Cox’s Bazar-the longest n...

Views: 34 Replies: 1

Air travel with an ostomy

Views: 45 Replies: 1

Ostomy & vomiting

Views: 41 Replies: 1

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator   It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher   Anatomical Apron

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Bag Change Time

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,396 members interested in a relationship

9,640 members looking for support

102,291 exchanged private messages

45,886 forum posts

1,207 blogs

63 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Let's talk!

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 kbd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Bag Change Time Reply with quote

I'm wondering how often do you change the drainable bags?
I'm going 3-4 days on average. I generally will take off the old bag after three days, shower and clean up the flange area which is usually a mess by then, then put on the new bag. I use a two piece bag system.
KBD
 Snowwhite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Everyone seems to be different. It depends on many factors. I have very liquid stool and my wafer lasts about 24 hours. I usually change every day and sometimes push it to 2 days. Look for rednes, itching, effluent on the wafer when you take it off, body odor on the wafer, filter dry or wet, how often you empty, what you can afford, pressure sores around the stoma. All these things are individual and if you keep these things in mind, you should feel good about your wear time. Anybody add anything else? I am on brain vacation today...lol
 MarkP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you live can also have an effect as if you sweat a lot the base may loosen and need replacing earlier.
 PJT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's different kbd, but I usually change about every 5 days. Right now it's kind of hot and sticky here in NY so I might not make it that long this time.
 Xerxes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change mine on the average of every 3-4 days. This, of course, depends on several factors as highlighted  by others who have responded.

X_
 Primeboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably get by every five days even though I have a high liquid output; but why take chances? I am pretty much a 3-4 day changer now depending on how active I am and hot how the weather is. I sure hope they don't make any changes to Medicare because this stuff is pretty expensive.
 kbd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hot in Ohio right now and I wondered if that might affect the length of time the wafer can stay on. I change the wafer about 4-6 days depending on how much the thing starts itching. Right now it is itching more, probably because of the hot weather. I do worry about the skin around the stoma getting irritated.
KBD
 bes0642

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a good collar seal around the stoma. (which I generally do) I can go 10 to 14 days with the same bag. I live in HOT Texas. However, this time is reduced if I do a lot of work outside and sweat.   Hope everyone has a great day. Bob
 sooziq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Medicare will pay some? Have few years before I get there just wondering as our insurance just keeps going up and paying less! Of course they can change Medicare any time but for now?
Thanks
 bes0642

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now Medicare pays 100% for 20 bags a month. However, with these idiots in Washington messing with health care there's no telling how they will mess it up. Keep your fingers crossed. Have a good day. Bob
 n4christmas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, to answer your question, I have had my ostomy for 28 years and I change my appliance every 5th day and put a new system on.  I use Convatec's two piece wafer and bag and I have not had many problems other than I once had Impetigo which is a bacterial infection under where the tape goes and I had to cut all of the tape off and use medicine to clear it up.  Because of this, I don't think it is wise to go very long without changing everything.  I understand how expensive the products are but you are going to have your ostomy for a long time and I know now it is important to take care of the skin under the wafer and the bag. NAW
 hdmazing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Convatec Sur-Fit Natura Moldable Durahesive skin barrier(411806) 2 piece and the wafer last me at least 10 days and could go longer without a problem but 10 days is the max for me. Although I make it a point to rinse the inside of the bag everytime I empty even when I am travelling. I just came back from Ohio and the hot weather there
did not affect my skin barrier whatsoever. I started using this barrier several months ago
after trying other bags from convatec, hollister, etc. because of allergic reaction to the adhesives. Never had a problem since then. I have a permanent  ileostomy from a permanent colostomy due to colorectal cancer. Hope this info helps.
 hdmazing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi snowwhite,

Try convatec sur-fit natura moldable durahesive  skin barrier, this may last longer in your case if they are available in Canada, which I am pretty sure they are. I too have an ileostomy with liquid discharge so maybe this would help. Good luck.
 kbd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info. I did not know Medicare allowed for 20 bags a month, I'd wondered about that. I'm amazed at how long some of you good people can wear the wafer. I've been afraid to try it more than a week, and usually change around every 5 days. So much junk builds up on the wafer after around 3 days that I usually take a shower with the bag off on the 3rd day just to clean the wafer and reduce odor problems. I'm finding that putting a few tic tacs in the bag helps eliminate odor. That was a brilliant idea, though I can only imagine the person who came up with this idea one day thinking to themselves that they really ought to put tic tacs in their ostomy bag Smile Brilliant idea that works.
KBD
 bes0642

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBD I should have more precise in my answer. Medicare allows for 20 drain-able bags or 60 closed bags a month. Have a great day. Bob

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Let's talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: