Can an Ostomy Help Regulate Bowel Movements?

Replies
Views
bklyn girl

Hello everyone! Is it possible to become regular with an ostomy? My doctor told me to drink Citrucel every night to become regular. I find it's all day long. Is it possible to train your colon?

Pinky
Hi bklyn girl - If you have a colostomy, it is very possible to be regular. With my first one (a transverse), I had a lot of watery stuff all day, and when I asked my doc what to do, he suggested one Imodium every day in the AM. I became very regular with BMs at 6 AM, noon, and 6 PM.

Now with my descending permanent colostomy, I irrigate daily and get rid of everything in the AM right after breakfast. Usually no problems the rest of the day...with exceptions, that is...sure am glad my doc recommended it and my WOCN showed me how to do it.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bluezz

Bklyn girl,
I have not tried irrigating as it has worked for Pinky, but Imodium is a "staple" in my everyday life.
I would think it would depend on why you had your ostomy in the first place.
Irrigation will not work for me due to the severity of my Crohn's disease and the fact that even after my colostomy, I still have active disease.
So irrigation sounds like a dream to me.... but will stay just that.

Hope if you try it, it works for you.

bklyn girl

So, you take one Imodium in the morning daily, and that should control it more? I have a colostomy due to rectal cancer. I haven't tried irrigation yet, but I want to...

bklyn girl

Hi Pinky, I want to try the irrigation but haven't yet. Can you recommend which to use? I use Convatec products. Did you ever try drinking the Citrucel at night? My doctor told me to drink it every day. I guess I could try the Imodium too, one in the morning and that's it? Can't hurt to try! Thank you for the info!!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
mooza

Bluezz, don't irrigate if you have Crohn's. I was warned about diverticulitis and colitis. Don't go there... I know I have an ileo. I know a few things. I asked about it and was feeling let down because I had an ileo, but it was recommended even if I had a colostomy. Don't mess with the irrigation in case you damage your intestine. Well, I can't say don't, but as much as I would want to if I were you, no way. I used to take 12 Imodium a day and it still wasn't enough for that damn Crohn's... Mooza.

sherrybear

I just learned how to irrigate last Friday. Can't find the right time, for I'm babysitting and don't know when he will wake up. I get up every day at 5:15, so I'm thinking about 4:00 am and I hope it works for me. And I do think it is a good thing, but my daughter says you got to be careful with leaks, got to find out more on this. BUT I'M GOING TO DO IT, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

Pinky
Hi Bklyn Girl - if you had rectal cancer (as I did), you may be an excellent prospect for irrigation. You can irrigate if your colostomy is in the sigmoid or descending colon. You need to ask your doctor if it is right for you and DEFINITELY do your first attempt at irrigating with a WOCN (ET nurse) in an outpatient setting (or at home if your insurance will pay for it).

I use the Coloplast irrigating system because I like the thermometer on the bag to tell you the temperature of the water and a little waterwheel to show you how fast the water is entering your body. (When you first irrigate, you want the water to enter slowly or you might get nauseated.) You just need to get the Convatec irrigation sleeves that go with your size flange.

I use Hollister products and get the Hollister sleeves that fit my 1 and 1/4 inch flange. I can't recommend their irrigation bag though - it's too small and there's no regulating the water flow. I'm sorry I can't comment on the Convatec irrigating system - I haven't seen it, but I do know a 75-year-old woman who uses it!

There is a thread on the UOAA website about irrigating that can give you lots more info as well.

Irrigating has made all the difference for me.
Bluezz

Thanks Mooza! No, I won't irrigate...like you, it was told to me not to even think about it.
I have come to the point in my life and my Crohn's...it is what it is... and I am thankful for coming to peace with my "regularity".

Bluezz

No, unfortunately, I take Imodium before anything substantial I eat and extra if I'm just having more output than usual.
If Imodium causes you to bloat, then I would back down on the amount because you don't have IBD. You could probably use less than Mooza or me.
See how you do with the one in the morning....
Fiber is a no-no for me as it actually creates more output....

Hope all goes well for you.

Karen~
rvhumbug

If you have a colostomy, it is possible to be "regular" using irrigation daily. For an ileostomy, it is less likely. The purpose of the large intestine is to remove water from the feces. Since that has been removed, it requires the small intestine to take over. This may or may not happen.
Most ileostomates I know are not "regular". The stool may thicken and seem normal from time to time, but there is no real way to be regular with a standard ileostomy.
Good luck.

EZdreamer

It all depends on your diet, and when and how much you eat. If I know I am going out that night, I will eat a little during the day. Good luck.