Problems with Two-Piece Ileostomy Bag: Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Jamie93
Does anyone have problems with making the underneath part of this bag (the part that attaches to the skin) last 3 days like they're supposed to? I do!

The stoma nurses/doctors say that seeing a white line around where the bag is fitted after a day is normal, but I think it's a constant worry because after just hours of having a fresh one on, it feels as though it's going to crinkle or tear. So I check it out and ruin the seal to make sure it fits well enough to last 3 days.

I have recently changed the type of bag I'm using (just yesterday, in actual fact). I used to use a one-piece bag that was covered, now I use a two-piece bag with a belt to add more support. I just want any advice on the two-piece bag.

At the moment there's a gap (about a centimeter) around the bag, the stoma nurses say this is for extra space for it to grow, but I'm not so sure. Should I cut the next one a bit smaller or just keep it the same size?
PJT
Jamie,

I use the two-piece Convatec Sur-Fit and I get 5 to 6 days out of it, sometimes even a full week. To ensure a tight fit around the stoma before I place the wafer/flange on to my skin, I take 4 small pieces of Stomahesive strips (about 1 1/4" or 3 1/2 cm each) and I place them on the dry skin around the stoma like a picture frame. This gives me a really tight seal. I then place the wafer with the flange over the Stomahesive strips. The idea is that even if the opening in the wafer is not exactly the size of the stoma, the Stomahesive strip pieces under the wafer give me a perfect seal. The strips are flexible so they flex with the stoma. My final step after I put on the wafer (although this might be overkill) is to take another piece of Stomahesive strip and wrap it around the base of the stoma over the wafer. I then snap on the pouch and I'm done. Finito! The whole process takes only about ten minutes after the skin is clean and dry and in 32 years I've never had any skin problems.

PJT
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,428 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Jamie,

PJT's advice is right on the mark! I use the same system and can get up to 5 days without a change. Try it, you'll probably like it.

X_

Past Member

Oh, that's how you use the strips - I never knew how to use them. I also use the Convatec 2-piece system and I can also get 5 days to almost a week. The only annoying thing is when I sweat or after showering, I find the bottom of the flange starts to roll up and I have had some leakage. So the strips are long, do you cut them? If you put on the strips under the flange, will the flange be more away from the body?

PJT
Hi Horsgurl -

The Stomahesive strips are about 4" long and 1/2" wide. I use 2 strips per change. One I cut into 3 equal-sized pieces. The second one I cut off one smaller piece to complete my picture frame and then I use the remaining longer piece for the final step when I wrap it around the base of the stoma after putting on the wafer. I fold the longer piece in half the long way so it becomes like a piece of fat spaghetti and it's very flexible and easy to wrap around the base of the stoma.
The four smaller pieces under the wafer don't cause any gaps or problems for me. I use the Sur-Fit Flexible and both it and the strips kind of mold into each other and become one. It's really a secure seal. My only problem is after taking a shower it takes a long time for the tape and wafer to dry. I don't want to get dressed while it's still damp so I have to lay down a while until everything is dry. I've tried a hairdryer but that doesn't work so well either.

Let me know how it goes.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
teter

Hi, I have had an ileostomy for 4 years. I use Hollister precut flanges and bags. With proper cleaning and prepping around the stoma, I can get a full week before it's time to change. I do 95% of the prep work. I have a PSW who comes in weekly. She helps center the flange around the stoma. Ask, and I will offer more info or help.

MarkP

In Australia, you can get a stoma collar from Ainscorp Salts. They come in various sizes and work quite well.

socalileo
Hi Jamie,

I agree with the concept that PJT and X_ use. However, I am not as coordinated as they are, or I don't have the patience to picture frame around my stoma.
I use Adapt paste. I put a thin line of the paste around the hole in the wafer, kind of like making a gasket to prevent leaks. I then wet my finger (so it doesn't stick to the paste) and mold the paste so that I have a complete "gasket" around the hole in the wafer. I then adhere the wafer to my skin. I put my hand over the wafer for a couple of minutes to warm up the paste. That makes it seep into all the nooks and crannies between my stoma and the wafer hole and voilà! No leaks!
socalileo
Xerxes
Soc_

Try using a hair dryer on the stomahesive before applying. You'd be surprised at how this helps with adherence.

X_
socalileo

X_
Is the hair dryer in place of holding my hand over it to warm it up?   How long do I use the hairdryer on it?   Are you just talking about the adhesive that is already on the wafer? or the paste too?
Sorry for all of the questions but I'm only a year and a half old on this and am not quite up on all of the real names of the supplies I use.
I like the suggestions and want to make sure I do them right. Many suggestions I have seen on this site have been helpful to me.
Thanks for your input, X_.
Socalileo
Xerxes

Social,

Yes, use the hair dryer in place of your hand. It gets warmer and is quicker. Whether it be the Hollister stomahesive or the Convatec wafer, remove the protective paper or plastic backing and warm it directly with the dryer (I use high, but I guess you can use low). I warm it for 15-20 seconds and then apply immediately to my skin. It really helps.

mincon

I use Cymed Micro Skin Platinum one-piece drainable pouch and it stays on for a week. It is pre-cut and I don't use anything else. Just make sure it is clean and dry around the stoma and put the pouch on. That is it for me. Call and ask for a free sample. It can't hurt to try it. I love it and it is very comfortable. The number is 1-800-582-0707.
Good luck,
Mindy

Past Member

I do see a white ring around the opening, too. Why is it? Does the white area get soft?
I use paste to secure it like the nurse told me to do so. Mine lasts 10 days. It can last even longer, but I just change it because most people are changing it every 5-7 days. Is there a risk in changing it longer than 10 days?

I also use very thin tape, kind of like the tape they use when you get an IV. They put tape on top of the needle.
I use this tape on top of the skin and wafer, and water never gets in. It just stays and stays!

Jamie93

I don't mean to brag, but I don't have a stoma anymore. I am very appreciative of all your comments on the subject and they worked wonders for me. But I did undertake serious surgery. To use its correct term, a Restorative Proctrectomy and formation of Ileo-Anal Pouch (this is kind of like an inside bag made up of a combination of muscles from the bottom and the stoma itself). I had an End-Ileostomy, so I am not sure that this surgery will work for all types of stoma.

Good luck with your envoys and I hope you all have the same piece of luck I had. No one wants to live with that bag forever. Some may do, but most won't. I do hope you're not one of the long-term ileostomists.

Thanks for your comments and good luck in the future.

Past Member

I'm pleased you had a pouch, Jamie. You can have a pouch with an end or loop stoma, it just depends on why you had an ostomy whether you can have a pouch or not.

Most of us live quite happily with a bag for the rest of our lives, and it doesn't stop us from doing anything.

Hope you don't have any problems with your pouch in the future, Jamie!