13,376 members   119,251 exchanged messages   52,321 forum posts
Currently online
7 visitors
Featured topic
Just to let you know I've met the most wonderful woman on here. Was never really looking in the first place but after receiving a wink ...
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Latest Topics

Views: 95 Replies: 8

pains in legs

Views: 31 Replies: 1

Stool Consistency

Views: 53 Replies: 2

New to the Raleigh area, pr...

Views: 52 Replies: 0

divorced due to the the ost...

Views: 113 Replies: 1

Ileostomy Op Date At Last

Views: 122 Replies: 6

Just for Laughs
View unanswered forum posts
Colo-Majic - The Liner People
It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org - the largest Online Ostomy Community

Best stool softener/Colostomy

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm
Could I please have benefit of experience on stool softeners?  I am taking a new Rx med that is really causing me problems.  I am drinking lots of water but I still need help!  Naturally, I would like something that doesn't create the opposite problem.  Thank you!

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm
Hi Carrie Ann

The standard over the counter stool softener is Duccosate Sodium (Colace is a brand name); doseage anywhere from 100mg daily to twice a day, or 250mg. daily.  You can titrate it with your judgement to keep things moving.  

Some natural remedies:  good old prunes or pruine juice daily; I have seen some folks here mention grape juice helps.  Bet the ostomates here have good advice on that.

Hope this helps.

By the way...love your picture.  What kind of horse?????
* Certified Wound and Ostomy Care Nurse
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 am
Thanks much!  I will try Colace.  PJ works, for sure, but I am low-carb dieting and that puts me over my carb limit.

Love getting a compliment on my horse -- thank you!  He is a quarter horse.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am
Hey Carrie Ann

I didn't stop to ask what type of ostomy you have????   If a colostomy, no problem to take stool softeners.  Urostomy, no problem.  If an ileostomy, you should NEVER need stool softeners or laxatives.   Just checking.....

It would be great if you would write a new thread about yourself and your horse, riding.    I've had one equestrian ostomate, and  another with upcoming surgery.  I get asked the questions, and can only answer technically that one should be able to do whatever they like post ostomy surgery.  I'd love to hear first hand from you.  I have horses, no stoma and a lousy rider myself...not a great one to give advice! Better heard from the horses mouth....  OK, I know that was a bad one.....
* Certified Wound and Ostomy Care Nurse
* Registered Nurse
* Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am
Whoa wrote:
Better heard from the horses mouth....  OK, I know that was a bad one.....

whoa, i belive this board is rubbing off on you!!! anyhow bravo...good one

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 pm
Lactulose is aslo an excellent stool softer that can be taken on a daily basis, it is commonly prescribed for older people to help move the bowels along, it's worth asking your  G.P if it is a sutible option for you.x

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 am
I find that room temperature apple sauce does it for me. I rarley have an issue when it comes to hard stool as I will have a small bit of apple sauce as a snack every afternoon and at night. It can't hurt...might help.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 am
Apple sauce huh, thats very interesting, i think i might try that from time to time, thanks lass.x
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.
Other topics