Huge hernia repair and stoma resite: Need advice!

Replies
Views
Robinsa

Hi, I too have had a very large hernia repaired in 2009 and I am going back to the hospital to have two more fixed in January. I had mesh put in but things have popped over the top now. I have a fellow ostomate friend in the US that has had her stoma moved from the right to the left and back again after hernias. I lost my dear wife 8 years ago to a brain hemorrhage but fight on to support my two girls and 4 grandkids. Keep your spirits up, Ali.

fable3

Ok, so this may sound really naive and stupid, but I've googled and still confused, so I will ask all of you... Could you tell that you were getting the hernia(s)? What were your symptoms? Did they develop right away or over time?

I am terrified of developing a hernia. A dear friend of mine had one and I could see the intestines and fatty tissue through the skin!! It was corrected surgically and no issues since, but still that scared visual scared the crap outta me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,697 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady
Hi all - A bit of an update .... Gynae surgeon gave me a scan and I do not have endometriosis but do have adenomyosis which is similar but remains within the womb so I do not have to have a hysterectomy .....

Am now waiting (as I have done for the last 13 years ....) for major surgery to repair the hernia, remove my colon and give me a barbie butt ... who knows when that will be ....? Cannot bear the thought of a reversal and being chained to a loo for months and also have a familial colon cancer risk, so not going there ....

As for signs of getting a hernia - pain around the site - like a pulled muscle and a bulge - mine has got much bigger over the years, but I cannot see anything through the skin (can feel the bowel ridges however) suspect your friend was quite thin?

Take care all

Rach xxx
supernan

Hi, I am glad that you have got some little bit of good news.....

However, whilst it is still not good having to wait for the surgery, I am pleased to see you back on here. We have missed you..

Past Member

Lottagelady,
Please don't underestimate your importance on this site. You are needed here ... to many people. More later, Carol

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister