Concerned about real poop with ileostomy - need advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing concerns about stool consistency and odor with an ileostomy.
Charchie

I have had Norman for 2 1/2 years now and apart from the occasional urge to pass mucus which I was pre-warned about, have this week been for a poop twice!!! It is real poop, the same color as it used to be, and I am quite concerned. My stoma is working but at the same time this has happened??

I have had stomach aches a bit like the old monthly pains and my back has been hurting but why is this happening. I thought that when I had the ileostomy the tube was cut and one end was formed to make the stoma and the other end is sewn in underneath the stoma so how is poop getting through??

Any advice or help is anxiously awaited. Love to all

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

At least you were warned, Charchie. I haven't passed any poop (waste), but I feel your pain. I had to put up with that mucus for nearly 3 years and have back and abdomen pain. Not sure if you have had many ops, but mine are adhesions. Just getting over my 2 hernia repairs and I don't think they freed up much adhesions as I'm getting that pain back just last 2 days. This was my 9th abdomen operation. BTW, I got no info sent home with some pain meds and that was all. I'm worried to look up about the repairs cause my old stoma site is very swollen. The larger hernia was cut, but hey, you think they could've made a mm down as I have to tape pouch on. I have a large cut just under the edge of the sticky part. GEEES, talking about them making my life just that bit more harder... I think there is a post about somebody using an enema or since I can't use them anymore, it could be under blogs or forums. Not sure, check it out..

Monthly pains, I still put up with that crap too. Ugh, maybe they left something behind. Weird how it's just like a poop, hey!!! Mooza X X X X

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy

I think this issue was discussed in a lengthy thread last fall. The consensus was that something is terribly amiss when poop gets through and that, if your own surgeon fails to give you a satisfactory answer, another highly qualified surgeon with considerable expertise in this area should be consulted.    Be sure you understand what is happening in your body, and why, and what corrective action is required.     Good luck!     PB
scotiaman

Hi ....just a couple of notes on the issue... The ileostomy is a closed system, it can't pass material into something that once was there... If any fecal matter was to go outside the ileostomy into the abdominal cavity, you would experience sepsis very soon and be terribly sick... The stool matter you are experiencing has to be coming from what remains of your rectal stump and any attached colon (although I would expect it minimal) that happens from time to time and if you had suffered from Ulcerative colitis, (maybe Crohn's as well although I have no experience with that) it may well be recurring in the rectal stump. That leads to an accumulation of a foul-smelling ruddy-colored paste-like goo of flushed skin, mucus, and blood cells. It can flush periodically or a few times daily depending on the advancement of the disease. Anyway...this may give some clue to the source of the issue...hope it helps Scotiaman

Xerxes

I think Scotiaman is right. I have had my ileostomy for 33 years now and I still get, albeit with less frequency, a consolidated discharge from the rectum. It is quite foul-smelling and has the color that Scotiaman describes. Its composition is just as Scotiaman says. It is not poop. I seriously doubt that after 2.5 years you would still be passing fecal material. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but ask your MD anyway.

X_

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Yukon steve

After I had my ileostomy, my surgeon told me that I might still have normal bowel movements as both ends were open in the stoma. I had some mucus movements and a weekly fart but nothing else. When I went in for the barium enema in December, the barium flowed right through to my pouch and blew it off all over the x-ray table. What a mess.

Stephen

StarUK

I have an ileostomy and still pass bowel movements. They refer to it as overspill. I wouldn't worry about it. The problem can come from constipation in the colon. I can't take anything orally, and there is nothing in the anus to resolve it rectally.

BB

I had a complete ileostomy from having severe Crohn's Disease. The surgeon removed my colon, anus, and rectum. Apparently, due to that, I have no place for fecal matter to go except my stoma. It sounds as if you are concerned and rightly so. I would definitely contact your surgeon or at least your ET nurse to put your mind at ease. There is too much that happens to place concern on you without answers.

Good luck!

BB

I had a complete ileostomy from having severe Crohn's Disease. The surgeon removed my colon, anus, and rectum. Apparently, due to that, I have no place for fecal matter to go except my stoma. It sounds as if you are concerned, and rightly so. I would definitely contact your surgeon or at least your ET nurse to put your mind at ease. There is too much that happens to place concern on you without answers.

Good luck!

airforce1

I have that problem at the moment too.

b 4 life

I used to have that problem. I think it's due to a looped ileostomy where both ends of the bowel are sewn to the outer wall. So when the bag fills up, it gets pushed through to your bum. It made me keep getting abscesses. But then I had the rest of the bowel removed, and I haven't had that problem since as it used to give me burning cramps.

Gt Grandma

I have had my ileostomy for nearly 12 years, and I agree with your symptoms of a pain similar to a pain in the ovary. I went to the doctor, had tests, etc., and they found nothing wrong in my large colon but diverticulitis. So, a gastroenterologist told me that the large colon is still alive in our bodies and has blood flow, and so secretions get caught up in the sacs. When they get full, they have to get the stuff out, and that's when we get a rectal discharge, and the pain usually stops. I had never had it in a large dose that looked to me like baby poo until a year ago, and I went into a panic. Always before, it was a bloody discharge and little grey things about the size of my fingernail. It sometimes takes a day or two to finally all get out and back to the clear liquid that is always there. I also have learned to not eat past 2:30 PM or latest 3 PM, and then I have a small snack before bed (for me about 11:30 PM) and sleep until 8:30ish, and I don't have to get up in the night to empty my bag. Most of it is out by 11:30. Now I have sugar-free candy I suck on, and I still drink my coffee during the evening. I do live alone, and I'm 84 years old, so I don't have to fix an evening meal for anyone. It does make it easier. Don't worry about the discharge like I did. Nobody ever really explains anything to us, do they? Also, after you pass stuff, the pain goes away too, doesn't it?