How to manage ostomy gas in public? Need advice!

Replies
Views
smileafayce
Hi, I've had an ileostomy for a little over a year now. I'm a NHL cancer survivor, so I acquired mine for reasons different than most, and all this time I haven't been working or in school. So when my bag makes noise, usually whoever I'm around knows what's going on. But since I will be going back to school this fall, I am nervous about my bag making noise. I've been embarrassed at church and at a small birthday gathering too. I'm really excited to be going back to school, but it's bittersweet because I have so much anxiety about my bag embarrassing me.

I thought maybe it would be a good idea to ask the professor if I could just tell the class about it upfront, but I don't know. What do you think? Also, if you have any eating habits that would result in a less noisy bag during my classes, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Green Eyed Lady

Hi, congratulations on being an NHL survivor!!! I also have an ileostomy for 4 years and hardly have any more problems with excessive gas during the daytime. When it was newer to me, I had a lot of gas that would make noise. As I get more 'seasoned', it no longer does that. When it did, I just put my finger over the bag (actual stoma opening) and that seemed to stop it from making noise. Of course, it's like holding in a "fart" because it's natural to pass gas. Also, some foods will cause more gas than others and I think they're also gas-producers for regular folks, too: beer, carbonated drinks (sodas), beans, cabbage, cauliflower, onions, broccoli... Some people also have problems with dairy, chewing gum (swallow excessive air), radishes, soy products, and nuts, too. So, as you can see, some people have more trouble with the foods listed above - and people like me have no trouble with gas no matter what I eat (even fresh salads and all of the steamed vegetables that I want). I only seem to have gas while sleeping when my bag balloons to the point that I either have to "burp" it or empty the contents (along with excessive gas). I do this once every night because the "balloon" wakes me up. I hope some of this information helps. Tricia

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

smileafayce

Thanks a lot, Tricia! I've been trying to watch my diet more closely. I'll keep in mind the foods you mentioned. =)

notexpectingthis

I don't think that I would share with the class. There is a website called Ostomysecrets that sells wraps with an inner pouch to tuck your bag in. It helps to keep your bag flattened out really well and may give you a lot of confidence - it has for me! The wrap will also help to muffle the noise too. I think it is awesome that you are going back to school!!! Mooza, who is one of us on here, eats a marshmallow before she changes her bag to quiet down her stoma - it might help you!!!

smileafayce

Thanks a lot! I'm going to check out that website and maybe buy some marshmallows ^_^.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Msj
Hello, I am new to the forum,
I have had my permanent ileostomy since the age of 3 years old from cancer (Rhabdomyosarcoma), I will be 46 in December. I can tell you some stories about my ile and yes, I have been in plenty of situations that I did not know how I would get out of, but I learned from it. I learned the ins and outs of my bag. Even though I LOVE TO EAT, there are certain foods that can cause gas, certain foods with me that cause diarrhea. I try to stay away from that. What I like about my pouch is it has a gas filter, so that gas does not escape. No, it does not stop the noise, but I can kinda put my hand over my pouch and press a little, so noise is not too bad, but I really don't have a problem with noise.. And what helps is forums like this. Other ostomates have so much information. I choose not to let my health conditions stop my passions. I have been a fashion model for 15 years, I am a writer, motivational speaker. The only limitations put on us are by us. Keep your head up. I am here..

Msj
smileafayce
Wow, thank you so much Ms. J, those are words to reflect on. =)
Msj

Your very welcome.

gee07

Smileafayce
Please take care in eating marshmallows. Too many causes the output to slow down. As a rule, one tends to eat them to stop the output when changing the bag, not to stop any noise.
Best tip, as others have said, is putting your hand over your stoma as you can soften the gas noise better.
I found that marshmallows make a frothy sound as the output comes out, which doesn't help with any gas that may come out on and off throughout the day.
Perhaps a noisy bracelet or a few bangles together I find helps too. You can then move your hand to dull the stoma noise.
Well done to you for getting yourself back out there.

smileafayce

Sorry I'm so late, but thank you for the caution on marshmallows. =)

gee07

Smileafayce,
That's okay, better late than never. How are you getting on with going back to work?
Do hope your stoma is starting to settle down although it does take some time.
Gee07