Music Festivals with an ostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Scott Chance
I have an ileostomy and wondered if anyone on here has been to a music festival post surgery?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but I was invited to one today and didn't feel confident enough to say yes because getting a spot close enough to the stage to see my favourite band would mean arriving at ten in the morning and leaving at ten at night, eg, a twelve hour day spent in a muddy field contending with using portaloos decorated by thousands of other music lovers. Then there's the worry of fighting my way through the crowds to get to the portaloos in time should I get a proctitis attack (which I get at least once a day).

I've tried quite a few things since my surgery as I told myself in hospital that I didn't want to let this make me miss out on things in life, so in a sense I feel like I let myself down in saying no, but on the other hand I'm not going to enjoy the festival very much if I'm on edge all day because of the poor facilities.

Have other ostomates braved music festivals? Am I worrying unecesarily?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
There are very few things an ostomate may have to miss out on. I would no longer care to go deep-sea diving, for example, or engage in certain contact sports. That's my choice because I do not want to deal with foreseeable consequences. Everybody, regardless of age or medical condition, has to make decisions about his or her activities and lifestyle. If attending a rock concert even under harsh conditions is important to you, make it happen. Plan ahead. Readiness is all. Still, leave a little room for common sense. PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Scott Chance
Having thought about things, I've decided to brave it and go the festival. When I came out of hospital I told myself I'd miss out on as little as possible and I don't want to miss out on this, so I'm just going to have to tough it out - poor facilities or not.
Past Member
when you get there, scope out the loos more so you know where they are. you don't have to be super close to the stage if you need insurance in case you need to make a quick trip.

i go to shows all the time and i don't let my colostomy stop me.
Primeboy

As one ostomate previously said, don't let your ostomy define you or your activities. Enjoy the show!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member
I went to see Massive Attack and several other bands at a 1/2 day event at Westonbirt Arboretum. They had a disabled bog there ( a portaloo just for us!!) and they had a security guard looking after it. The main thing you need is cleanliness, especially the floor, seat, sink etc etc.
If they don't play ball with you, simply drop your kegs and empty your bag in front of them.... They'll listen and take action then.

Aside..... I have a RADAR key for UK disabled WC's (about 7000 of them) that subscribe to the RADAR scheme. Key entry helps to keep bogs cleaner. However, I went to the O2 in London last year and had a run in with an idiot who questioned my level of disablility when accessing a non-RADAR disabled loo, i.e. "Your not disabled, you don't have a wheel chair!"). My son tore him off a strip while I went to the disabled loo. I wrote to O2 recommending they make ALL their disabled loos RADAR key. They replied that they would remove RADAR locks to make access easier !!!!!!!!!! What idiots....

Anyway, go for it for your festival, but ensure you take double supplies, and spare clothes, and a couple of black bin bags. You may need them,
Past Member
what renegade said with respect to clothes, supplies, etc.
LilyJ
GO and have FUN. Just be sure to take tissues with you in case there is no TP in the portable johns. That's usually the only problem, if any.

You can do anything you WANT! That's why you had your surgery....
Scott Chance
A few weeks ago I attended the festival (the Download Festival) and had a really good time. I'm so glad I took the plunge.

The facilities are basic but to be honest I got on ok with the portaloos, if anything I was probably getting on better than the colonistas because I didn't have to sit down and come into contact with the dirty things. Plus the looser ileostomy output flushed away fine (sorry to be graphic!).

Provided you have spare supplies with you, maybe take your own loo roll etc I would recommend this to other ostomates who want to see live music. You shouldn't have to miss out.

Thanks to everyone on this thread who encouraged me to go, it was a day in my life I really wouldn't have wanted to miss out on.
Past Member
there's no such thing as graphic when it comes to output.

glad you went! and that it was such a good time.

looks like your months of plotting paid off.
LeanneP
Hi Scott i was wondering the same thing too! I went to see Machine head back in May but it was indoors i had seated tickets - i didnt want to chance a mosh pit just yet! But i will be going to a concert in September which is outdoors so thanks for the heads up! BTW totally jealous you went to Download!!

Go you only live once! I went to creamfields Last year was amazing actually forgot about my bag well till I needed the loo! Haha!

Past Member

Although it's a ways away, it will most likely be before my reversal surgery (if recovery time would mean missing the concerts, I'll wait until June!). I'll be going to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre two nights in a row near the end of May. I'll be meeting up with some local fans from a BJM ;Facebook page for dinner or drinks before and would also like to be up near the stage during the shows, which means not having a set position. I'm feeling nervous about my bag as it's not really feasible to have a tote with a change of clothes and supplies up there with me. I should find out if the venues have a coat check. The majority of the time I've only had problematic amounts of output earlier in the day but the last three nights I've suddenly had such a large amount that I could not ignore it in the middle of a show. I recently canceled a couple of volunteer opportunities for live theatre because I'm still nervous about navigating social events and those would have been my first with a bag. I will have a seat at the Henry Rollins show next month, though, so it should be good practice and I might gain a bit more confidence about tackling the upcoming lengthier and less-structured events.

Bmokind
I have done a few music festivals since my Ostomy March of 17. It was so much easier that in days last where I'd have to trek (run!) to the porta John! I did very good, even drinking a little too much one nigh, I I navigated dumping in a Portajohn. With a little preplanning it's super easy.
sherrybear
Watch what you eat before you leave for any kind of concert.I watch what I drink and always find out where bathrooms are and how far away.Enjoy your self just because we wear a bag we can still have fun...So go and enjoy life. Sherry528