Dealing with Diaperless Diaper Rash Post-Reversal

Replies
Views
Yukon steve

Let's talk about what my nurses call diaperless diaper rash. In January, I had a successful reversal, but I am having problems with diaper rash no matter how careful I clean and dry after each use.

bag_n_drag
Stephen -

It could be that you have a little yeast growing in the area... it's pretty common with babies and adults alike. My colorectal surgeon gave me a sample of Critic-Aid Clear AF/Clear Moisture Barrier with Antifungal by Coloplast when I was in his office a few weeks ago. He says some people prefer it because it decreases rash/itching and it is clear and odorless. I tried it and liked it so much I wound up ordering some from Allegro Medical (www.allegromedical.com).
If you continue to have problems, you might want to see if Coloplast will send you a sample before you invest in it to see if it helps... that way you won't have to make any "rash" decisions about ordering it until you've tried it. It's about $15 USD on the Allegro website.

Here's to a great weekend!

Darla
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Yukon steve

My nurse gave me some Infezinc and took a swab from the area. I am on a cholesterol-lowering drug called Ezitimbie that may be causing more acids than normal to be present in my stool. The way this drug acts, it coats the intestine so that less bile is reabsorbed into the system. I did not notice that my bag of wet naps had run out in my day pack that I use skiing; otherwise, I would have cleaned better and would have been okay. My own fault.

Stephen

fable3
Ouch!!!! Almost makes you not want to go, doesn't it?!

I used lots of different OTC creams, but never had an antifungal... maybe it would have helped. It might be hard to carry around, but maybe when you're at home you could try warm water in a squirt bottle? Helped me!! At first, I had one of those small peri bottles from the hospital, but it didn't hold enough water and who wants to get up with a wet, drippy bum to refill??? Ridiculous. So I bought a plain ol' water bottle from the gas station and boy was it nice to have a warm water rinse...

TMI, but hey...
violet-hummingbird
Hello Yukon Steve,

You don't mention any creams...? Some nappy/diaper wipes can also make sensitive skin sore. Wash with a sensitive skin product, dry well, and use a barrier diaper cream - I would suggest Drapolene here, but am not sure what is available to you. Treat it just like a baby's bottom!!
Sometimes babies do get red raw bottoms, and for that, we suggest clotrimazole cream 1% with hydrocortisone 1%, which is both antifungal but also anti-itch and inflammatory.
Hope those suggestions help.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
dee05

Hi Steve
I too had the same problem after my reversal. What worked for me was old-fashioned diaper rash cream... inexpensive and it worked. Give it a shot, you never know.
Good luck

Congrats on the reversal, keeping positive thoughts for you!!
Unfortunately, mine didn't work so I'm back to an ileostomy.
Take care
Sincerely, Dee

bmeup

Hey Yukon! (I like saying that, lol!) I've not had your particular problem but 2 products come to mind immediately. One is "Anti-Monkey Butt Powder", I'm not kidding. It has lots of calamine and is great in the summer. Also sounds like you're a pretty active guy so I suggest that you take a look at a protective gel called "Friction Zone" made by Brave Soldier. (www.bravesoldier.com). Good luck!

bag_n_drag

I'll vouch for the Anti-Monkey Butt....I have the cream. It rocks.

Darla