Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
PADI60
STOMA HAS ANYONE HAD THE PROBLEM OF THE SCAR TISSUE GROWING BACK OVER THE STOMA AND CLOSING IT DOWN. IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO?? THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPEN WAS ABOUT A MONTH AGO I HAD A SMALL SURGERY TO OPEN IT AGAIN,NOW I FIND IT MAYBE CLOSING AGAIN,SCARES ME.
THANKS IF U HAVE ANY ANSWERS FOR ME PAT
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Pat, I am not familiar with this issue and I will watch to see what others have experienced. I have had stoma size changes over the past months. But these changes are relatively small and everything continues working well.

What does your doctor say about it? Is it a new stoma? Is your stoma not working as well? If it blocks output that would be frightening. Keep us informed please.

I look forward to seeing your profile. Carol
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
PADI60
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT,I HAD SURGERY A YEAR AGO,SO IT'S NOT NEW. IT IS NOT FUN WHEN CLOSES DOWN,THAT'S WHY THEY DID THAT SURGERY TO OPEN IT WIDER AGAIN,BUT SEEMS TO BE GETTING SMALLER AGAIN AND THAT WAS JUST A MONTH AGO
Bill
Hello PAD160,

The way you describe your condition it sounds as if the scar tissue is continuing to grow.  I didn't know anything about this condition until a friend of mine suffered from it.  I have looked it up though Google and there is a lot of information on it.   Here is a snippet:  

A keloid scar is a raised scar that is not flat like the rest of your skin. This type of scar tissue keeps growing. Hypertrophic scars are less troublesome because they don't keep growing. Both of these surgery scars look very different from your normal skin.

If you have a scar that keeps growing, you may want to ask your cosmetic surgeon if you can receive an injection directly into the scar. Most plastic surgeons know how to treat scars by injecting a 1% lidocaine solution into the scar.

This scar care method can be repeated as needed until the scar stops growing and begins to flatten and lose it's redness. This treatment sometimes helps resolve scar tissue pain as well.

Of course this may not be the problem in your case so the advice to consult someone who knows about these things seems to be the best way forward. (The surgeon who did the operations for the stoma may not be an expert in the field of scar tissue growth)

I hope this is helpful  

Best wishes  

Bill
Cecille
Try eating a lot more. That should keep it open!!!!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
StomaStan
Yea, no kidding hit an all you can eat buffet or something, I know sometimes I wish mine would close up for alittle while! LOL Bu in all sericousness, I really would get that checked out, I don't know if you are a candidate for reversal, but if so, that could certainly pose a big issue
PADI60
I eat enough,thank you. The doctor's just say I have a problem with scar tissuse,and it is starting to close again. So surgery again before the first of the year,I'm sure and I also have a hennia where my stoma is.Does anyone have this problem?? I'm a mess Hope everyone is doing well out there.