Illeal conduit, colostomy, ...

Views: 200 Replies: 4

What to do...

Views: 546 Replies: 7

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Drainable bags

Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,874 members interested in a relationship

10,562 members looking for support

110,586 exchanged private messages

48,312 forum posts

1,272 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 bluejamiesmom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Drainable bags Reply with quote

I am new to the ostomy world -- just had my surgery on Nov 14 -- still trying to adapt to all this.  Can someone give me some tips on rinsing out the drainable bags?  Am using them till I can develop some sort of regularity and I do not like emptying the bag and leaving all the mess in there for an extended period of time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 j-6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of ostomy do you have? Can you use opaque pouches or non-drainable pouches?
 ash1712

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i'm at home and have to empty my pouch i use wet wipes to keep it a bit fresher. I don't know if it makes a difference but i've done this since my first op.
 coral
Nurse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hated drainable bags, particularly when I was feeling nauseous and poorly post op,  and opted for a closed disposable system - just detached the bag a couple of times a day and threw them away without having to confront the contents!
 Xerxes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I do not know whether you will ever get all of the material out unless you disconnect the appliance from the flange which is possible with a two piece system. This, however, will require some source of water for rinsing. I agree with Ash's point.

X_
 bluejamiesmom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a colostomy.  Right now I am using the see thru drainable just for the convenience of having to empty several times a day and of not yet being regulated since the surgery.  I just hate being able to see all the mess that is still in the bag even after emptying.  I will probably switch over to the closed end pouch in the near future --  that is, if I can tolerate this other for that long.

I had just read somewhere that you could "empty and rinse".  Sounded like a big project!
 bluejamiesmom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I discovered the wet wipe thing while I was still in the hospital.  It makes a lot of difference.  I guess it would be better if the pouch was not see thru -- these are what I was sent home with from the hospital.  And they are good for the convenience right now.  Just thought since I had read these could be "emptied and rinsed" I would find out if anybody actually did that.  Thanks!
 banshie3by5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a mustard bottle type for risning the bag & Altoids for odor control, just drop two or three in after each emptying.  You'll get hte hang of it Smile
I used a chair to sit facing the toilet for months, until one day it wasn't an option (&the stall was too small for me to kneel) & I realized I could just drain it between my legs.
 dulcimerman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both urostomy and ileostomy the urostomy is no bother as there is a drain tap fitted and I change the bag daily the ileostomy is opaque drainable and i empty about 3-4 times a day   I only clean the out first inch of internal and fold it back up . this seems to work for me. However there are disposable pouches which you just throw away. I know at first its offputting cleaning but hey its your own mess and the ostomy has saved your life hopefully.
Hope this helps  Jas.
 megalyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why worry about washing it out?  If you make a cuff and clean it with TP there is no smell or mess.  Do you use M9 drops?  You may need to use more than the bottle says (I do) but it really works good.
 DH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I  hated the drainable bags. But I had to use them when I got home from my surgery because I was still passing watery stools .I. just hated to drain.I never liked the idea of leaving stuff behind in the bag.And I just didn't feel clean.I am not sure what type of ostomy you have. I have a colostomy and I pass solid stool except when I get diarrhea. So I switched to a closed end bag that I just throw away after it's full.You may want to try them out depending on what type of ostomy you have.     Donna
 Lecia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might sound grotesque but I take mine off the wafer and rmpty it through the bigger opening. Then I rinse it out with vinegar and water. Sometimes I have to use a used toothbrush to get into the grooves. I am used to doing this as I have had mine for almost four years. I also have a urinoscopy bag, so you can imagine what a let down tthat was. Just grin and bear it. It could be worse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to disconnect from the flange and rinse under the bath spout (high pressure hot water), then reconnect.  I could use the same bag for a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coral wrote:
I really hated drainable bags, particularly when I was feeling nauseous and poorly post op,  and opted for a closed disposable system - just detached the bag a couple of times a day and threw them away without having to confront the contents!

I had to pay for my equipment, so throwing out the bags every time I emptied them, wasn't very economical.
 AAirman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I had surgery not to long ago too, and still remember what you are going through.   I carry around a bottle of water (that I refill) and use that to help flush all the other waste out.  I think it makes me feel cleaner and better after finishing in the restroom.  There have been times when water is not available and it is kind of gross leaving so much behind.  When I flush out everything with water I feel so much better.

Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: