Colonoscopy Prep for Ileostomy: Concerns about GoLytely?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on using GoLytely for colonoscopy prep with an ileostomy.
ZaliBee

I am having my first colonoscopy this week and I have an ileostomy. I don't understand why they have mailed me the GoLytely and pills to take after. I heard that someone with an ileo should never take laxatives.

Isn't it dangerous to drink a gallon of that vile demon liquid?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

notexpectingthis

I think somebody at the doc's office goofed up! Think about it - colonoscopy goes up to the small intestine - not through it!!!! If you drink that vile demon liquid - you WILL get dehydrated!!!!! Think your prep is supposed to be two saline enemas the night before.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ZaliBee

I cannot take an enema, I have FAP and have had the colon, anus, rectum removal because of it. But, maybe you are right. I just do not know, I tried calling and spoke to some nurse but she kept insisting that I drink it, but something keeps telling me not to. LOL

bag_n_drag

I think not expecting this is right. I would definitely call the Doc's office for clarification.

Right before my reversal surgery, I had the same thing happen.....only I have no large intestine left and had an ileo! I went back in their offices and said "Uh....methinks we have a problem here!" Once I refreshed the front office's memory about me having NO COLON; they backed off.

I didn't even have to do the enemas...but then, again, you can't cleanse what ya ain't got!

Blessings!
Darla

ZaliBee

Thank you, guys, so much.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ZaliBee
I finally got ahold of my doctor in the GI clinic and she confirmed what the rest of you were saying. Evidently, she put in the correct orders, but since I have to go down to the Gainesville VA to have the procedure, they didn't actually look at my diagnosis, only that I needed a colonoscopy.

I did put in a complaint, however. I had informed them that I had an ileo and the clerks who answer phones at that facility didn't forward the question to a doctor or a GI nurse, they just answered the question themselves, which is dangerous. If I had been the sort of patient that did not question questionable procedures, they could have done serious harm. Especially since they sent the full prep kit and kept insisting that I take the pills, the GoLytely, and drink that fizzy stuff. (shudder)
ron in mich

Hi Zalibee, any time I had to clean out, all I did was drink clear liquids like Gatorade or green tea, chicken bouillon, etc. And that was all I needed, no solid food. Ron

mooza

Good one, Darla. But I did have some eww drink that went right through me. Oh, a barium 2 weeks ago, but it was some weird smelling kinda licorice taste. And yes, I was dehydrated very fast, but still, they found no problems. So I'm still waiting to find out why I had a nasty infection that had me sprawled out in the hospital for 4 days. Ugh. But can't you ask the doctor about us ileos? I have never had to drink the vile stuff when I had all my operations. You're right, no large bowel. Hmmm.

notexpectingthis

I am so glad you called them back that you made a complaint - just because you work in a medical environment does not mean you know what you are talking about or are educated to give a patient advice!!!! Kudos girl!!!!!

ZaliBee

Thanks!

There were apologies all around when I showed up for my endoscopy (laughs). I can't even imagine what I would have felt like if I had drunk all of that GoLYTELY on top of the laxatives they had ordered like fools.

They did say that they were going to change how they managed such situations again, which is good. I would hate for someone else to receive that prep kit and not know that it would do them real harm.

ballpeen

Hi Zalibee, if you're concerned, why don't you call the clinic that's doing the colonoscopy and ask them why you have to do the preps? I did, and the doctor told me that I didn't have to prep because I was getting a colonoscopy. They sent the Go-Lightly and laxatives anyway. I didn't take them and all went well. Ask where they're going to put the slide scope. Good luck, Zali Ballpeen.