Ostomy vs Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
baba

What is the difference between an ostomy and an ileostomy? I feel so stupid for asking. I am four months post-op. I had my colon removed and I am new on your link.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

jaidre

Hi, I've had my colon removed. Mine is called an ileostomy... I could be wrong, but I think most of the non-bladder surgeries are referred to as "ostomy". But then again, I'm new here and trying to learn the lingo. :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
An ileostomy is a stoma that has been constructed by bringing the end or loop of the small intestine (the ileum) out onto the surface of the skin.

A colostomy is a surgical procedure that involves connecting a part of the colon onto the anterior abdominal wall, leaving the patient with an opening on the abdomen called a stoma. In a colostomy, the stoma is formed from the end of the large intestine, which is drawn out through the incision and sutured to the skin. After a colostomy, feces leave the patient's body through the abdomen. A colostomy may be permanent or temporary.
That help any??
Monsieur Le President
It's difficult to believe that your surgeon did not fully explain what was happening to you.
Your large bowel (colon) is a store which contains the waste from your food, and basically removes the water from this. We store this waste until we are ready to expel it (go to the toilet). A colostomy is when part of this colon (which is about 8' long) is removed, and the colon is brought out onto the stomach wall and forms a stoma. It all depends on how much bowel is removed as to how the output is controlled. It can be released into the bag almost as solid as a normal stool.
An ileostomy is when the whole of the large bowel is removed and the end of the small bowel (ileum) becomes the stoma.
The output from this is normally fairly liquid, but can also operate at any time, constantly 24/7, there is no element of control.
This is my (non-medical) understanding. I am an ileostomist of some 35 years standing (although often lying down!)
eddie

Reg, explained it great!! I am a nurse who has an ileostomy. Couldn't have said it better, although all of us are frequently referred to as "ostomy patients".
Eddie

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
spitchwick

Actually, Reg, you can have an ileostomy without having your large intestine removed, as I have. My large intestine is still intact but dropped after I had a change from a loop to a complete ileostomy.

vulcanBMk2

Urostomy - Bladder removed. Stoma fabricated from part of small intestine for urine drainage from kidneys into bag.

Stoma - From the ancient Greek word for mouth or opening!!

wookie2005
Yes what you have explained is correct, i have been informed so much from my surgeon as to what was going to happen to me, but we didnt know if i was going to have a Colostomy or an Iliosotomy, and until i had my operation and came out and he came in the next day and explained what happened, it turned out that i now have an Iliostomy, as the cancer was to far gone, so they have removed the entire large bowel. The Stoma is working 24/7 sometimes i know when its happening, but most of the time i dont even know until it's to heavy, the stool is sometimes watery (depending on what i eat) but most of the time its think (as my stoma nurse would day it's thick like thoothpaste) I am going to be having the rectum removed hopefully this year so therefore mine is perminant. Hope this helps..