Post-Ileostomy Stomach Flu-Like Symptoms

In this discussion
Replies
Views
zanzi1

I had an ileostomy in 1976 at age 28 for ulcerative colitis with no after effects. I know how lucky I am. In my early 30's, I went to Europe and got terrible stomach or what is left of my small intestine pains, with vomiting and liquid output. I lost about 10 lbs in weight due to fluid loss.

Nothing significant after that until I was in my fifties and now I continue to get this intermittently. It is really painful and lasts about ten days each time.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Aside from being painful, it is driving me crazy since I have no idea what it is and how, if possible, to prevent it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scotiaman

Hi.. I won't pretend to know much related to your troubles, never having as yet experienced the symptoms. However, it is possible that scar tissue (adhesions) has developed over the years and is now interfering with your normal digestive tract flow. You also might be having a twist of some type in the bowel, and if you have gained significant weight recently, that might be causing some form of blockage or pressure on vital organs. Any type of blockage will have some level of associated pain, may cause vomiting, and the stoma flow will be interrupted. Be sure to see a doctor... the pain is telling you there is an issue. All the best.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
zanzi1

Thanks so much for reminding me about the adhesions. I totally forgot to think about that. As an aside, I read your profile information and wanted to tell you that I have been all over Canada from east to west and even PEI but never to Halifax. If I ever get there, which I am determined to, I'd love some info about where to go, stay, do, etc. And, of course, I'll buy you a cup of coffee (or tea, as the case may be). Stay well, and thanks. - Ann

Past Member

I too had my bag in 1976 as a baby, now 37. Three years ago, I got sick. I had not been aboard. I needed to go to A&E. On the Sunday, I was admitted to the hospital and spent a week in there on fluids. I lost a stone in weight. They said I had stomach flu. I still haven't put back all of the weight on. Salt and potassium were almost gone. It took me ages to get my strength back, as I am quite active. I've not had this back and don't want it again, so I do feel for you. Do you get the flu jab? I got it done the following year. I also take vitamins.