Has anyone had a reconnection to a partial colon?

Replies
Views
Ostomight
Sep 29, 2023 4:56 am

I have an ileostomy and a mucus fistula. One-third of my colon was removed 14 months ago. Of course, I have learned that there are benefits to an ileostomy. I am not unhappy with my current situation. I met with and spoke to a surgeon about reconnection surgery, and he obviously couldn't tell me exactly how it would be for me if I got the surgery. Has anyone here had a reconnection to a partial colon?

Justbreathe
Sep 29, 2023 11:35 am

Ostomight - by the way, great name!

I hope you get some input regarding your question - I will be interested in any and all responses. Thanks for this post. jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,870 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostomight
Sep 29, 2023 12:58 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Thanks!

Beachboy
Sep 29, 2023 3:44 pm

Hey Ostomight,

Unfortunately, there's no good answer that addresses our individual physical variables. It's really going to be a "try it" and hope for a good result, which sucks.

Earlier this year, I decided against reversal. I had too many surgeries already.

Hope all goes well for you, whatever your decision.

TerryLT
Sep 29, 2023 9:06 pm

Hi Ostomight, it is impossible to predict your outcome, as there are so many variables and every situation is different. Generally speaking, the more colon you have, the better the chances of a good outcome. If your surgeon is promoting it and you trust him, that is a good sign; however, it might be a good idea to get another opinion. I was told I could have a reversal of my ileostomy, but chose not to. I have no colon left and my quality of life is good now, so I decided it was more risk than I was willing to take. Good luck with your decision.

Terry

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister