Looking for charity to donate unused ostomy bags and flanges

Replies
Views
margie

Hi
I often read what you all have to write and find it illuminating, sometimes sad and usually inspiring.
I have had my stoma re-sited and now I can't use the many two-piece bags and flanges I have. I would hate for them to go to waste when there are people desperate for them. Does anyone have a contact with a charity that deals with this? I would appreciate any information.
Thanks
Margie

ky_mimi

There is an organization FOW (Friends of Ostomates Worldwide). You can look them up online. They accept donations of supplies and send them to third world countries where people have no supplies! There is also an organization that accepts donations and sends them to US citizens who have no insurance. They only charge shipping. I'm sorry I don't have their name, but I'm sure you could Google it and find out how to contact them.

Hope that helped.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,459 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I took all my things to a local ostomy meeting and had a "freebie grab bag" on the sofa in the lobby.
Those things that didn't go that day will go to my local mtg group and will be given by them to a homeless shelter.
I don't know how to find a homeless group, but I'm sure the police department is a good place to start.

And hooray! Isn't it great to get rid of that stuff??

NancyAnn

You can also donate them to a hospital in your area. I am sure they can use them for patients as well.

stpetersburg

We donated the extra supplies to the ostomy nurse as she knows people who can't afford to pay for the supplies.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ilsn2u

Another place is to donate to the Cancer Society. They can use them! I doubt that a hospital could use them because of other issues...they won't even take back stuff that's wrapped and that they themselves gave you!

Yukon steve

I gave all my supplies to my local nursing station and my home care nurse. My nursing station does not stock them as there are only two other ostomy patients here. But during the summer, they need them from time to time to help out tourists in trouble.

llanotexbill

I took mine to a local nursing home. There are almost always folks who need help.