From Day One I was given quality supplies with printed instructions and have never had to change sooner than 7 days.
Here's what I use/do:
ConvaTec 2-piece; flange is Sur-Fit Natura, Durahesive moldable skin barrier (I use convex as I have a padded tummy).
Bag choice is up to you; they make many both drainable and disposable.
Technique (I use ALL ConvaTec except the waterproof tape):
- use 1 AllKare adhesive remover pad to get barrier off
- use 2nd adh rem pad to get every microbe of sticky off, inc going slightly outside the perimeter of where the barrier sat
- rinse/wipe with WATER ONLY; can use gauze square to ever-so-gently "debride" to get any last microbes of stickum (NEVER use soap of any kind; if in shower, be faastidious about keeping water-only along the belly)
- pat dry thoroughly
- apply 1 pad AllKare Skin Barrier wipe; again, go outside that perimeter; give this a minute to dry
- squeeze a ring of Stomahesive paste around stoma; let it "air" for just a sec to let the chemicals evaporate (alternatively, can use Eakin seal; works great and I like it better than paste; call ConvaTec 800 line for more instructions/ideas on Eakin)
- apply skin barrier, peel off paper, smooth "fabric" out flat as possible
- "picture-frame" around barrier with HyTape pink waterproof tape
- IMMEDIATELY snap on ostomy belt, as snug as comfortable, leave on for a few hours (this helps the karaya-based barrier sften to body temp and stick, and also keeps the whole system against the body so the fabric sticks better
Don't want to knock anyone else's product, but if what you're using is making you nuts, switch to something else. I was told ConvaTec is the "Cadillac" of ostomy systems. I've also been told "gee whiz, it's expensive!" BUT -- if you only have to change once per week, you're saving money. One box of wafers & 1 of bags (box of 10 each) will last you 10 weeks.