Issues with New Hope Fecal Collector for Nighttime Use

Replies
Views
Pattypoo
Dec 23, 2023 12:30 am

I am a 10-year veteran with my colostomy, so I should be able to figure this out. I purchased a New Hope Fecal Collector because I have nightly leaks, and I am having connector issues with the end of the pouch and the tube they sent. Does anyone else use one of these?

Beachboy
Dec 23, 2023 9:26 pm

I had never heard of this until now. I looked it up. Mainly for IBD and IBD. The drainage tube connector end is round and comes in 2 diameter sizes. There should be a bag available with a round drainage connector to fit the drainage tube. If a bag is unavailable, you must customize the bottom of a bag, insert the tube connector, then tape it for sealing. I'm thinking duct tape or water hose tape, available on Amazon.

If you use a 2-piece system, you could have one bag adapted with the hose for nighttime. Then change in the morning to a regular bag.

Bag modification:

Cut off the bag velcro closure with scissors. Insert the hose connector so half is in the bag, half sticking outside of the bag. Form the plastic bag around the connector, use tape and wind it around the connector and plastic. Try to avoid tape wrinkles. You want half the tape on the bag, half on the connector.

Try it out. Connect the hose to the collection container. Hold up the bag. Pour in some water through the bag flange opening. Check for leaks. If it leaks, put on more tape. Or take the tape off and redo the connector taping again. Tape wrinkles can cause leaks. Try for an even overlapping as you wind the tape. You could also try a different tape.

Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
Dec 27, 2023 2:03 am

This sounds... totally tubular! 🤙

Ok... pressing the elevator button for hell...

This could be a very helpful machine. Basically, the poo gets transferred (sucked?) into another bag or storage container alongside the bed? I will Google it.

But it's worth a shit. I mean shot...

Could expand on an idea like this to ease ballooning and mid-morning potty runs... 🤔🤔 and potential leaks...

Great details, BB. Thanks.