Loss of Taste After Meds and Surgery: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
kittybou
Dec 05, 2023 10:59 am

Beautiful day, warrior!

Might not be the prednisone. I've been eating that nasty drug since 1987 for a kidney transplant, and I have absolutely no problem with lack of taste or appetite. 😁🧑‍🎄😸

warrior
Dec 05, 2023 6:15 pm
Reply to kittybou

Thank you for the input.

That's a long time on prednisone.

In my case, the adrenal gland shut down, so I will be on a maintenance dosage forever.

For me, it's the most common denominator.

You must be familiar with this.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,883 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
Dec 11, 2023 1:02 pm

Ageusia, loss of taste - 3 levels: mild, severe, profound.

Updated: case closed 12/11/2023.

Well, well, butter my butt and call it a biscuit. There were ten of you replying to a thread in February I found in an "unrelated to ostomy forum" thread when Jodi first inquired about loss of taste after surgery. In that thread, all agreed their taste had changed and all concluded their intake of salt and/or sugar had changed after surgery. Most of you agreed salt cravings had increased. But there was a "huge" change in taste noted for some. Upon my own research for ageusia - for me, complete loss is what I am experiencing after my Ken butt surgery on October 9, 2023. Some of you may have seen and replied to my thread here, regarding loss of taste after surgery. Jodie's thread begins in February. I am satisfied with the idea that loss of colon and/or rectum does create ageusia to some varying degree. I only wish I had found this information sooner because I went into investigative mode trying to find an answer. Googled the shit out of ageusia, and what meds caused it. Learned a lot of things caused it, particularly head injury and COVID. And medications? Seems like any from A to Z can also cause it, but this thread and discussion nail it for me, case closed.

Of course, we weren't aware of this prior to surgery. It does seem taste does return eventually, which gives me hope. Thanks to all of you for chiming in. Only here will you get the answers that make sense.

Doing my Snoopy dance - Warrior.