Dress recommendations for ostomy surgery recovery?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Necro1134
**I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new and didn't know where else to put this**

My mom is getting married this June, and she would like me to wear a dress if possible (if I feel comfy with it). I just had ostomy surgery in September, so I have no idea what clothes "work" yet. I'm still mainly wearing PJs (I'm still having issues with Crohn's)....I would like to make my mom happy and wear a dress. She said she didn't care what kind of dress it is...What style dress do y'all recommend? I'm tall (5'9") and at the moment I'm chunky but working on losing weight (gained from steroids)..Anyways, my stoma (Fred) is kinda up higher than what I've seen before....Any help would be nice. If you need more info, please ask.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bag_n_drag

Necro - What about something in a knee length (or just above the knee), A-line style? Since it will be June in the Carolinas?; it will be very warm so something in a lighter weight, A-line would allow your skin to still "breathe" while being a bit looser (non-binding) and forgiving around the stoma area. A-lines are universally flattering, slimming, and always in style. Also appropriate for young women.....this style is ageless.
Pair this with a nice, high or mid-heeled sandal or pump and voila!, you have a nice and versatile wedding ensemble that you can wear other places, too!
Darla

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Having an ostomy won't limit the clothes you usually wear. I have always worn the same clothes I wore before surgery (my stoma is about belly-button level) with no problems as yet.

Not a big dress wearer myself (more a t-shirt and jeans lass) but one style I actually do possess is the below pic (similar to Kate Middleton's blue dress) and even without her figure (!) it is a very flattering style to all shapes and sizes. You have a decent height too which is a bonus, even with a few extra pounds most tall people tend to look pretty fab!

What you wear underneath can be just as important to give a decent line, even before my surgery and definitely always since, I have worn little camis/singlets underneath my clothes, just seems to keep everything in place!

Hope you find something special for your mum's big day!

cee
Dear Necro,

I feel for you although I am much older than you. I have a friend's daughter's wedding in November in Miami and I have shopped until I dropped. I never have an occasion to dress up and the whole experience was exhausting. I ended up purchasing a very pretty top and jacket (o.k. old lady maybe but SPARKLY) and a separate skirt...dressy...short with a very forgiving waistline. Sheer stockings. I think separates work better with ostomies than most dresses they are showing now which are tight.

Shall we talk shoes?? They are showing platform heels with a four and a half-inch stiletto. Scary.

Trust me, you are tall and...best yet...young and you will find something perfect and look great!!

Good luck!!
Past Member

Hi. I get all my dresses and high heels from a store in... Oops. Wrong website. Sorry, sorry.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Necro1134

Thanks everyone, I will look into A-line dresses and separates.... I'm not really a dress person either. I love them, I always find cute ones until I try them on. I just don't think I look good in them.... I also have to find out from my mom if she wants me to cover my tattoos and take out piercings. LOL, that will also have to be considered in dress/outfit choice. LOL (I have a huge tattoo on my left upper arm).

cee

Just thought of something else. If you want to cover your tattoo, there is a product called Dermablend. It works great for covering scars and I would guess tattoos as well. I mean, they cover Angelina Jolie up in movies, right? You can Google the product.

Bill
Hello Gizmo,

I do like the humour - thanks for the smile it gave.

Best wishes   Bill
Past Member

Gizmo, you are wicked!!! Sounds like you're back to your usual self? Here's hoping you're nearly back to your good self!! Thanks for the laugh too!!

Necro1134

Gizmo - your comment made me laugh, but I thought you were serious (are you?) because my husband used to dress in drag for a band he was in. LOL

Cee - I will have to look the product up if my mom does want me to cover my tattoos. Thanks.

Past Member

Gizmo, I couldn't stop laughing at your comment, it was ace. Thank you.

Past Member

Sorry Necro, but I was kidding. I'm far too ugly to wear a nice dress.

Colm, how are you? I'm doing okay, thanks. Maybe another few weeks and I'll be back to normal... I hope.

Necro1134

Lol, my husband looks better in a dress than I do.
budd002

I think this dress would work. It will give you a nice form and shape up top while able to accommodate any bulging you may experience from the bag. Might I suggest wearing tighter spandex underwear to hold things in a bit tighter, eat minimally so your output will be minimal, and make frequent trips to the bathroom to "check your hair and makeup." Avoid the veggies as they will cause gas and you will go in looking hot but over the night become pregnant-looking. Chew your food up really fine and do not drink out of a straw to avoid swallowing air and producing gas.

P.S. Remember to have a good time!!

Sharry

Past Member

Hey, I was in your place this summer. I have a tattoo on my back and my bag is a bit higher than usual. I also put on weight from the steroids. Through many trials and try-ons, I found things that work. There are pants called comfort fit... they have no zipper but they look just like jeans, dress pants, etc. Work like a charm. For dresses, I found the empire waist works, and also the ones that wrap around and tie. Two-piece always works... depends on how dressy. And since the wedding was in Greece and was 50 degrees... I used a wrap over my shoulders and pinned it. To cover the tattoo, of course... lol. Even when my bag filled up... you couldn't tell. Empire waist looks slimming too... good luck.

Necro1134

Thanks y'all))))

Quietdreamer28
Hey!!! You're a North Carolinian. Yay, me too! Anyways, wear whatever you are comfortable in. The ostomy shouldn't limit what you wear. I'd say something that is not too tight or restrictive around the ostomy area. You'll learn what works best for you. It took me a little bit of time, but I understand how you feel. I'm still having Crohn's issues after surgery and try to stay with the nice fashion since I am still young. It really boils down to whatever YOU are comfortable in. Heck, dresses are easier to wear with ostomies than pants in my opinion since they are loose around the waist. Best wishes and hope you find the perfect dress for you!
Necro1134

Thank you! Yep, I'm from NC. Lol, I live near Charlotte though. Lol. And I found the perfect dress. My mom even loves it. 3

Tiffy-poo

I love rockabilly and retro clothing, so I always buy dresses that have a high waist and poofy skirt. I am wearing one of those dresses in my photos. If you Google it or know of a shop that caters to that scene, you can find any dress, any color!