Can we eat salad? Need ideas!

Replies
Views
Williamjefferson

Before our ileostomy, we did not notice the food that passed through our intestines. I feel the only thing missing is my large bowel. Food had to go through the small intestine then, so why not now? I eat everything now that I did before. I do chew my food better after a blockage that was really caused by an adhesion wrapped around my intestine. I had to eat a lot of kidney beans, and they were blocked. I had to have surgery, and the doctor told me that the adhesion had closed my intestine to the size of a pencil. After surgery, out came the beans. I still eat them but make sure I chew them up well. No other problems. I love taco salads, corn on the cob, mushrooms, and all veggies. I can also eat popcorn by the bowlful. We are all a family, and we know best about each other as we have been there and done that. I love my fellow ostomates. Thank you to all.

DianeRaven

I eat salad, vegetables, etc. I think it's trial and error. "Bag Ladies" [Stoma Nurses] don't know everything.....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,459 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Last evening, I had a huge (for me) chicken stir fry. Crunchy bean sprouts, peppers, cabbage strips, grated mushrooms, carrots - everything forbidden in there. I sat back and waited for the explosion to happen all evening, slept very lightly in case the bedclothes needed changing, and lo and behold, to think I got away with no "trouble". Amazing. However, I still have not tried lettuce.

Stef

Hi, I've had mine since January. I was told the same, but over the last few weeks, I've tried different things out to see what happens. I had complications with mine and ended up in the hospital for 3 months; it stopped working. I can't have dairy or gluten since I had the operation. Onions ran straight through me. I eat apples and peaches without skin, no problem. I tried lettuce last week and had no problems. I also use Lomotil, which helps me big time. I don't have to empty the bag half as much anymore.