12,275 members   112,421 exchanged messages   49,302 forum posts
Advertisement
Currently online:
0 visitors
Featured topic
This is a couple of questions for Cutycall or anyone who can help. I have tried commenting on her post but I guess I can't if I am not a paid member. I will upgrade my membership soon. I have had an ileostomy now for almost 6 months and am due to fly soon, prob Jan. Can you tell me, what is an ostomy travel certificate ...
Advertisement
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Latest Forum Topics

Ileostomy reversal success ...

Views: 115 Replies: 2

Ostomy Family Reunion

Views: 185 Replies: 5

Just want to Know

Views: 360 Replies: 5

Troublesome loop ileostomy,...

Views: 265 Replies: 3

HELP with HOT TUBBING!

Views: 679 Replies: 7

Chatroom live talk tonight

Views: 220 Replies: 1

Just for Laughs

Advertisement
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator

Best stool softener/Colostomy

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community
  • 5,067 members interested in a relationship
  • 10,902 members looking for support
  • 112,421 exchanged private messages
  • 49,302 forum posts
  • 1217 blogs
  • 66 nurses
Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special
MeetAnOstoMate.org

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm
Could I please have benefit of experience on stool softeners?  I am taking a new Rx med that is really causing me problems.  I am drinking lots of water but I still need help!  Naturally, I would like something that doesn't create the opposite problem.  Thank you!
Nurse

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:53 pm
Hi Carrie Ann

The standard over the counter stool softener is Duccosate Sodium (Colace is a brand name); doseage anywhere from 100mg daily to twice a day, or 250mg. daily.  You can titrate it with your judgement to keep things moving.  

Some natural remedies:  good old prunes or pruine juice daily; I have seen some folks here mention grape juice helps.  Bet the ostomates here have good advice on that.

Hope this helps.

By the way...love your picture.  What kind of horse?????

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 am
Thanks much!  I will try Colace.  PJ works, for sure, but I am low-carb dieting and that puts me over my carb limit.

Love getting a compliment on my horse -- thank you!  He is a quarter horse.
Nurse

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am
Hey Carrie Ann

I didn't stop to ask what type of ostomy you have????   If a colostomy, no problem to take stool softeners.  Urostomy, no problem.  If an ileostomy, you should NEVER need stool softeners or laxatives.   Just checking.....

It would be great if you would write a new thread about yourself and your horse, riding.    I've had one equestrian ostomate, and  another with upcoming surgery.  I get asked the questions, and can only answer technically that one should be able to do whatever they like post ostomy surgery.  I'd love to hear first hand from you.  I have horses, no stoma and a lousy rider myself...not a great one to give advice! Better heard from the horses mouth....  OK, I know that was a bad one.....

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am

Whoa wrote:
Better heard from the horses mouth....  OK, I know that was a bad one.....

whoa, i belive this board is rubbing off on you!!! anyhow bravo...good one

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 pm
Lactulose is aslo an excellent stool softer that can be taken on a daily basis, it is commonly prescribed for older people to help move the bowels along, it's worth asking your  G.P if it is a sutible option for you.x

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:05 am
I find that room temperature apple sauce does it for me. I rarley have an issue when it comes to hard stool as I will have a small bit of apple sauce as a snack every afternoon and at night. It can't hurt...might help.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 am
Apple sauce huh, thats very interesting, i think i might try that from time to time, thanks lass.x
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.
G-ads
Other topics