Diet

Replies
Views
Past Member

Only 10

weeks with my new bff and am totally paranoid about trying new foods. May be a strange one but with Christmas next week I can’t get the days dinner out of my head. What can I eat ? What does anyone eat ? 

Beachboy

At the beginning, post op, remember to chew any food thoroughly.  Avoid raw vegetables.  Cooked vegetables are OK.

Avoid fruit with skin, Like apples.  Peel off the skin and it's OK to eat them.   

Avoid nuts, corn, popcorn, marshmallows, raisins, and high fiber food. 

As time goes by and you recover, try new foods.  Eat a little at a time.  Wait a day and see what happens.  All OK... then eat normal portion.

I avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks, sugary foods, high fiber foods, and the foods I listed to  avoid.

We're all different.  After you recover you'll gain  confidence to experiment with food and discover what works for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,522 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kittybou

I strongly suggest you stay away from Chinese hot mustard. 🫣🎄

warrior

agreed to above..however who exactly is yur bff?

is it an ilieo or colo?? i think i missed that part in yur thread. pls advise. 

i am 11 weeks post op. ilieo  food runs from me..i eat everything in sight.

A see- food diet☺️

Ben38

There's no easy answer it's trial and error try everything in small amounts then if it was to cause a problem it will be short lived,   I know thats more tricky over the festive season with all the choices of food available...at 10 weeks you should be healed well enough to try just about anything.....most of us can eat everything without any problems fingers crossed it's the same for you........Happy Christmas have a good time 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy
Reply to kittybou

Oh yeah.... easy on the spicy, hot stuff.  Goes in hot... comes out hot.

Past Member
Reply to Beachboy

Had 1 partial blockage and 2 nights in hospital following 2 slices of pizza., lesson learned . Was scary experience. Miss my fruit and veg badly but tolerated a small smoothie AND butternut squash korma this week so win winning. Don’t drink alcohol or fizzy so that’s easy. And coffee is going down well again . Just frightened to go to things like sprouts, tomato’s , kimchi, lettuce etc . Thanks for reply thou 

nuala 

Past Member
Reply to Beachboy

Had 1 partial blockage and 2 nights in hospital following 2 slices of pizza., lesson learned . Was scary experience. Miss my fruit and veg badly but tolerated a small smoothie AND butternut squash korma this week so win winning. Don’t drink alcohol or fizzy so that’s easy. And coffee is going down well again . Just frightened to go to things like sprouts, tomato’s , kimchi, lettuce etc . Thanks for reply thou 

nuala 

Past Member
Reply to kittybou

Noted 😂😂😂

Past Member
Reply to warrior

My bff is an ileo and is called Audrey Hepburn due to her pretty black dress 😊

Beachboy
Reply to Anonymous

I would start out really slow with foods like pizza.  I began with one small slice, chewed very well. 

For the first few months post op, I avoided tomatoes, onions, pickles, lettuce.  I would order hamburgers plain, bun and beef patty only.  Now at 1 year post op, I can eat a burger with a slice of tomato, onion, and pickles with no problem.  I do chew, chew, chew real thoughly and drink plenty of water.  I also occasionally eat a small salad with no trouble. 

Cantaloupe, banana, carrots, strawberry, cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, ham, turkey, beef steak, chocolate, Greek plain yougurt,seedless watermelon, pineapple slices, potatoes, shrimp, salmon, pasta, halibut, rice, soups... all digest well and have caused me no trouble.  I drink an Ensure Enlive protein/vitamin shake every morning. 

Grape and pineapple juice result in watery output for me.  Orange juice does not. 

Worst thing I ate... a medium bag of popcorn with no butter.  Slowed down output for 2 days, then slowly came out like thick sludge.  So thick and heavy I couldn't empty my bag.  I use 2 piece Hollister.  So easy to snap off and replace a fouled up bag.

Also, I do get quite a bit of stomach growling and gurgling.  This is normal.

warrior
Reply to Anonymous

aah an ilieo... thanks.👍

u got a picture of audrey? that sounds hot😉.

also sounds like your diet is vegan? no meat?

for six yrs i have had no issues. no blockage. drinking fluids helps. 

now health issues? That's another story altogether.😵