what pets do you have

Views: 132 Replies: 2

what is this

Views: 113 Replies: 0

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Disposing of a ostomy bag at a friend's house

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,758 members interested in a relationship

10,338 members looking for support

109,346 exchanged private messages

47,799 forum posts

1,263 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Tips

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 tello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Disposing of a ostomy bag at a friend's house Reply with quote

I have an ileostomy and i like to use closed end pouches and change them twice a day.  I can carry an Ostaway Bag (black, thick, zip-lock) with me and keep a fresh closed end ostomy bag with me in my pocket.  Often when I am at someone's house i need to dispose of one bag and put on a fresh one.  I really prefer using the closed-ended pouches and i know there isn't any smell if they are put inside the black, thick, Ostaway Zip-Lock Bag.  My question is; do you think it is o.k. to throw this in someone's bathroom wastebasket?  I know i could also face the problem of being at someone's house, needing to change bags and finding they don't have a wastebasket in their bathroom!  I know I could use a drainable pouch but since I don't have that much output I would much rather just "pop-off" one bag and put on a fresh one.  Does anyone dispose of their bags/pouches in the way i am proposing?  I am so new to this and it really stresses me out.  Please give me your ideas!

Thanks,
Tello
 delilah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Disposing the bag Reply with quote

Hi Tello,

If they're good friends they'll understand you have to change it and you will be able to dispose of the bag easily in the bin.

But why stress yourself out, just use drainable ones and you can just go to the toilet and flush it away. I think I'm right in saying that most people use drainable ones as they need to empty more often than twice a day.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Delilah
 funnygurl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Disposing of pouch Reply with quote

I just take my doggy bag with my pouch out to the garbage can or bin at a friend's house.  I usually get stuff out of my car or take short trips to pick things up and it is easy to throw it in the bin.  If I am in a public washroom I put it in the sanitary napkin recepticle.  Most of my close friends know I have an ostomy but it is pretty easy to dispose of it discretely I find.  One of my friends lives in a high rise and the garbage bin has restricted hours for use so I try to time changes around that.  If that is not possible I put the doggy bag inside a grocery bag and tie it tight and dispose of it in the morning.  I have stayed in high end hotels and travelled on cruise ships without much hassel.  I do take an incontinence pad with me to put on the sheets in case of a leak at night.
 rosiemoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine in a doggy bag,and put it in the main household rubbish bin,all my friends know i have a stoma,so they understand.I carry a small make-up bag with me with all i need in it,also i was given a free key to use disabled loos when im out.
If i do have to change at someones house i warn them first as it can be a bit smelly.
 Immarsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have to empty way to often, to use a closed end pouch, but I travel a lot, stay at hotels, and friends homes ( who do not know I have an ostomy) and have never had a problem with disposal of my pouch.  If I'm in someone's home and have to change, I rince out the soiled bag, and put it in a trash bag to dispose of it in the main trash bin ( outside).  I don't like to leave it in their bathroom....always fear a pet dog can go rummaging.  In a hotel, I just wrap it well, and leave it in the trash.  I don't spend money on "poopy bags", and have never ( in 40 years) have had to change in a public rest room.    But yes.....at 16, I did change in a camp stall toilet, at midnight, with  only a flashlight  with wasps flying around.  that's when I was too young and fearful to ask to use a "real" bathroom.
 Pinky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What great responses to what must be an age-old question!  I agree that I would not leave it in the bathroom, because who knows, your friend could go rummaging through the waste basket and (inadvertently) open the EZ Ostoway bag - then yuuuuuck!  I too vote for using the outside garbage if available, if not, then a grocery bag and into the trash that will be emptied soonest (but probably NOT a trash compactor!) and the sanitary napkin receptacle in public bathrooms.

Before I irrigated my colostomy I used the Colo-Majic liners which can be flushed, except NOT into a septic system.  But in public restrooms they were great.  That was back when I had Cigna and they didn't allow nearly enough pouches to get a person through the month!     Smile
 bigtrev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God!- how lucky am I! I have had my colostomy for almost 11 years! I use a two piece appliance and the disposal bags are scented. I am a part time entertainer and never have any problem with disposal! You know why? - When people ask me do I not wish I was 'normal again' I say 'this is normal for me!' 'what's normal for you?'
 airforce1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the drains one as empty often my friends  ko what i have so the is no embrassing thing going on a 5 hour trip in bus next week spoke to bus company if i need to stop they said no issue
 PsychoJane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Here comes a solution! Reply with quote

I've never tried them, but these seems to be working well. http://colomajic.com/ That would probably solve your problem easily! Smile
 Frenchie55

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use drainables and when its time to change the flange and bag, I empty water in it to take out the biggest part and wrap it in a foil paper and leave in bathroom garbage  bin.
 susjs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure it's not as smelly or messy as having baby diapers around.  I always have zip lock bags with me and, like others here, deposit them in garbage - just as my daughter-in-law does with my grandson's diaper...
 ZaliBee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to change at a friends house before.  I carry ziploc bags with my supplies so I rinsed out my bag, put it in a ziploc, then tied it in an old grocery bag before I put it in the main trashbin.

Overkill probably, but I didn't want to leave her any surprises.
 2emptyit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised at all of the comments about using ziplock bags and other types of plastic bags.  My experience is that they still smell and they often leak.  Try the pouch seals by ostosolutions.  They seal the smelly contents inside the pouch.   There is no odor and you don't have to worry about the pouch leaking into the bag which then smells.  These seals really work much better than plastic bags and they are easier and neater to use.

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Tips All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: