Seeking Advice: Hartmann's Reversal & Hernia Repair Simultaneously

Replies
Views
snowflake1515

Hi, I have just joined the site and looking for anyone who has had a Hartmann's reversal and abdominal hernia repair done at the same time. I had emergency surgery in April and nearly died due to infection and my wound didn't heal for about 2 months. I cannot have the hernia repaired without having a reversal and I am really scared as I had no intention of having a reversal for a while as I feel really good, the best I have felt in about 2 years. Can anyone help?

stpetersburg

Hi there,
My husband also almost died when he had his emergency surgery in the summer. He had the Hartmann's reversal in November and hernia repair done at the same time. The hernia healed fairly quickly, but his big incision is still getting abscesses in it. He is still not fully recovered. Good luck to you, and I wish you a quick recovery with no complications.
Take care.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sunnydisposition.

Hi, sounds like a familiar story. I had a Hartmann's reversal and hernia repair in November. In the last week, I am pain-free, the wound has nearly healed, and I am going back to work in one week!
The surgeon used a massive bit of mesh to seal the hernia, and this irritated my intestines, which have been producing eulate. Three weeks after the operation, the wound split open, and three pints of the stuff poured out. They left the small wound open, and it drained out into a bag. It has gradually gone from around 200ml a day to the last week where there is either no output or around 20ml, which is so encouraging.
So my advice would be to look for the tummy swelling as it may need draining.
I have been told the reason this happened is that I still have mild Crohn's disease, and the bowel may have been irritated by the mesh.
It has been a slow, painful process, but I am nearly there, and I am glad I had it done!
Please look at my previous threads to get some top tips for the operation and aftercare.
Sunny x

snowflake1515

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I don't have a date for OP, but I will post an update. I hope your husband gets better soon.

snowflake1515

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I haven't got a date yet. Glad to hear you're getting back to work. I will post when I have op.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tinker424

Hi, I just had the reversal and the doctor discovered a very large hernia which I didn't know about. He did both at the same time and I won't lie to you, it's very uncomfortable and you have to learn how to eat again. I see my doctor in 2 weeks. I have a lot to ask. You will be fine. It's just a matter of healing.
Hope this helped. Good luck.