Massage

Replies
Views
pixiec

any solutions for getting massage on your back?  I won't lie face down on a massage table because of the pressure on my stoma.  Can't find a masseuse who will work with me on my back!

eefyjig

Hmm, any massage therapist should acknowledge each client's situation and tailor the massage accordingly. Some people can't lay too far back in the dental chair and the dentist will keep the back of the chair elevated. And isn't there a point in the massage where they ask you to flip from your front to your back anyway? It's worth the mention to them, to just ask for it all to be on your back, even if it's a shorter massage. I'm curious to know if you make any progress. Please let us know!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,522 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

I go to the chiro monthly laying on my stomach with no issues, it's just a matter of timing.

eefyjig
Reply to Axl

Me, too. The last massage I had I began on my front. After about fifteen minutes I said, "I'm not comfortable on my front anymore. Can I turn over?" He told me to flip over, no questions asked. I just had a weird omen that time, usually I'm fine on my front as long as my stoma is quiet. 

warrior

a good chiro will suggest alternates.

standing. sitting. back only.

if u brought a cushion or inflatable donut ( the type u sit on ) or use a pillow to support yur area, i see no reason front or back massages cant work. 

the chiro should know. if not, educate him if u like him. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
JVM261

I’ve seen chairs that you could sit on. Let me see if I can find a photo from like the stock form or something.  Maybe you could find something like that or finagle something so that you have it when you get a massage.

Cplumber

I do chair massage all the time. Malls around here have them, actually easier to schedule, and have done many massages just laying on my back, just need the right masseuse I guess. Thanks for the reminder I sure could use a nice massage after the holidays

I’m out 

Reiki06

Hi, as I qualified masseuse myself my best advice to you would be , change your practioner rather than your position. The aim of therapy is relaxation and this can only be found in comfort etc.  Try a few therapists till you find a connection therefore maximising your experience.  Good luck x x

Longroad78

I use the u shaped neck pillow to place under me to keep pressure off the stoma. Works perfect with no issues. 

pixiec
Reply to Reiki06

I've changed practitioners many times since the masseuse who would work on my back while I lay on my back, broke her arm and retired.  No one here is trained to do this.  They want me to lay on my side, which does not work for "deep" back work.  I'm trying someone new next week.  

pixiec
Reply to Longroad78

okay.  Thanks; I'll try a pillow.  Good suggestion.

pixiec
Reply to JVM261

thank you for this suggestion.

pixiec

Found a great solution.  Found out there is a foam support that therapists have for pregnant women.  It has a bowl cut out that allows for a pregnant belly and it fit's my pouch area perfectly.  Now I can have massage lying on my front using the support.  This really is the answer to the problem and I assume the curved pillow would work as well.  Hope your therapist has this support.