Swimming or Aquafit with Large Hernia?

Replies
Views
supernan

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone else out there has ever been given any guidance on swimming or doing aquafit with a large (well, the size of half a melon!) hernia? I am desperately trying to lose weight and am now trying Slim Fast as I can't eat any green veg or normal diet foods, but I thought some exercise might help and as I am so restricted with that as well (bad heart means I can only walk 10 meters normal pace), thought that swimming might help, although I am not a particularly good one. Have thought that I don't quite know how to hide this alien thing as it is very visible, one of my ideas was to half blow up a balloon and put it the other side and then say I was pregnant!!! Mind you at 57 don't think I will get away with it ha ha!! Also any diet tips would be most welcome. Thanks a lot.

mooza

Hey Supernan, hahahah! Pregnant good outlook, but you're in a bind. Hey, a bind? What about something like that? Oohhh darlz, I see the dilemma, and I have seen some huge hernias. Our members use support belts for hernias, but for doing, is that like water aerobics? Typing ain't too good either. What about a swimsuit with the skirt thingy on it? I have. Oh, I'm getting mine checked out too. Arg, not that we need hernias as well. Hey!!!!!!!!!! x x x Mooza.

P.S. Water aerobics at night? Hahah, another crazy thought!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
franmcg53

Hello - I too have a hernia, mine is a bit odd, it is bigger on one side of my stoma than the other side of my stoma. Weird, can't explain it.

But have you spoken to your doctor about swimming? He may have some suggestions. Also, I have worn swimming shorts and a light tee-shirt in the pool.

There are also "swimming outfits". I found them on the Lands End website. I am 58 and way past bikinis (wouldn't that be a lovely sight; bag and all) sorry, I'm American, we tend to say such things. But I found the swimming outfits to be attractive and in different colors, they come in two pieces or one piece. Take a look. Landsend.com

wondering if

Hi, there. I have a smaller hernia than yours, but it's appalling, nevertheless. Under clothes, I wear underwear that smashes it down sufficiently, but under my swimsuit, I probably should also wear the underwear... or get a hernia belt for swimming. I think I've seen an ad for a neoprene belt for ostomates on this site. Sorry I can't recall the name of it... and if I do I'll try to remember to come back and tell you what it is. I swim anyway. I bought a swimdress a couple sizes too big and it hangs to my mid thighs, which is probably nutty, but... I feel nicely concealed in it. My daughters say it looks "hot". I think not. But I don't care. I need the exercise, or I need to cool off, and... I'm going to swim whether I look "hot" or not. I hope you will, too.

boatlady21

Hi, I seem to be in the same situation as you and I do go to Aquafit classes, 3 times a week. I also have a degenerative spine, which just kills me to walk.

I do find the water a great help and feel so much better after I have done the exercises.

I decided to take a membership in my local pool, so now I have the luxury of the spa at no extra cost. I'm not really supposed to sauna with a bad heart, but 5 minutes is okay, and the same in the steam. However, a bit longer in the jacuzzi is just wonderful. Go and enjoy! I won't miss it. I feel now if I don't do it, I won't be able to walk at all. So, enjoy.

Regards from Marcella.

I just wear a normal costume. No one sees it in the water.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
supernan

Thanks everyone for your input so far, and I think one answer would be to wear one of my belts under the swimsuit, and I do have a skirted swimsuit, but the trouble is when it gets wet, it is still prone to cling, and boy is there something to cling to! However, I think I am going to have to wait until I see my stoma nurse as one site says that the drag of the water could make it worse! Mind you, Mooza, you gave me one brilliant idea for when I get sorted and looked into moonlight swimming and guess what, I found a pool up the road that does just that. What it is to have brains, eh? And wondering if sounds like a wonderful lady.

supernan

Hi there, boatlady. I am so pleased to hear that there is someone else out there with these types of problems. Can you tell me, did you have to get the okay for the aquafit or did you just turn up? My problem is that as this is still relatively new to me (8 months post-op), I am still very nervous of anything making this alien bigger. The costume thing wasn't about in the water, it was getting to it, as you are not allowed to take towels through, but what the heck, I can live with that bit if it means I can do the rest.

boatlady21

I had my ostomy in 1986. One of the first things I did was, with a group of other ostomates, at the hospital pool, we all went swimming.

It was good, but then I moved out of that area. So, I just started to go to my local pool. I found out about the activities and went for the aquafit. The other people in the class now know about my problem and encourage me. Sometimes, we go to the sports centre pool and have tea. It has turned into a real social do, and I look forward to it every week. We have also booked our Christmas outing. I am thinking of doing pilates as it's a gentle exercise. I need to think a bit more. I am a bit slow on the uptake.

Since I had my ostomy, there is nothing I can't do. I have had holidays abroad, even to Australia and the USA, and lots on the continent.

I was rejected by my husband because he couldn't stand it, but I got over that too.

I live on a narrowboat, which was bought as a project. I learned a lot about DIY. I don't use a chisel as a screwdriver anymore, and I just love my scorpion saw!!! And thank God for sons. They have helped me so much. Luv em to bits.

Well, supernan, I hope this has inspired you to get up and go for it. I am off to the hospital for more checks on my heart.

supernan

Hi, well you certainly have inspired me. I think I missed out somewhat as I had to go back in after a week to have another 2 ops due to a bad infection. After 2 weeks, I was allowed home but 2 weeks later was readmitted for a week with bronchial asthma. I think that was what caused the hernia (all the coughing). After that, I was just getting back on my feet when they did another angiogram and found my right artery had blocked right off again. I can't have anything else done about that as I already have 11 stents in that one. So, I have been a bit slow in picking up. Also, I have only had my stoma looked at once since I have been out and that was back in April. However, I am now certainly going to try and get myself motivated. As I have always been such an active person, also doing all my own DIY, I do get very frustrated that I am not allowed to do anything anymore, and so I am just going to go and paint my kitchen!! Once again, many thanks.

supernan

Hi, franmcg. Thanks a lot for the info. I will certainly look into that site. You are all so helpful, I cannot believe it. All my questions answered, however silly they may seem, I am so grateful.

supernan

Boatlady, hope all the checks with your heart went okay. I have now finished painting the ceiling (the hardest bit) and will start the walls tomorrow. Look out world, I'm back ha ha

Past Member

Hi - You mentioned you were trying to lose weight. I have been on a program from Isagenix -- you might want to check them out. I am NOT involved in selling them. I just thought you might want to check them out. I know that I lost 10 pounds --- and if I didn't eat so much junk food and chocolate - I'd probably be losing even more!! But, the most amazing thing I found is that I am seeing "definition" along my ribcage - whereas before it was just a rounded tummy. So - I KNOW it is getting rid of fat off my body!!!!!

supernan

Hi NorthVanGirl, thanks for the input. I have never heard of Isagenix, so perhaps they don't sell it over here or it comes under another name. At the moment, I am still on Slimfast although I find it tends to give me wind. But I think I have lost a few pounds. Weigh day is Friday, so here's hoping.

boatlady21

Hi again Supernan, all was okay...ish at the hospital. I got to have a lung function test. Now I need putting in a bag and shaking up. That will cure all, but I don't know anyone who can lift a tonne weight!!! LOL

KEEP ON PAINTING!

supernan

Boatlady: Glad things weren't too bad at check-up. Mind you, rather you than me for the lung perfusion test as I wouldn't be able to keep blowing long enough. One word of advice I can give you is that if you ever do a peak flow meter reading, hold on to your hernia while you blow. I didn't and I think another foot of intestine shot out. Felt like it anyway. So as my grandmother used to say "keep your hand on your ha'penny"!! Wrong context but right advice! By the way, I have finished painting the kitchen except the skirting boards, as Harry the Hernia won't let me bend down that far, and I can't kneel. Took me a long time as I had to keep stopping for breath but did it! Now I shall have to decide my next trick. Jenny