Naming My Stoma: Meet Ferb, My New Sidekick!

Replies
Views
policecar99
I am a relatively new ostomate, having had the surgery in November. After having gone through 3 previous surgeries (1 in March 2009 and 2 in May 2009, both emergencies), I finally had a colostomy. So far, it is the best thing I have done. I have my life back. My "Quality of Life" bag used to be huge to carry all the clothes and things I needed to make sure I had at all times. After the surgery, my "Quality of Life" bag is the little black bag that Hollister sent to me and I only need to carry stoma things in it.

My 6-year-old granddaughter was very curious about my stoma. She asked a lot of questions and I answered the ones that I could. Like I said... new at this. She is the one who decided my stoma needed a name, so she named him "Ferb" as in Phineas and Ferb on the Disney Channel. I had never heard of it, but she liked it, so my stoma became Ferb. Now if Ferb lets loose "submachine gun" gas... she says FERB!!!! That was just rude! lol There have also been times when Ferb has gas, and she then also has some. She says she is talking to Ferb. I tell her, yeah, but Ferb's "words" don't stink! lol
Grammybec

Out of the mouths of babes... I love it. The idea that she is interested at such a young age is great, and I love the nickname she gave your stoma. I named mine Little H... kind of a long story, but something my late husband would have gotten a big kick out of. Welcome to this site... it will be very helpful and you will meet a lot of very nice people that can share helpful hints and give moral support when needed. Becky

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Hahahahah love Ferb Cherry (tomato) hahaha mooza

mooza

Stoma nhames, there is a website I found yonks ago somewhere on the web. Very funny and true, mare chezza. LOL

flying free

I love all the names people give to their stomas/bags. From day one, mine has been Naughty Boy, and I named myself to my friends Bag Lady. LOL From Flying Free aka Kay

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Flying free. Lovely wink but naughty boy sounds like you don't like it. Will be in touch soon.

Past Member

Flying free. Lovely wink but naughty boy sounds like you don't like it. Will be in touch soon.

flying free

Hi Hotrock, well I can't say I am keen on my Naughty Boy, but I guess he has grown up a bit now and usually behaves okay.

Snookis Mum

Snooki... because she is full of sh#t.

JudiA

I too refer to myself as a bag lady - get really weird looks when I do lol. As far as the stigma goes, this time around (4th stoma) I call it "the spout" and it spouts off a lot!