Maintaining Equilibrium

Replies
Views
Jayne

Are there any particularly helpful exercises that Members have learned that they have found to be particulalry good to practice in times of exacerbated stress?

In my particular case, I am finding the possibility of Deep Line Feeding being a long term outcome following a necessary repartive surgery to free a section of trapped bowel following a repair for a herniated bowel after traumatic explantation surgery of the TIES devise.

Whilst I totally Trust my current surgical Team - I am not in the best place as regards being mentally relaxed, and positively prepared for my upcoming further surgical intervention.

Some folks who are strong, personally motivated, well researched individuals, have had the benefit of Councelling for Post Traumatic Stress - and I am coming to learn that such councelling should not be viewed as a personal weakness - but as a sensible supportive facilitating action in order to best prepare the patient to be in the best posssible place in preparation for ongoing surgical proceedures.

However - frustratingly - there is an extensive waiting list here within the UK to access such therapy - currently in excess of four months and then counting after an initial assessment! 

Hence I am throwing open the question of what useful exercises - self help techniques - the memebership here has learned whilst in Trauma Therapy!

Accordingly, I invite, not the sharing of personal details - which are a private matter - but the sharing of specific methodologies that Patients have learned, from their respective Councelling therapissts which have proven to be of ongoing benefit, allowing a practical action on the part of the Patient - as learned when receiving Trauma Therapy.

I feel that such a sharing may not only be of persoanl benefit to me - but also be of general interest to the Memebership.

I thank any Memeber whi is prepared to share such methodolodligies they have learned through professional therapy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~   waves from the hills of Mid Wales and the Coastal shores of Pembrokeshire, in the UK ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Trauma therapy apparently can offer really helpful hand on particicipation by the Patient ???

Thanks in anticipation of a public exchange of practical methodologies.

Best Wishes

Jayne

kittybou

I take my pup, Rocket, to the park,  it's a mile around the pond and it is good exercise for both of us. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,525 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Is the TIES device still being used? 

OstomyCure AS website is still promoting  it.  Is the company helping you?

AlexT

Axe throwing. 😁 Taking dogs to the lake. Spending time with your significant other. Anything to take your mind off whatever it is stressing you. Anyone just sitting around, moping, and not occupying their mind/body with something is just hurting themselves

Jayne
Reply to AlexT

Indeed sitting round in negativeity is singularly unhelpful and not recomendable to anyone.

I am curious to learn what practical intervention is offered bto those who have undergone Traumatic Counselling - as I have not encountered any traumatic ounselling as of keying this reply - I am usually a focussed self help positive mind over matter person who does not spend any time taking 'prisoners' and just gets on with living and progressing life

-

Currently I find myself in uncharted territory!

Thanks for the input I find your positivity universally uplifting - and try and input for others in a simailar vein - albeit in my ownstyle.

Thanks for your input Alex - appreciated.

BW

Jayne

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jayne
Reply to Beachboy

Hello Beach Boy,

You are right Ostomycure continue to promote the device through its Lifestyle Marketing Website - and although I do not engagae in social media - this sole site being the one exception - I also am aware of Ostomycures's presence on social media elsewhere.

In answer to your question Beach Boy - I have taken Legal Advice and a current case in progress against Ostomy Cure and as such I am making no specific comment in this particular regard - because, as you may appreciate it is not in my interests to discuss this at the present time as the case is ongoing.

Suffice it to say that there is one endorsement video for the TIEs product - which is still being promoted by Ostomy Cure - and it has been termed an Anniversary Video.

There is no categoric endorsement being promoted by any patient who has continued with the TIES implant over an extended time lines with out complications.

There is a specific comment held within the ostomycure website that the TIES device is UNSUITABLE FOR ANY PATIENT WHO HAS HAD A CROHNS DISEASE DIAGNOSIS.  This statement - held in a non prominent part of the web site - has been displayed subsequently to my own particicipation within the Clinical Trial: When I was implanted in May 2019 - there was no such statement - in fact Crohns was not a contra indication for patient particicipation at the time of my own recruitment.  I am thankful that Patients with a Crohns Disease diagnosis will hopefully not be recruited and experience the comlications I have experienced as a result of participation within the Clinical Trial here in UK.

But yes, the Sponsor Company continues to promote the statics it chooses to display upon its website along with positive imagery for a 'promised' lifestyle free from the challenges that most collectomy patients experience with a convention Brookes Ileosotmy and indeed a Colostomy - although - so far as I am currently aware - the TIES DevIce is not currently being promoted for those with either an existing or a proposed colostomy.

As you enquire specifically of Ostomycure AS and the TIES device Beach Boy - I DO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY to express my support in principle for such a device AS A CONCEPT - and am ever mindful that in order for innovation to thrive there needs - by definition - to be an element of accepted risk.

TRANSPARENCY IS IMPORTANT and as such I recommend that ALL POTENTIAL PATIENTS CONSIDERING TIES as a potential option ask very probing questions and accept no fob off of patient confidentiality for the lack of any information in answer to a Patients Questions.

I understand that the single Clinical Trial is still in operation with the UK's Lead Investigator currently in liaison with the Sponsor Company to continue progression of the Clinical Trial within the UK - apparently with the redesign of TIEs - but as the device is manufacturered with the benefit of 3D priniting of the titanium implant, then an 'ogoing' redesign may indeed be an ongoing option - sadly, as one is an expatient of the Clinical Trial - there is no follow up of the clinical trial data once one has been explanted - I am unable to comment with any authority as to how the device , or the clinical trial is progressing.

It may be noted that there is the most recent Clinician to be promoted on the Ostomycure website who, himself, would appear to be a part of the Ostomycure Management TEam - so is by definition, not an independent surgical clinitian Investigator in the sense of an  'independent' assessment of the TIES product - irrespective of the personal expertise of the Surgeon, whose expertise is documentented independently of the Sponsor company's website.

For the sake of Patients and innovation - I personally hope that more transparencey will be employed in the arena of med tech develpment, in so far as FREEDOM OF INFORMATION is concenred - for this will, in iteslf be a step forwrd to faster, and more accurate progress - particulalrly with the help of AI in monitioring information and research and development - both for the facilitators, the surgeons and the pateints.

Meanwhile the fall out from such closed trial experimentation continues to live its best life in the most progressive manners posible - whilst not threatening progress by negating Patients to come forward and volunteer to be a part of the Patient Body for such research.

I hope this reply goes some way to answering your question Beach Boy.

Thank you for your support - I regret I am unable to any more specifc at the present time.

It is however, my intention at a time in the future to publish my full set of timeline photographs - which are able to speak for themselves with out any bias as regularly submitted to the Clinical Trial data base. Currently as the legal case is still in proggress there is a delay on this publication as I feel my personal vulnerabilty acutely at times, and do not wish to prejudice my case in any manner.

I am in the meantime reliant upon a very trusted Surgical Team who are being funded by the sponsor company's insurance - albeit through a Loss Adjustor - as a result of my taking legal advuce -  to perform reparative surgery - which is a challenge beyond anything that I could have personally predicted when signing up to be a part of the TIES clinical trial.

There is invested interest throughout the world of MEd TEch - which has high competition and an open platform for potential fical reward - but in fairness to the industry - no facilitator can opereate without license and commercial protection - this is a fact of life.

BW

Jayne

Bill

Hello Jayne.
Thank you for a thought provoking post. Effective trauma counselling can sometimes be very specific to the trauma involved, so it is useful to find someone who is familiar with they type of trauma being dealt with.
This might be difficult  with traumas relating to stomas and other medical procedures, partly because the medical profession has been slow to recognise that they are sometimes the root cause of the the traumas.
Also, many traumas are complicated by the way people are treated post trauma, which sometimes either adds to the traumatic effect or becomes the main problematic trauma.
My own experience in trauma counselling was largely to do with bullying and 'victims' of our societies 'systems' and procedures (which in themselves, were forms of bullying).
In these cases, I firmly believed that the traumatised people already knew what was wrong and what they should be doing about it. hence, the 'counselling' was a form of 'educing' (drawing out) from that person what they knew and felt and then reflecting their own contemplations and findings back to them. Occasionally, I was privileged to be able to do this in-verse, but this was a 'bonus' aspect.
As for my own traumas: Of course I have adopted the techniques used with others, but there is one technique which I have found to be particularly helpful as a distraction from many of life's traumatic events and that is what I have recently called 'OOBER'.

Best wishes
Bill
PS; I was due to post this one today anyway, so I'll also post it separately.

‘OOBER’ – (escapes) 6.
(Out-Of-Body-Experiences Recorded).

I nurse my stoma everyday
and sometimes it gets in the way
of living life the way I wish,
which can make me more than mawkish.

A stoma is a chronic state
which often acts like a sluice gate,
shooting faeces far and wide
and making **it quite hard to hide.

Stoma’s take over what we do
and make it harder to pull through
especially when they do not do
everything they’re supposed to.

It’s alright when there is routine 
and things do not seem so obscene,
but when this routine’s out of sync
this is when my heart will sink.

There’s no point getting so distressed
or sinking ‘till we get depressed,
we need to be both hard and strong
to fight the fight and carry on.

Each time my body gets me down
or on my face grows one long frown,
I’ll make sure that it’s overrode
and go into an OOBER mode.

Basically what OOBER means
is ‘out-of-body’ , so it seems
that all those things that stomas bring
suddenly don’t mean a thing. 

I can relax and enjoy life,
without that hassle and the strife
that stomas can initiate
and we’re left to propitiate. (appease)

B. Withers 2023

Jayne
Reply to kittybou

Did you learn to do this whilst receiving trauma therapy Counselling from a recognised Trauma Therapy Counsillor?

I think that you may do this as a matter of norm with your pup perhaps?

I know I have enjoyed very special times whilst with my own dogs - there are no agendas with animals - especially a pup one has trained from 8 weeks onward!

I hope you and Rocket make the most of the outdoors and enjoy company inside too.

Best Wishes - TY for sharing.

Jayne

kittybou
Reply to Jayne

The only counciling I got was from my best friend, who said," Suck it up, buttercup, it could be a lot worse" She's right, as usual. 

Jayne
Reply to kittybou

.... but, .... but .... sometimes it couldn't be much worse ....... That's when I KNOW I need to 'get a handle' !

No matter how bad things appear - there is always some poor soul who is in a less enviable position than oneself - especially where medical concerns pertain!

Bless you 'Buttercup' .... did your Friend find a buttercup flower and put it under your chin too?

We used to 'do this' to each other when very young ...... as a 'test' to see if the person "reflected the yellow colour' under their chin -

wait for it ...... If they did [reflect the yellow of the buttercup] then it was 'official' - they 'liked butter' ......  ?!?!?  You gotta believe it - lol.

Your Friend,

She was probably right - at least in the vast majority of situations ;-)

Cheers

Thanks for raising a smile Kitty Bou

BW

Jayne

infinitycastle52777

You might try chair yoga, you can get guided videos on youtube. It can help you settle your mind as well as your body. i used to do that everyday for a while when I was recovering from my second ostomy surgery. the thing about yoga is that just about anyone can do it, and chair yoga is more tame then doing some of the full body yoga. but it is also about breath work. and that can help release the right hormones to calm your mind.

Lee

Jayne
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Hi Lee,

Chair Yoga is a valid suggestion - for I have let my more fluid yoga work out lapse over the last few years and nolonger go to regular classes:

Your thoughts are helpful - Good that you have brought this into focus - Particulalry the Breath Work for inner calmness and meditiative release.  My current meditations are more spiritually focussed than body enhancing - and one confesses the flexibility within the body is not as it was three years ago!

Hormone release is stimulating when out of balance - So yes Thanks for for this - anything active which has properties for the over thinking mind is a good diversion and a release from repetitive concerns and circular deliberation.

Currently, as I have said elsewhere, I am finding myself in unfamiliar territory and not my usual proactive self.

For how long have you personally focussed on this release discipline Lee?

And have you found it be particularly helpful for an overactive mind - for I seem to recall you may have expressed something along these lines as a personal challenge?

Thanks for touching base and sharing your thoughs - I appreciate this.

As a practical / application Question:

Do you find an automatic acceptance and routine 'around the chair' - or is the practice a 'removal' from your general daily schedule?

BW

Jayne

Caz67

Hi Jayne

Please read my previous response to your other notification. XX 

CrappyColon

Hi Jayne, leaving a quick note here so I’ll see some sort of notifications and remember to come back and write more. I wish I could get you over to Cleveland Clinic to get another opinion on surgical options. I think you are stronger than you realize. The field you worked in, you would’ve been a minority as a female and you persevered. They are finally recognizing the brain/gut connection and the powerful role it plays in our health. You are absolutely correct that there is no shame in seeking out help for brain/mental health. We need to keep working to end that stigma. You are brave to share what you are going through in a public space. Thank you for sharing even when you are afraid. We can keep going when we are afraid, one step at a time ma’am. Will add more when I have time. You’re not alone Jayne 💜

TerryLT

It's no magic cure for trauma of course, but I find one thing that really relaxes me and de-stresses me, is a walk, by myself, either in the woods, or on the beach.  Of course your location in this world will dictate whether this is possible for you!  When I do this, I try to concentrate on my senses, which helps to block out any tendency to 'think' too much.  Smell the aroma of the vegetation around you, trees, flowers, the sea, listen to the sounds around you, the birds in the trees singing, gulls crying on the beach, waves lapping or pounding on the shore, wind in the trees, feel the wind in your hair, sun on your skin, sand between your toes, crunch of the leaves beneath your shoes.  See everything around you, the beauty of the forest or the beach, the blue of the sky, the majesty of the mountains in the distance, you get the picture...  It works for me every time.

Terry

Oscar23

The following is not a substitute, but rather a complement to my experience with a cognitive behavioral therapist. What helped me over the years was reframing my experience, reconnecting to my body through yoga and hiking, non judgement mindfulness meditation, and at my worst objectively journaling about my experience without any judgement, and learning how to regulate my breath with yoga. The easiest practices from the perspective of avoidance that might of gotten me through many years but didn’t help with healing was being overly focused on work, intense workouts that often led to more disconnection than connection which I do not recommend. On a short term basis, walking through forests with my dog as others have mentioned is helpful for my anxiety. Connecting and meeting other cancer survivors through volunteer was my first realization how much I used avoidance to get through difficult emotions. 
In the moment, a couple mindfulness meditation techniques: RAIN meditation guided by Tara Brach. RAIN - is an acronym for Recognize what’s happening, Allow the experience to be there, Investigate with interest and kindness, Nurture with self compassion. In the moment, and if I find myself in a hospital at my worst I try to meditate on the sounds to slow my breath and sometimes my heart (there’s a loud monitor that beeps). 
Reframing from a self love perspective: what would I tell a close friend/ family and loved one if they were in this situation? 
And finally, back to my understanding of PTSD trauma. It really helped me to listen and read experts: Dr. Gabor Mate (YouTube and symposiums) and Dr. Bessel van der Kolk author of The Body Keeps the Score helped me understand different kinds of trauma and how far I have come. 

Bill

Hello again Jayne.
After a bit more contemplation of your post, I have been browsing some of my past work with people who have used ‘counselling’ and have had some pertinent things to say about their experiences.
This rhyme picks up on what people felt was ’supportive’ for them. However, I felt that much of what was being expressed was pertinent to everyday social interaction  as well as being specific to the ‘counselling’ process. 
If people have even one ‘good’ friend who has the ability to be supportive, then it can have similar outcomes to professional ‘therapy’.
In a DIY sense, a person’s pet can evoke a similar outcome, when and if individuals are able to talk things through with their pets and feel that they are getting the ‘support’ they need.
In some ways, this MAO site can offer support in a similar way, where people can vent and share their frustrations within an environment of support and understanding.
Anyway, I’ll leave you with the rhyme I’ve found that shares what others have said about ‘What is Supportive’ for them and helps 'maintain equilibrium'.
Best wishes
Bill

WHAT IS SUPPORTIVE.

Things that are supportive to me
may not be so to you
but those who use some empathy
can, to us both imbue.

I don’t need critic or judge
or a dependent prop.
A neat and friendly little nudge
will help me stay on top.

I want guidance, not instruction,
please - positives portray.
Conversations with construction 
to help me on my way.

Doing things I like to do,
avoiding those I hate.
Sharing all my thoughts with you,
then you reciprocate.

Taking responsibility
and having self-control.
‘not an impossibility
with a supportive role.

I ‘feel’ support when you are near
to calm and comfort me.
I gain control on all my fear
and my anxiety.

From troubles, I’ll put distance,
stay positive each day,
improve my own existence.
and start to feel OK.

To communicate effectively
is a social conduit.
Encouragement respectively
helps me quite a bit.

Controlling my own input
gives me confidence.
I don’t have to pussyfoot
no more subsidence.

I feel myself more worthy,
I motivate and laugh,
support is quite noteworthy
when done on my behalf.

I believe that anyone
can give and get support
and I believe that everyone
could this skill be taught.

At any time or any place
support won’t come amiss.
I can always make a case.
for the use of this.

Let us look at how it works
and what it does for me.
Providing the right framework
and light, so I may see.

Support can change a maybe,
perhaps or possibly,
from limbo to a probably,
an adult from baby.

Support can be quite complex,
not straight, nor black or white.
It can reverse the vortex
and help to expedite.

I think support is helpful
to allay my deep-set fears.
It also should be meaningful
and take away my tears.

When I tend to do self-blame
and I am filled with guilt.
Heart so full of hate, then shame
for all these walls I’d built.

Where will I wend my way and go
and what will I do next?
How will I know and will I grow
to be much less perplexed?

I could lose my anxiousness
and never be outdone.
I’ll exploit mischievousness
and start to have some fun.

I will play at my own game,
empowerment employ,
then all the glory and the fame
I could myself enjoy.

B. Withers  2007

(In: Constructive Conversations Inversed 2008)

kittybou
Reply to Jayne

Oh, Jayne,

I laughed so hard about the buttercup thing. Not at you, but knowing what my pal would have done if she'd found a flower while we were pulling up tansy. She woulda stuffed it in a dried cow pie and thrown it at me. Lol 

That's what friends are for!🤣

Bill

Hello Jayne (again).
Your post has prompted me to write yet another rhyme, this time about ‘counselling’.
It might be that the long waiting lists for this sort of treatment can be beneficial, as you may need some interim techniques to survive and thrive.
Many of my previous ‘clients’ had been in therapies and counselling before being referred to me. What they had in common was a feeling that they felt ‘better’ while they were in therapy, but as soon as it stopped the problems returned. 
My explanatory ‘model’ for this phenomenon was that of a ‘prop’ which, when taken away, makes whatever it was ‘propping-up’ collapse.
My own approach was to teach (or rather ‘enable’) people to learn how to counsel themselves. This approach meant that they were not dependent on anyone other than themselves.
I think there is a quotation that goes something along the lines of: “If you give a person a fish, then they will come back to you for more.  If you teach a person how to fish, they will be able to fish for themselves.” 
Perhaps, if you spend some time learning how to counsel others, you may develop the skills to counsel yourself. 
Having read your past posts, it seems to me that you already posses many of the skills and motivation necessary for this purpose. 
If you wish to discuss this further, I would be pleased to try to assist.

Best wishes
Bill

PS: I will post my latest rhyme here, but as I’m trying to be chronologically methodical in my posts, don’t be surprised to see it again at sometime in the future.

DIY – (counselling).

The thing about most counselling
is it is based on listening
so, if you can listen to yourself
this counselling is off the shelf.

Deep down inside, where it won’t show 
most people will already know
most of the answers to their woe
so, listening to themselves, they grow.

A counsellor can help with this
process, so they don’t come amiss
while exploring their own thought
in which they sometimes can get caught.

A counsellor can guide the way
to help some people have their say
and come to some conclusions where
it may feel good to share and care.

This situation can be good
as long as it works as it should
so, those who use it aren’t appendant (attached)
 and do not become dependent.

For counselling can be a ‘prop’,
which can pose problems when it stops
because the subject’s angst and pain
can easily come back again.

I’ve always felt it’s better to
help those people think things through
so, what they learn is DIY
and thus, with this, they may get by.

This approach follows the scheme,
which imitates the age-old theme
that ‘giving’ someone answers might
not give them the right insight.

Yet, helping them to work things out
is what this DIY’s about. 

B. Withers 2024

Beachboy
Reply to Jayne

Hello again Jayne,

My sickness last year, surgery, and colostomy were caused by hernia repair mesh puncturing my colon. 

This puncture caused Sepsis, Peritonitis, and C Diff infections.  The mesh also adhered to my bladder, but fortunately didn't puncture it.  

I had been in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks.  All the while given the most powerful antibiotics available.  But infections persisted.  Each time I was released to go home, I became sicker.  And a day later, had to be hospitalized again.

By this time, I was malnourished, lost 66 pounds, and was in severe pain.  I underwent my third CT scan which revealed I still had a hole in my intestine.  No one could figure out why I wasn't getting better with the antibiotics.

One morning my infection doctor told me I had run out of time.  Antibiotics would soon lose their effectiveness.  And once that occurred, nothing more could be done.  She arranged for 2 surgeons to review my case.

Both surgeons agreed I needed exploratory surgery.  Said it was a mystery why my infections wouldn't go away.  Both said they were all booked up and didn't have time to do surgery on me.  They said I should be released from the hospital, remain on antibiotics, while searching for an available surgeon.  A short while later, my case manager arrived with discharge instructions.

My wife pleaded with the surgeons to keep me hospitalized and make time to perform surgery.  My infection doctor strongly warned them against releasing me.  Finally, hours later, one of the surgeons reluctantly agreed to do it after his normal workday was over.  I told him I would live with whatever he had to do.  I didn't sign any release paperwork, or undergo surgical prep.  Surgeon just did it.  

Around 6:00 the next night, I was wheeled into the operating room.  The first anesthesiologist came in, said he didn't want to do it, and left.  Another was called in. I finally underwent surgery.  Surgeon predicted 3 hours.  It took 7.  All mesh had to be removed, and colostomy created.

I was very lucky.  My surgeon was experienced in hernia repair and colorectal surgery.  He knew how to remove the mesh correctly and create the colostomy.

Before I got sick, I had seen late night commercials on TV from lawyers touting lawsuits about defective hernia repair mesh. 

As I recovered,  it slowly dawned on me.... surgeons and the anesthesiologist didn't want to touch me...  because they knew hernia mesh was causing my infections.  They saw it in the CT scans.  Back in the hospital, instead of telling me about the mesh, they told me a fistula had developed on my intestine.  Now it all made sense.  They didn't want to get involved in a potential lawsuit.  Not against them, but against the mesh manufacturer.  

Many years ago, hernia repair mesh material was changed to polypropylene plastic by medical device manufacturers looking to increase profits.  Turns out this plastic material is not compatible for long term implantation in the human body.  

Over time, mesh migrates into surrounding tissues causing inflammation.  In extreme cases, mesh punctures the intestine or bladder..... or both. 

Thinking back, 3 years before I got sick, everytime I had a blood test, results revealed Hemoglobin level was low.  Ruling out normal causes, doctor believed I was bleeding somewhere.  But couldn't figure out where.  Well.. it was the mesh adhering to my intestine causing bleeding, that my body absorbed. 

My blood pressure had fallen, down to 90 / 60.  My heartbeat increased to 125 beats a minute.  But I felt fine.  A couple of years later, I slowly started to lose weight.  Had lots of gas.  And a couple of times, pooped out lots of blood.  I went to the emergency room.  They couldn't find a cause.

All this was a mystery until I had exploratory surgery.

There are thousands of lawsuits going on right now because of alleged defective hernia repair mesh.  Many plaintiffs have no damage, just have the mesh.

I will not sue.  Even though I have a very good case with actual damage.  I don't care how high the settlement could be.

No one twisted my arm to have 3 hernias repaired.  That was my choice.  After repair surgery, I had many pain free years while resuming my very active life.  In that respect, the mesh worked very well.  Surgeons had warned me 2 hernias would be extremely hard to fix, but they would try.  God bless em, they succeeded.

Just last week I tried to make an appointment with the surgeon who saved me last year.   I have some prolapse and am considering revision of my stoma.  He doesn't want to see me.  Referred me to the other colorectal surgeon.  The other guy who said he was too busy back when I was in the hospital. 

And the beat goes on.

Beachboy

I wanted add this:

My infection doctor was a young lady.  Recently graduated from medical school.  She really pushed back against the two older, experienced surgeons who wanted to send me home.  I'll never forget the concerned look on her face every time we spoke.  I'll never forget the helplessness I felt... slowly fading away each day.

It is because of her persistence, I'm still here today.

Redondo

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I learned recently to do a breathing exercise that even helps me fall asleep quickly. I take in a breath on the count of 4, hold it for a count of 7, and then release it for a count of 8.

I also pray a lot and say the rosary.

Hope that you will be better soon.

Jayne
Reply to Redondo

YEs - TY - The Breath control is a good one

BW

Jayne

juliet041256

I find jigsaw puzzles are very relaxing & make you forget about everything for a while x

Jayne
Reply to Bill

Good afternoonthis fine Sunday in the Spring of 2024 :-))

As ever, Bill, your rhyme is inspiring: In this instance spot on I believe - For indeed we ALL have the answers within ourselves: But most of us will only commune with our own Soul when we are prompted - The trick here, being the self prompt!

Wisdom is all very well - if the Self wisdom, comes along with the self discipline to ACTION what we know to the the causes and what we instinctively know to be the direction we need and have the courage to follow what our hearts tell us: LISTEN TO OUR OWN SOUL!

So many Folk who either are regular Members and those who look in from time to time are open and truly wish to share and help others - I have been and continue to be amazed - caring and sharing with unconditional openess!

I am begiing learn from this site that the way forward is by giving and BEING OPEN TO FRIENDSHIP!

Thank you for your posts and what you bring to your fellow Friends - here and everywhere.

I will reply separately in particuler concening another post of yours and you suggestion of channeling my own 'Help for Others'.

Thank You Bill

It is time to travel down to the coast - I will be intouch soon

I particulalrly relate to your analergy of the fishing line - rather like the concept of 'education' - the concept being [in an analergy my Father used to use] - [when education works that is] "Get the 'slum' out of the man, and the man will then get himself out of the slum"    ...

The 'slum' of course not referrring to the area of living but the attitude of mind :

The richer our openess to perceive and the greater capacity we have for joy AND THE UNDERSTANDING THAT GIVING TO OTHERS [enablement] is the greatest gift we can bring to our time on the Planent!

Joy comes in many forms ....

Be it retraining within the health field [My own GP qualifies here] or progressing other forms of methodology for help - both spiritually or via psychological [Both in MHO being related - THEN WE find and AND SPPREAD JOY IN THE SHARING WITH OTHERS

The rewards - SPEAK FOR Themselves when another is able to SMILE

Both my PArents had their own best sharing, PA was very practical and idealistic, whilst my Mother was deep and understanding in a very supportive but mentoring modality:

"It matters not whether you win or loose - but HOW you play the game" .... right from a very young age this had been of good cheer, and never prompted abandonment [ie Ipersonally it has not resulted in a 'doesn't matter attitude' - instead it promoted a challenge to try and be the best one can be!

Bill you bring inspiration - and cause reflection on many levels!

My best regards

waves from Mid Wales

Jane

Jayne
Reply to Beachboy

Beach Boy,

Your adendumdum is so true and often I find it is the Young aspiring Member of the medical team who maintains a 'personal' focus in the course of their work - ie a CARING and VOCATION in development ..... and sure enough - it seems to me [in instances when I have re-encountered such individuals later in tiime] those very Souls often go on to develop particular career paths and fullfill potentials which move forward humanity - through a greater perspective they are able to bring.

And, this happens in ALL Areas of medicine and life generally .... not only the 'lead playerts' but many who give of themselves in ways over and above the 'minimum'  "required"

Hopefully, we are all able to give 'something' to leave the world a little during our brief stay this time around!

TY for sharing your own medical Path and your open perspective - both personally and opening good humourrr interchanges ....

I too, Dan - appreciate your varied writing styles

BW

I hope this finds you in good cheer and your current adventures are good for pupose HAVE FUN and I wish you well - HUg

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ waves from the Hills ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jayne

Jayne
Reply to juliet041256

Juliet,

:-))

TY for this thought ....

I love to contribute a little nowadays, by adding a few pieces to the evolving picture when I encounter a large layout where others are involved in such a theraputic process ....

With the complexities of cutting and the way technology has moved in many mediums now - there is not only a variety of puzzel interconnection - but also substrate upon which such puzzels are printed.

:-))

In my younger days often with favourite Scenes or particulalrly inspiring subject matter was 'completed' I used to 'save' a puzzel after it had been re-done a number of times - and frame it up and give it as presents for friends to share.     Some remaining on walls at home - but often appearing on walls in some 'odd' places too!  [I used to distribute them to places I visited too].

As a child, I was very fortuneate and had many many puzzels given as part of an array of presents ..... So much so, that one day when the Family fortunes changed a car load of 'my' puzzels were donated to the local Children's hospital ..... and whilst I very surprized to return to find this store of   'puzzelment' - without warning - "gone"  and an emply corner of my room staring at me when home from school   ..........

I took comfort in the knowledge that hopefully many unknown children would find some form of 'happiness' in 'playing with them'  ............

That was 'then' ..... I have gone on to understand, many years later , that whilst it was not good for my own involvement in the 'giving' "away" of "my" things to be "side stepped"..... I was the a GOOD thing to do

"gone" - with no involment in the decision -

.....   but the 'child' who had not the same maturity at the time of the incident, that she subsequently has -  felt undermined and violated having "lost" on so many levels at that time in her life.

By sharing this odd 'answer' to your generous post Juliet -  your own best helping well gentle suggestion - TY - , my 'reply' has taken on another level - That of active discharge from my own psyche now - so many years later:

Your suggestion has caused me to recall what I had processed some little time after the event, namely, My Parrents did the best they could at the time - a familiar thought in retrospect - and a grateful acknowledgement all round.

.... Unknowingly, you have helped upon a  nl other level  .....  Y sharing you touched my heart - Thank you so much!

And, Thank you Juliet for your valid suggestion - I really appreciate your thought ......  yes, jigsaws ARE engaging and meditative - I hope you personally continue to find a quite joy in your own engagement - perhaps you may too back and frame up some for your Friends .....

[ Its quite easy to do this - so long as one has a largenough piece of artboard or cardboad to face the completed puzzel to aid its back mounting before adding art film,  lacquer or glass to front it - Best to do it before the puzzel gets worn though ;-)) ]

Good luck - happy sharing .....

And Thank you Juliet - I really appreciate your input

BW

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~waves ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

from the Mid Welsh Hills

Jayne

x

rlevineia

Other than hiking the great outdoors, only abd exercises w/ a special abd therapist.  Making fast work on my chopped up miserable abds.  I use Transcendental meditaion, to relax. & monthly psychologist visits.  I went from 5 mths wheelchair to Glacier Natl Park, in 3 yrs  

Jayne
Reply to rlevineia

Hello 'rlevineia'

TY for your response - Impressive from chair to mountain n so short a timeline - fundamentally you must have been v. fit and strong prior to your surgery?

Abd - thread the needle right?

....     I found this link -  https://www.skimble.com/exercises/9837-abd---thread-the-needle-how-to-do-exercise    

at first I thought you were referring to our abs [amdominal muscles] - but then I figured you would not just have meant this alone - would you?     ;-)

[Back when 2 I went from no strength as in severe exhaustion to deep line feeding and after the bowel perforation and septisemia etc then in deed I was wheelchair mobile on the wards for a while whilst I bult up my streght over a period of some months to ease of mobility [gentle game of tennis for example - but it still took some three years to get to that point ..... [without yoga in those earlier years when young and fit prior to the sudden change and 8 year decline to surgery when the the small intestine perforated prior to theatre schedule]

Your fitness is impressive Sir!

[My own was passable - yoga flexibility prior to TIES implant - has subsequently declines somewhat over the past 12 months - when the hernia repair failed ...... No manner of 'internal visualisation - or in TD meditation can regrown non existing abdominal mmuscle wal;l in my case - but probably have one of the best UK surgeons who is known for his specialist skills regarding rebuilding abdominal walls.]

I value your imput - and might appreciate a further discourse if you the time - TY

BW

Jayne

BW

Jayne

......     Now TV meditation I can equate with :-))

Mommad

Hi Jayne, I like to use meditation at night to help relax and clear my mind.  I have a subsription to Headspace and recommend it.  I also find taking a walk in the woods with my dog quite relaxing.