New Coloplast MIO Products

Views: 378 Replies: 6

Changing your applicance wi...

Views: 238 Replies: 2

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher  

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Colostomy reversal

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,608 members interested in a relationship

10,074 members looking for support

107,444 exchanged private messages

47,179 forum posts

1,251 blogs

64 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Primadonna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Colostomy reversal Reply with quote

My surgeon tells me you can't get a reversal after four years. Anyone know how long  you can wait, i didn't know there was a limit.  Mine was done it Dec 2005, he said i'm at a high risk and i have three large hernias too from the surgery, which makes my belly pertrude on the side. I still want to have more information on this and maybe get this done one of these days.  I have Lupus, thats what makes it serious to have the surgery, had a stroke after the first surgery.   Any suggestions, thanks so much.
 Wilski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my colostomy for 5 years now. I never was told there is a limit to how long you can wait. I too have a hernia which I keep in check with an ostomy belt.  I don't see why there's an extra risk having waited. I would like to hear others on this subject. The only downside is that the rectal muscles may be weakened. Those can be exercised and strengthened.
 Counting My Blessings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reversal Reply with quote

My cousin flew down here to Florida to have the reversal done by the inventors of the procedure.  He had his colostomy when he was a teenager.  He had the reversal done when he was in his forties.

It didn't work but not because of the long time.  There were other complications.  He had to have the reversal reversed.

I'd get a second opinion from a different rear admiral who does the procedure.  Then say Aye, Aye, and listen to their advice.

I understand the desire to go back to "normal."  I can't remember what that was like.  I do know that this is so much better than the last 6 months prior to the colostomy.  I personally can't go back, but I don't think I'd want to if I could.
 Mr nice guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you must have other conditions that your doctor doesnt want you having the surgery. I had my reversal 10 years later. My surgeon was very confidant of my recovery. There were slight set backs with mine. Since my lower colon system wasnt used for 10 years. My body had to "remember" how to work properly. I did have to go back and have my anal sphincter loosened abit. It was excrusiating using it for the first time. My body trembled and I could barely stand. I needed it and after that I was back to normal. I wish you the best of health.
 banshie3by5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an individual thing.  Even though I had declined the reversal, when they went in to complete the surgery they realized it wouldn't have been possible anyway.  7 months after the resections & ostomy, the rectal stump had adhesed to the back of my cervix so bad that they couldn't remove the cervix, much less reverse the ostomy.
 Primadonna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very sick after my surgery, that's why he probably doesn't want me to have it reversed. Was in hospital for 5 months and had a stroke after the surgery, plus i have Lupus. He said it would be 50/50 to get the surgery. I'm overweight too and losing, so i might talk with the doctors again to see what they say.
 Primadonna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for answering so late.

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: