Drugs and stoma

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi folks

I'm new here and not sure about the etiquette. If there is a relevant thread going already please let me know.

Anyway 7 years ago I got an emergency stoma . It nearly killed me . Long story . Since then there has been a few trips to the hospital . Each time I get blasted with opioid painkillers ,benzos and what not. Over time these things have gotten under my skin . I don't use but I think about more pain pills every day. I recently broke a rib and I asked my doctor for some pills to get me through 3 nights . He gave me a big bag of opioids I did not want and I can't get it out of my mind. Anyone else feeling the pull to the dark side as an unwanted side effect of stoma surgery?

kittybou

Nope, because they make me throw up, projectile!! Duck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bob 48

You couldn't have said no to the large bag and said you only want 3 days at most. I had kidney stones a few weeks ago and had to get them removed a few days later and told Dr's I only wanted the extra strength aleve or ibuprofen, I try to stay away from opioids because I fear a blockage from past experiences besides the addiction they could lead to.

w30bob

Hi Fred,

No, I can't say I've ever been in that boat.  But having that demon sitting on your shoulder whispering in your ear all the time must really suck.  I've got a best friend who got addicted to crack and fell hard.  He successfully got thru rehab but he tells me whenever things get bad......the temptation is always there.  Luckily they have him on a medication that will cause serious adverse reactions if he gets weak and tries it.  It seriously limits the type of painkillers he can be on when he gets sick and needs to be........but he knows it's for the best.  We're pullin' for ya!

;O)

Beachboy

That's a tough one Fred.

I've had pain so bad, I just curled up screaming.... for days at a time.  When  eventually I was put in the hospital for 28 days, I initially refused pain medication.  Did not want side effects or addiction.  It was extremely hard.  A few hours before surgery I reluctantly agreed to 3 morphine shots through my IV.  Pain and extreme weight loss had beat me down, and I couldn't talk through clenched teeth.  Got a little relief, said goodbye to my wife... off to exploratory surgery.  After recovery, never gave pain medication another thought.

It's easy to become addicted.  Harder then hell to get, and stay.. sober.  Give the pills back to the doctor.  Tough it out.  You will thank yourself later.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon

When someone you love dies from an overdose it can change how you see those little pills quickly.  

AlexT

Sometimes it’s just time to grow up and be done doing stupid things in one’s life. Nobody is forcing you to take anything. 

Past Member

Thanks for reading the post everyone . And for the replies .. all comments taken aboard and appreciated ..

Morning glory

Fred , it sounds like you are addicted already  to a degree. If you are thinking about the drugs. I had a brother that had a drug addiction. It is so painful to  watch someone  killing  themselves  this way. Please let your Dr's know and seek help. Most Dr's here in the states are closely monitored on their prescription for opioid drugs. It takes guts to reach out like you did.

Past Member
Reply to Morning glory

Hi

Not addicted at all but rather I do feel the pull towards drug abuse .I think I may have painted the wrong picture here . I have no intention of going down the addiction road. I love the simple  life . I have seen friends go down that road and i know there is no gold at the end of that rainbow. Im more interested in the conversation about how a potential habit during   the ulcerative colitis treatment  journey can be a hazard . I am curious to know if it is just me or has anyone else stumbled over this problem . The stoma journey broke me once already and I dusted myself off and got( mostly) happy and stable again . I have no plans to flush it away on pills . But ......and this is the dilemma,  I have chosen life  yet an unforseen side effect of the treatment is the pull to play in the shadows.