Seeking Advice on Colostomy Guards

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and recommendations on colostomy guards, offering solutions and insights for individuals seeking support in managing their colostomy.
billba2020

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with colostomy guards or any protective equipment. I have found some ads are quite overstated. Thanks, Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three

Convatec's Stoma Guard works great and it's free!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

What free? There's nothing in the US for free unless it's in the free ads and used. Wow, to think that the healthcare here would give something to people that need things. Well, I guess they give you your bill free. They don't charge for the paper and stamp, or do they? Since they charge so much for anything they do, the cost is already in the bill. Want the government to be able to help people? Then the big cuts should be how much they are paid and make them pay for the medical bills like everyone else. The overpaid pompous asses just think how fast we could be out of debt, and people believe they can change the world while the rich control the poor. Shall suffer. Well, thanks for letting me get a little ranting off. I know it falls on deaf ears. Time for snacks and drink.

Bill
Hello Bill,

I have used Convatec stoma guard and it worked very well.    When I first had the stoma I was concerned about the potential damage that the claws of the dogs that I picked up might do.    This device gave me a bit of confidence.  I don't need it now because I wear a hernia belt which is so sturdy it feels a bit like wearing a bullet proof vest.    

Best wishes  

Bill
Bill
Hello weewee,

I enjoyed your rant. Whilst you might have a well-founded cynical perspective on those who have and don't want to give.    Please remember that there are many more like you who feel that the way things are at present is unfair.   They are the ones who are likely to listen to what you have to say.    There is a saying that people only hear what they want to hear and I'm afraid that the rich and powerful are unlikely to be listening to what you have to say.   That doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep saying it.

Best wishes

Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Could you provide a link to it, please? I have been searching for it but have not found it. Arg! I could use it also. Thank you!

Past Member

Wee wee;

I think it is time you get an education...

ZACK

This is Zack; I bought and am using a protective device for the auto seat belt. It works well, is comfortable, and seems like it would be effective in any crash. It goes by the name of "Weir Comfee" and costs about 25 dollars (US). You might find it on the internet by name, or the company's address is: Weir Comfees, P.O. Box 255, Alliston, Ontario, L9R1V5. The phone number is 1-800-856-5088. (I know, I know, no phone numbers; but this is for a resource, not personal!)

It's just two soft plastic blocks wrapped in fabric that wrap around the seat belt to hold spacer blocks on each side of the stoma.

billba2020

Thanks all, I checked Convatec's website and their brochure and have not found a stoma guard for a colostomy, so I will keep checking. Also trying to find out about Ostomy Armour products or similar items. Thanks for the help. Bill

three
Hi Bill ~ You can contact Convatec in Canada (Convatec US doesn't carry it) at 1-800-465-6302 and ask them to send you their free "Stoma Guard". They do not provide the elastic belt to hold the shield in place, so you will need to buy one. The Convatec belt is of poor quality; however, the clips on the better quality Coloplast belt (#2015-02) fit the Convatec shield. This belt costs around $10 if you do not have full insurance. When wearing the shield, there's a tendency for thick output to "pancake" under it; if this happens, don't forget to momentarily lift the shield away from your stoma and use your thumbs to work the output down into the bag: if you forget to do this, the pressure can build up under the shield and begin to lift your flange and cause a leak.
billba2020

Thanks a lot, I will give them a call tomorrow.

kenkd
http://www.ostomart.co.uk/products/ostoshield/

I am a martial artist. I use Osto-shield to protect from direct blows. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it works for me. It has a canal opening at the bottom to allow contents of the bag to fill unobstructed. It is a fine and sturdy product.