Advice on Ostomy Reversal Prep?

Replies
Views
Patrice

Hi everyone. I have been reading your posts since I had an emergency sigmoid colostomy performed on Oct 6. This is my first time posting. My reversal is scheduled for Monday Jan 30th and my doctor has prescribed a bowel prep called Moviprep. I took half the prescribed amount prior to my first surgery as I have a very sensitive colon. However, my doctor is recommending the full 2-course prep this time and I am worried. I would appreciate any advice regarding the prep and what it's like to cleanse the bowel with an ostomy. Thanks so much!

TotallySurprised

I know it may seem excessive, however, really cleansing is a huge deal in abdominal surgery as I am sure you are aware.

I had my reversal nearly 2 weeks ago, so far so good! I just sat in a chair with a bucket and my pouch drained directly into the bucket. The prep cleaned me out in a couple of hours and then I showered and went to bed.

Good luck and best wishes for a very speedy recovery!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Patrice

Thanks totally. I was totally surprised too as I had never had any GI issues in my 61 years. This hit me hard (diverticular abscess that didn't respond to draining and antibiotics). No history. Anyway, I am excited and hope my outcome is as good as yours. On the day before the surgery, did you have to go on a clear liquid diet? My doctor didn't say anything about that and I don't know if I should eat or not.

TotallySurprised

Yes, I did have to be on liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery. I do water, chicken bouillon, yellow jello, juices,

I too had tribulations. My first attempt at reversal failed and I had an ileostomy for 5 months, but hopefully we are on the final leg!

Past Member

I don't remember what I was required to swallow to cleanse before the colostomy takedown in Dec.
I did call ConvaTec for ideas to catch all the gunk and they sent me - free - two irrigation bags to fit my flange.
The things have no odor resistance, but I only had to get up 3-4 times to empty out, then I pitched it and snapped my regular bag back on.

I lay in bed with the thing along my thigh, wrapped in a towel to muffle the smell, with the covers over me the towel-clad bag. That towel also helped to carry me the thing to the bathroom to empty out with a more secure feeling.

Only needed one irrigation bag even though they sent two.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

I'm glad I didn't see this until today. Moviprep was the worst lavage I ever experienced and I won't allow my doc to try it again. The best prep I ever had was Half-Lytely but since the doc doesn't prescribe this one anymore, I can only imagine it doesn't do its job all that well.

coral
Hello Patrice,

I did the colostomy after a Hartmann's procedure trip last year, for scarring causing a semi-obstructed sigmoid colon. It is about 8 months since my laparoscopic reversal surgery.
The movi-prep was fine, a couple of glasses of ganky tasting liquid, and then a pause waiting for the diarrhea to begin! I took myself into the loo with a flanged resealable bag instead of the usual one-piece disposable system that suited me. It was a bit erm... distasteful, but no worse than many of us have to live with on a normal day!
I just got on with it, and one has to, because making the bowel as clean as possible helps protect us from infection during the surgery, and must make the job a little less onerous for the surgeon and his team too.
Every best wish for your op. By the way, almost a year on, I feel very well now, but am left with a hernia which I think I'll live with.
Drink plenty of bio-active yogurt as you recover. It'll help the gut germs get back to normal which is important when they've been bombarded with antibiotics.