which bag is better?

Views: 77 Replies: 3

tired and sad

Views: 281 Replies: 8

"Fix it: My Therapeuti...

Views: 94 Replies: 1

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator   It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher   Anatomical Apron

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Urostomy and ileostomy

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,391 members interested in a relationship

9,635 members looking for support

102,248 exchanged private messages

45,870 forum posts

1,207 blogs

63 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 suzy1957

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Urostomy and ileostomy Reply with quote

I just have been diagnosed with recurrant bowel cancer, my question is has anyone got a ileostomy and a urostomy. this might be a question that will have to answer to if i get the option after my pet scan results. I would like to make an informed choice on this matter.
If i'm lucky enough to get this option. As it is ,i will be getting my whole pelvis cleared. Will it be worth it? Can anyone help me? PLease suzy x

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Suzy,
I have got both, ileostomy and urostomy, though mine were not formed due to cancer, mine is through numerous problems in the past with my bowel and the urostomy was formed due to having a cystoplasty (implanted bowel into my bladder) that eventually broke down.
I so hope you can get advice from someone who has been through similar to what you are going through, although naturally it is so very sad that you or anyone else is needing to go through with this..

Tina..x
 JSKerry

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Suzy

i have both  - a colostomy and a urostomy...both due to colon cancer - stage IIIC.  i was diagnosed in 2007 and had the colostomy surgery in june and the tumor removed and urostomy surgery in september, 2007.  after radiation and chemo and the surgeries - i'm in remission for 3 years!!  Having two pouches, definately takes some getting used to, but after a very short while it becomes your "new normal".  Please let me know how you're doing.

*hugs*
 mooza

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey suzy i dont have both but i do a little work in my country we all become members Of Associations to get our supplys and i meet lots of people who have 1,2 and even 3 stomas they seem to get buy fine after awhile like we all do. I only have an ileostomy but i could ask for some info if you want!  im always amazed with what our members have too say im sure you will do fine . sorry i havnt got the information with me now but will try to get back to you .Good luck ..Sorry you have to go through all this . mooza .Australia x .P.S. Yes its worth it .........
 tragicallydave

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

I also. urostomy/ileostomy/complicated. 11 yearsish. Not cancer for me though. So sorry. Good luck. it is good you came here. I'm better now. It was tough but consider ing the alternative....
 suzy1957

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Duo bags Reply with quote

HI THERE THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, IF I'M LUCKY THEY WILL OFFER ME THE OPERATION TO REMOVE EVERYTHING, ALL THEY DID REMOVE MY LARGE BOWEL LAST YEAR BECAUSE IF IT WAS COMPLETLY REMOVED THE CANCER WOULD NOT COME, ALAS IT HAS, I CAN'Y GET RADIUM BECAUSE I HAD THE MAX DOSE IN THAT AREA SO THE CAN'T GIVE TO ME AGAIN, i JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW IT WORKS? AND SHOULD I GO FOR IT IF IS OFFERED? THANK  SUZY X
 JSKerry

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzy

double bags work pretty much the same as a single...just takes a little longer.  My urostomy used to leak - but i tried different manufacturers and am now using Hollister for both.  i tried convetec, but found that the "tupperware type of ring" on the Hollister ones work better for me.  The urostomy stoma is flush so i use a convex wafer to help "push" it out a little.  i use a convex one on the colostomy side too - even though i don't need it - since it's easier to put in place and i never have any leaks...the convex wafers seem to seal better for me.  I have found that "less is more" in that i don't use any extras such as special wipes, ekin seals, stoma paste and so forth.  i don't use any special soap either - whatever i happen to have in the shower - even the moisturizering soap is fine - i haven't found that it makes any difference with the wear time.  i also don't use a hairdryer like some people do to make the wafer adhere better - i just "press and seal" lol.  i shower with both - i don't take the urostomy wafer/pouch off in the shower on changing day - it's just too much of a mess since it never stops ...the colostomy i can take off completely on changing day and enjoy my shower with nothing on that side.  i usually change the urostomy every third day - the colostomy whenever the wafer tape starts to peel a little.  i used closed bags for the colostomy - so there's no cleaning out of them...just remove and toss and replace with a fresh one.  i've got it down to about 15 extra minutes for a change of both.  You'll find what system works for you - as you get used to the new you.  my recovery from the colostomy was uneventful - the urostomy and tumor removal was much more dramatic and painful...made even harder since my husband of 35 years walked out on me when all this happened and i had to go it all alone.  i also have no rectum - both surgeries are not reversable so this is my "new normal" lol.  Please let me know how you're doing - *hugs*

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to JS Kerry, I too have both and my story is about the same. Find what is right for you, giving plenty of time to get use to the new way of life. I carry around an extra of everything no matter where I go in an over the shoulder bag, sometimes leaving it in the car. I also use lomotil before dinners out so that I feel more comfortable and am not always heading to the loo. Most of my bowel was removed, therefore, I go constantly. My Ileo-conduit is much better behaved when out or even changing the bag. You'll soon get into a comfortable routine but relax with it and take a deep breath. Find some sort of humor in it all when things go wrong. Good luck.
 Heike99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Urostomy and ilestomy Reply with quote

I have both a urostomy and a colostomy. I was dx 2009 with cervical cancer and I had a recurrence 2010. I have a urostomy and colostomy since 2010.
 Big H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi suzie,
while I've had an ileostomy for a zillion years, I recently learned I now have bladder cancer and am undergoing chemo treatment. if the tumor shrinks I've been told to expect to lose my bladder (and perhaps my prostate) and wind up probably with an urostomy.
the prospect sucks but what can you do...that's life.
I'd be interested in what you eventually do.
good luck
h
 Irishgirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my ileostomy for 2 1/2 years and have adapted as best as I can.  Last August I was diagnosed with high grade bladder cancer.  After 1 year of Bcg treatments, and 3 surgeries to remove tumors, the cancer is relentless.  I will have radical bladder removal within the next couple of weeks.  I am terrified that I will not be able to manage 2 bags.  I am on the small side and I can't imagine how 2 bags are going to even fit.  I need a serious pep talk from anyone that has gone through this.

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: