Opinions on Cymed Ostomy's MicroSkin pouching system?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and opinions on the Cymed Ostomy's MicroSkin pouching system.
~traci~

Has anyone ever tried this company Cymed Ostomy? They make a MicroSkin pouching system. I received my samples in the mail today and I have never seen anything like this product. Thanks~Traci~

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Nio traci, what is it? Not tape???

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
healthyguy

Hi Traci,
To answer your question, yes I have tried it on 2 different occasions. Each time, they only lasted about 4-6 hours and came off. Worst appliance I ever tried.
Good luck!!!

lowflyingbs

Traci,

I tried one quite a few years ago. It didn't last a day until I developed a leak around the flange, so I never used it again.

Never hurts to try, but if you have something that's working, I find it's usually best to stick with it.

~traci~

Thanks guys!! ~Traci~

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Suz2
Hi, Traci. I've used Cymed and the product varies from box to box on how good it is. I had one box that was great. I got about 5-7 days out of each pouch. They were the one piece press n seal closure with filter. The next box I ordered lasted about 3-4 days but the plastic covering the filter wasn't perforated. Called the company and they suggested using a straight pin and poking a few small holes over the filter. That worked fine.

The third box I ordered only lasted about 2-3 days but by that time I was having problems with every flange/pouch set I used. I posted asking for suggestions about getting the flange to hold thru high liquid/bile output, got great suggestions. Ended up that I was in a Crohn's flare and now I'm back on my Crohn's med and things are improving. That being said the length of time with the Cymed product has lenghtened. I'm back up to 3-4 days. Right now I'm alternating between Cymed and Hollister trying to decide which I want to stay with.

One thing about the Cymed product. I found that out works best if you do NOT use any skin prep with it. I wore one last week that the flange lasted almost a full 5 days but the filter didn't make it thru 3. I put one on 3 days ago and I used a skin prep, not thinking about which set I was using, and it leaked by the 3rd day.

What I like best about the Micro skin on the flange is that it sticks no matter what! When I had the leaking of the flange, none of the output got past the Micro Skin. It contained EVERYTHING so that I could get to the bathroom (AT WORK!) and clean up and change my set. When the Hollister leaks/separates, the WHOLE flange leaks, all onto my clothes. Granted, that's only happened twice in the 2 years I had my colostomy but the Micro Skin is a big PLUS for Cymed. It gives you security so that you can deal with the problem and save your clothes.

I'm gonna keep working with the Cymed products. I have high hopes that once my flare is under control that I can get more consistancy out of it.

Good luck with your samples! Keep trying new samples, you never know when you might find the one that works best for you.
andieb
Hi Traci,

I had my 'Friend the Stoma' put in June '10 due to fistulas from Crohn's.
My stoma initially was an introvert and needed to wear a deep convexity faceplate. Now I have a pretty moderate-sized hernia under the stoma which has protruded the stoma. A fickle 'Friend' I have! Cymed is a blessing.

At first, Cymed has a learning curve on how to apply the product. I'm a nurse also
and it looks like the clear plastic covering we put over an IV site.
You will need two pairs of hands, just kidding.
Read the directions over and over until you can easily understand the steps on how to place it on the skin and then to also know which order to start peeling back the paper coverings. If not done right, the edges of the sticky film will start to adhere to itself or stick on the wrong area of skin that you didn't want it to go to.

The Cymed Pouch System has such a soft and small area for a

'faceplate'. It works great as it allows me to place it over the top of the hernia mound and it kind of drapes over it like a melting ice cream cone. I tried many brands and styles but due to the stiffness of parts of the faceplate, it just sort of stays on the top of the mound like a frisbee on a stick. The only problem I don't like with Cymed's design is that when I need to rinse out the bag, the ends close easily and the water misses the entrance, down onto my leg, then on the Armani pants carefully not to miss the new Aldo Sandals as I'm heading out to a dinner party! I wish, just dreaming about the new clothes. Good luck!
Past Member

I recently ordered Cymed products, Micro Skin two-piece pouching system.

I have been having a bit of skin irritation - minor - but I don't want it to get bad. So I am being proactive. Trying something different.

I don't have much of anything to report yet. I read instructions very carefully and again with each step. It went on easy enough but could have been a mess if I had not listened to you here on this site.

It has just been a tiny bit of time but I do like the way it moves with my skin. I don't like the plastic feel.

Time will tell me more. I'll report here.

Past Member

I loved the feel, the comfort, just about everything. I was very careful to understand directions for applying it, and didn't have difficulty. It is different to apply from what I am familiar with. It was almost like skin on skin. Very comfortable. Easy to forget it was there.

I use a convex appliance ordinarily. I seem to need that shape. My main problem was that output began to collect under the appliance the same day I applied it - several hours later. So, it ultimately didn't work for me but there were so many things I really liked.

For people with more of an 'outie', rose bud stoma, it might be perfect. My flatish bud needs help. I will continue to watch for reports. Carol

Past Member

Dawn, this has nothing to do with this topic, but, didn't you say that you were going into a
"vow of silence" yesterday and again this morning? Or was I dreaming? A lot of us were concerned about you and I read more than a few posts from concerned folks about you enjoying
your sabbatical and hurrying back to us as we miss you. Were, and are you pulling our legs? I know that there is a sense of humor here that I don't always comprehend. If that is the case, then I am sorely disappointed.

Jacksprat
Past Member

Dawn, this has nothing to do with this topic, but didn't you say that you were going into a
"vow of silence" yesterday and again this morning? Or was I dreaming? A lot of us were concerned about you and I read more than a few posts from concerned folks about you enjoying
your sabbatical and hurrying back to us as we miss you. Were, and are you pulling our legs? I know that there is a sense of humor here that I don't always comprehend. If that is the case, then I am sorely disappointed.

Jacksprat[/quote]

Yes, I had plans to spend a month or more (two) in silence and solitude in the woods totally alone - wilderness - no human contact. I do this fairly often - once a year? It is a powerful experience for me.

.... best laid plans ... family needs, and other (new) commitments have temporarily postponed things. Needs of others preempted mine. I am not yet fully into the humor of waiting. And, I am talking non-stop.

When I realized I had caused concern, I was deeply sorry. My vocabulary often comes from my spiritual teachings. I forget that it doesn't translate to everyone.

I have been and I am trying to apologize and explain (my blog). Also, it never occurred to me that anyone would think that "going into the silence" would equate with dying. The term is common with my teachings from Native Americans, Buddhist, and Hindu. It is an integral part of my life and spiritual pursuits.

I would never purposefully cause concern or any other negative thoughts. I do a lot of leg pulling but try to always let others know that my tongue is in my cheek. My disappointment is that I may have harmed or offended another. Once again, deeply sorry.

Tongue in cheek ... 'squatting in the woods' is so much easier with my pouch. My 67-year-old body doesn't squat very easily. ... still, pack it in and pack it out.

Past Member
Dawneagle,

It is not for me to look down my nose at you, and please don't think that I am. It was, as I said, that quite a few people here were genuinely concerned about your health. That, sweetheart, was the impression you gave me. Again, I am not speaking for anyone except myself. I don't know how others who were concerned about you feel. Don't get me wrong, I still care about your health, as I do about others in this forum.

I am glad that you are in fine health and appreciate what you have gone through.

As far as your apology goes, you don't owe me one.

I look forward to many more communications with you and consider you my friend.

God bless.

Jacksprat
gutenberg
Carol: Its so nice to see you back and I can really understand your line----
"I am not yet fully into the humor of waiting".
There is nothing that bugs me more than setting a time to do something and Murphy's Law shows up.
I know you must be disappointed to have to put off your trip into that place you would be at peace with yourself and gain the courage to face whatever life throws at you, but your day will come, until then we'll be putting you through your paces, all the best Ed
Past Member

It was, as I said, that quite a few people here were genuinely concerned about your health.

In absolute seriousness - it never occurred to me that anyone would be concerned. I am humbled by your comments - all of you.

Since I first began to realize the power of words, I have tried to be careful with mine. I will be more so.

Thank you, Carol

ZACK

This is Zack from Michigan. I have had my ileo since 1976 and have tried about every brand and variety of appliance there is. What others have said, find what works for you and stay there.

I found the CYMED stuff to last the longest (like a full week or so) and have never had a leak that wasn't my own fault. I am using CYMED Microskin "Platinum Series" one-piece drainable, with "MicroDerm Plus Washer". Wouldn't trade even one pouch for 100 other brands, and I have tried them all. Good luck.

Past Member

Yes, I have tried to use the samples, but trying to peel off the flange proved to be a disaster. The flange is so thin that it is almost impossible to separate or peel off the cover.

TB Cat

I have tried many pouching systems over the last year and have "homed in" on the Cymed one-piece Micro Skin system as the absolute best for me. With the Cymed pouch, I use a Hollister Adapt Barrier Ring. Careful installation is the key to success with any of these systems. A clean, dry area around the stoma is a must. Using a hair dryer to warm and dry this area is the best way to go. I have no problem with changing every 5 days.
Since I found this system to work for me, my life has returned to near normal without the worry of pouch failure when you don't want it to happen.
I recommend trying these. Cymed is also very good about discussing their products with you and does offer free samples. Their motto is "Life Without Limitations".
Good luck.

nbaker

This reply is not related to this topic. My question is "Why is there an advertisement for 'ULTIMATE DOG DOODIE BAGS" sitting right next to this!!???!!???"

Mrs.A

Hahaha, I don't see the ad but maybe because some folks use them to dispose of their used bags in them. They are small and are a good way of throwing your bags in your trash while keeping them contained. I find the dollar store Ziploc's do the trick also but the doggie ones are at least not clear if the neighbor's cat gets into your trash and tracks it about the curb...Just a thought.