ALEA VERA

Views: 170 Replies: 1

Need help for my mother ......

Views: 350 Replies: 6

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

SHORT WEAR TIME?

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,800 members interested in a relationship

10,426 members looking for support

109,952 exchanged private messages

48,017 forum posts

1,269 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: SHORT WEAR TIME? Reply with quote

I HAVE HAD A PERMANENT ILEOSTOMY SINCE 2009, I KEEP READING IN THE FORUME FROM OTHERS WHO SAY THEY CAN WEAR THEIR APPLIANCES FOR 3 DAYS TO A WEEK OR MORE, HOW DO THEY DO THAT?  I AM LUCKY IF I CAN MAKE IT MORE THAN TWO DAYS AND THEN I ALWAYS FEAR IT WILL START LEAKING DURING THE NIGHT WHICH IT HAS IN THE PAST.  I KEEP READING ABOUT THE RINGS THAT CAN BE APPLIED UNDER THE APPLIANCE TO EXTEND WEAR BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW THEY ARE ATTACHED BEFORE THE NORMAL APPLIANCE IS ATTACHED (I WEAR THE HOLLISTER TWO PIECE, LOCK AND ROLL SYSTEM)?  I'VE ALSO FOUND THAT THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY IS VERY LITTLE HELP ONCE YOU ARE RELEASED FROM THE HOSPITAL LEAVING YOU PRETTY MUCH ON YOUR OWN AND, IN MY CASE, TOTALLY IN THE DARK ABOUT TAKING CARE OF YOUR SITE AND HOW TO MANAGE YOUR APPLIANCES.  ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED.  ONE OTHER COMMENT, I REFUSE TO ALLOW MYSELF TO BE DOWN AND FEEL SORRY FOR MYSELF, PREFERRING TO BE UPBEAT AND HAPPY AND MAKE THE BEST OF SOMETHING I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER.  IN FACT I HAVE NAMED MY OSTEMEY "DOROTHY" AS IN DOROTHY IN THE WIZARD OF OZ.  IF I NEED TO EMPTY MY POUCH WHEN WITH FRIENDS I SAY IT IS TIME TO ATTEND TO DOROTHY AND THEY ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.  MUCH BETTER THAN ANNOUNCING TO ALL THAT I NEED TO EMPTY MY BAG, MUCH MORE CIVILIZED DON'T YOU THINK?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a permanent ileostomy and use the Hollister two piece system and usually get 5 to 7 days wear time for the base plate and change the bags every 1 to 2 days.  

I also use the Hollister barrier rings, and on change day after I have cleaned around the stoma site thoroughly, mould the barrier ring around the stoma directly onto the skin so it fits snugly, and place the base plate on, snap on the bag and am good to go.  I should mention that I use a Hollister convex flexwear base.  If you are experiencing leaks convex bases are great because they push the stoma out gently and prevent any output coming into contact with the skin directly around the stoma.

I like your attitude in not letting it get you down, like the "Dorothy" reference too (perhaps because I'm from Oz! ), having an attachment for life certainly beats the alternative I reckon!  
 fable3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your attitude!

I eat about 3-4 regular sized marshmallows 10 minutes before I change my gear. Virtually stops all output for about 5 whole minutes and slows it way down for about 30 minutes.

I had such a hard time with the rings because the stoma would dribble as soon as or as I was attaching to my skin. Pissed me off to the point of crying...

I started out with Hollister two piece and loved it. I could get 5-6 days of wear time with daily showering, working out, etc. Long story short, I have to use Convatec supplies that aren't really meant to work together and only get 2-3 days wear time.

I hope it gets better for you. Lots of good info on this site.
 Xerxes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall,

I used Hollister for many years and had the same problem you are describing. I too got 2 days out of my appliance/wafer (really the wafer is the problem). About a year ago I switched to the Convatec two piece system and I really think it's great. I can get up to a week now without changing. You should try it. The Hollister wafer I found to be too thick and consequently not flexible enough. It would crease and the crease would eventually be a site of discharge...yes often during the night. I don't know why i did not change earlier.

X_
 masj1019@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Answer Short Wear Time,

I finally found someone who has the same issue as me.  I am lucky if it lasts 2 days because I leak and have to change it. I use the ring and it doesn't do anything.  I am also having a hard time finding someone who could help me with this issue.  I use the bag that you can just put on without any cutting.  So if you or anyone can let me know what to do I would appreciate it
 Saabatical

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an ileostomy since 1997. The only "fix" I found was to wear a 6" wide hernia belt. The problem you are going to have is the weakening of your stomach muscles. I found using one of those isometric exercisers(ISO7) is great for toning muscles in that area. It also got me back into a good exercise program. Its a plus plus in the long run. The belt keeps your appliance on, and the exercises create positive results all around.
 Darren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wear my ostomy bag 4 to 7 days.usually after the 3rd day i use compound Benzoin tincture u.s.p.  it works like a glue .  does not make removal any different. also i only use the one piece unit.  i hope this might help.
 Opa Ray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall, I used to wear the Convatec appliance but switch to the Holister product t which was for me a great improvement. I usually last 5 to 7 days before changing. Since the change no to Hollister more accidents nor problems at night time. Greetings, Opa Ray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU ALL FOR SOME OF THE BEST ADVISE I'VE HAD ALL THESE YEARS OF TRIAL AND ERROR WITH MY OSTEMY.  IT IS SO WONDERFUL TO FINALLY FIND A GROUP THAT UNDERSTANDS WHAT I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH, YOU HAVE ALL MADE ME QUITE WELCOME TO THE GROUP, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  I NOW HAVE A WONDERFUL LIST OF SUPPLIES AND IDEAS TO TRY, I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW MY PROGRESS IN COMING MONTHS.
 hometown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall,  I had the same problem and nothing I did would help.  Finally 3 months ago I got lucky and got an appointment with an ET nurse and boy has it made a difference in my life...  I am now after many trials in supplies,  This is a smaller appliance that feels so much better and has staying power.  With this I use Hhollister adapt rings.  You put them on the appliane before you apply it, as the main thing is to get a real good fit around the stoma and since you will use the pre cut it is real easy to put on.  The bag is no 18112 and it snaps on easy and is very comfortable material.  Remember to get a good seal so no leakage occures as that is what causes the leak  Hope  this helps   Good Luck     Joyce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR JOYCE,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVISE.  I HAVE NEVER USED THE ADAPTER RINGS BECAUSE NOBODY EVER TOLD ME HOW TO USE THEM.  YOU HAVE NOW FILLED ME IN SO I WILL ORDER SOME WITH MY NEXT ORDER TO HOLLISTER.  DO THEY HAVE A PEEL AND STICK SYSTEM LIKE THE FLANGE OR DO YOU HAVE TO USE PASTE AND THEN PASTE AGAIN WHEN YOU ATTACH THE FLANGE?  I FEEL SO STUPID BUT OUR SUPPORT HERE IN RENO, MEDICALLY, IS VERY MUCH LACKING.  YOU LEAVE THE HOSPITAL AND YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN FROM THERE ON OUT.  IF YOU'LL PARDON THE EXPRESSION "IS SUCK'S", HA!  I WILL CONTACT HOLLISTER TOMORROW AND SEE IF THEY MIGHT SEND ME A SAMPLE TO TRY BEFORE I ORDER.

THANK'S AGAIN........DICK
 lucky duck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall, I use the conviatec two piece with the ekins seal which is the same as the adapt ring, just another company.  I attach the seal around the skin barrier and make sure the seal is squished to cover the similar material on the skin barrier or the drainage manages to get between the two and I and not get the usual 7-8 days useage before I need to change.  Ther is a product from micro skin which is cymed and it is a clear barrier that I use when I want to go into water with my bathing suit in the summer.  This is also an excellent product that I again use the ekins seal in the same way.  I believe the key is the precut hole that is the same size or a tad smaller than the stoma.  Then there is no buring or irritation with the skin.  One more very important thing that I do is to clean off all of the old adhesive with adhesive remover, clean that off with regular water (I use a paper towel) and then apply skin barrier - is is a small pad like the adhesive remover - that has to dry maybe 30 seconds until it gest tacky and that protects the skin from the adhesive and promotes the seal.  Then I apply the appliance that I have prepared ahead of time similar to a one piece.  There are also things called E-Z vents (by Kem)that can be attached to the pouch near the top to release the gas that you collect so that you do not have to open the pouch from the bottom to get rid of just the air.  I used to use the paste before I discovered the seals and that made a big, big difference with the leak occurances.  

Hopefully this will help you along with the advice from the other great people on this site.

Good luck and keep in touch.  Lucky Duck
 teter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Hall- I have had an Ileostomy (I) since 2005 because of a botched colon operation.I was very forunate in that our area has a (I) nurse who visits your home and gives u all the instructions in how to clean and put on the Hollister brand appliances and bags.
With proper cleaning and careful application I can get a full week with out changing the appliance or bag. I have had only 2  bag problems since 2005. The key to this is proper cleaning of the area around the stoma and a person to assist u in centering the flange on ur stoma. I believe if u follow my outine u shd get a week or more with one appliance and bag.

I have a PSW (Personal support worker) who comes once a week to assist me with my weekly change . I do 95% of the work. The PSW hands me stuff and centers the flange on my stoma and snaps the bag on at the right wearing angle. I lay out all the items I need on my bed prior to the weekly change day.  Here is my list of stuff-Adapt paste 79300-Adapt stoma powder 7906-3M Cavilon spray 28 ml- remover wipes 7760- kleenex- Q tips- J cloth cut in small strips for cleaning the area around the stoma-small cup of warm water for stoma cleaning-a small cup of warm to hot water to put ur paste in to keep it soft so it is easy to put on- a plastic bag for disposal of the old bag and appliance - and a belt to snap on the bag. I also follow the rule of no eating after 6pm on the date prior to the change day. This tends to eliminate running of stool while u r doing the change.

If needed i can let let u know my changing procedure. Good luck!
TETER
 renee851

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just switched to the convetec two piece system with the stick on pouch. I change my pouch every two days and my skin barrier every four days. My insurance is willing to pay for this amount. It helps me feel cleaner.

Renee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Day One I was given quality supplies with printed instructions and have never had to change sooner than 7 days.

Here's what I use/do:
ConvaTec 2-piece; flange is Sur-Fit Natura, Durahesive moldable skin barrier (I use convex as I have a padded tummy).
Bag choice is up to you; they make many both drainable and disposable.

Technique (I use ALL ConvaTec except the waterproof tape):
- use 1 AllKare adhesive remover pad to get barrier off
- use 2nd adh rem pad to get every microbe of sticky off, inc going slightly outside the perimeter of where the barrier sat
- rinse/wipe with WATER ONLY; can use gauze square to ever-so-gently "debride" to get any last microbes of stickum (NEVER use soap of any kind; if in shower, be faastidious about keeping water-only along the belly)
- pat dry thoroughly
- apply 1 pad AllKare Skin Barrier wipe; again, go outside that perimeter; give this a minute to dry
- squeeze a ring of Stomahesive paste around stoma; let it "air" for just a sec to let the chemicals evaporate (alternatively, can use Eakin seal; works great and I like it better than paste; call ConvaTec 800 line for more instructions/ideas on Eakin)
- apply skin barrier, peel off paper, smooth "fabric" out flat as possible
- "picture-frame" around barrier with HyTape pink waterproof tape
- IMMEDIATELY snap on ostomy belt, as snug as comfortable, leave on for a few hours (this helps the karaya-based barrier sften to body temp and stick, and also keeps the whole system against the body so the fabric sticks better

Don't want to knock anyone else's product, but if what you're using is making you nuts, switch to something else.  I was told ConvaTec is the "Cadillac" of ostomy systems.  I've also been told "gee whiz, it's expensive!" BUT -- if you only have to change once per week, you're saving money.  One box of wafers & 1 of bags (box of 10 each) will last you 10 weeks.

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: