rick.....
 ok girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with convatec I have always used hollister but sure they are quite similar. I had the same problem when I had my ileostomy. Do you ues a convex flange? this might help along with the other barriers you use like the other advice you got
 artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Leaking Appliance Reply with quote

Jan...The Surgeon put my Stoma too close to by Bellybutton, so I had the same leakage problem you've had. To solve the problem, I make sure that the surrounding skin is clean and DRY, heat up the small Hollister Barrier Ring with an Electric Heating Pad(really makes them soft) place the ring on my Bag first, and it works great..lasts 3-4 days now. Good luck!
 Bosco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Coloplast Sensura and had a similar problem with a couple of small scars that left "dimples" right through the edge of the barrier.  I put a tiny smear of paste on the "dip" and that helps but my latest addition I read on this website--"Sure Seal Rings".  

I live in a hot climate and my barriers would never last more than 1-2 days.  The Sure Seal Rings have doubled the time between having to change the barrier with NO leakage.  (They are a thin, clear "second skin" that goes on top of the barrier and cover about 2 inches beyond the barrier.  Once applied it is invisible, allows oxygen to the skin--no irritation.)  I remove the pouch and shower with just the barrier and the Sure Seal Ring every day and still get at least 4-5 days before a change.  They are great!
 lottagelady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bosco - who makes these sure seal rings please?
Rach xxx
 beyondpar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it s called the anneaux  sure seal ring..edgepark is a destributor............i have some here in my car as we speak..If you cant find I will send them to you.Just let me know...Michael

www.edgepark.com,   keyword  sure seal.I believe they are made in france.....talk soon  Love  Michael
 lottagelady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, I have found them .... looks like they are only available on your side of the pond though, and are only good for 2 piece appliances?

Here is the link for a free sample for anyone who would like to try in the US or Canada!

http://www.alpglobal.com/products.aspx

Rach xx
 Bosco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did not see your post until now.  The package is labeled "Active Lifestyle Products" but I, too, get all my supplies from Edgepark Item# ALRS0210.  Previously everything would come loose when I mow the yard because of heat and sweat.  The seal I have on now I put on two days ago, showered twice, mowed the yard today, showered afterwards and it looks like it is still good to go another day or two.  It is great (for me)!  Good Luck!
 xtra baggage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was having the same problem, especially in the summer with the heat, sweat and general activity.  1 to 4 days was all they would last.  i switched to a snug hollister convex barrier combined with a liquid adhesive and the 7805 hollister barrier ring.  now i am getting 5 to 7 days with no lekage even using the hot tub a couple times a week.  i warm the ring on the vanity light while i shower,  dry off real good then use a skin prep, then apply thin coat of liquid adhesive.  i hit that with a hair dryer for about a minute, then apply the warm barrier ring to the barrier, then attach to skin and press for about a minute and presto, no worries for a few days.  hope this helps.  its taken 3 years of trial and error to come up with this process that works for me.  good luck
 butterfly48

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new at this.  What I have learned is that it really depends on the output and how quickly
it comes out into the bag.  So if the output is thick I don't have as much leakage.  When It
comes out fast and is more liquid is when I have more problems.  So, therefore, I eat marsh
mellows, peanut butter, banana's, rice etc.  I really wish I could eat salads, but at this time
It causes too much gas etc.  I personally like the adapt barrier rings from Hollisters  and also the barrier strips paste from coloplast their alot cheaper.  The barrier strips you can fill in any
dips it seems to work.  I like the coloplast because they give you 20 bags a month so you can
change as often as you want also use their sensura click convex with the belt.  Does anyone
know how to use the baking soda for cleaning bag?  butterfly48

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, extra baggage,
Which liquid adhesive do you use?  Thanks.
 xtra baggage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its made by new hope.  brown bottle with blue and white label.  i bought it off ebay.

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: