To BCIR or not to BCIR

Views: 144 Replies: 1

Ileostomy patient for 2 yea...

Views: 104 Replies: 0

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher  

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Colostomy Reversal & Hernia repair

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,597 members interested in a relationship

10,056 members looking for support

107,328 exchanged private messages

47,143 forum posts

1,248 blogs

64 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy reversal

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Colostomy Reversal & Hernia repair Reply with quote

Hi , my name is pippa and I am looking for advise and other people's opinion on colostomy reversal & hernia repair it will be getting done all at the same time, which I think is good.

I had a colostomy last July through emergency surgery its a long story so will get to the point I had septicimia, septic shock, all my major organs were starting to close down lots and lots of complications anyway am having my reversal in october. Not to mention I am very scared about the whole thing but realise it has to be done I have had  the nescessary tests and am good to go. My questions are:-

1. How long does it take to recover ( I think around six weeks but not sure )

2. What is the success rate of colostomy reversal but more important the Hernia repair.

3. My surgeon has said he is going to do a Pig Mesh ( Laboratory Grown ) over my hernia. Please understand I am soooo nieve to all this and when he explained things I thought I was taking it all in but you come out thinking " I dont remember what he said " so if anyone can shed some light on my questions especially this last question would be ever so greatful. Anyway information about this mesh would be so helpful .

Once again thanks in advance Pippa .
 jakenjypsy44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I went through the same thing last October and had the colostomy + all the infections and almost died 3 times.

I just had the reversal and hernia repair done on July 1, 2009.  It is now the 27th of July and I am still not `100%.  They say it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get to feeling more normal.

Everything went wonderful with my surgery, he took out the two hernia's, closed up the colostomy and even did a tummy tuck.  I was in the hospital for five days as they want to be sure there is some poop and gas starting to make it's way out normally.

Came home and have been doing as well as can be expected with major abdominal surgery.  I think I should be running laps by now but everyone assures me this will take some time.

There was not much pain and they give you pain pills anyhow.  Poop and gas are sporadic but feel so good.
Well, Pippa, good luck on yours and I will try to keep everyone posted .
 panhead511

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pippa how's it going? I hear that you need a few questions answered. I will do the best that I can to answere them for you. So here it goes. Having a hernia repair usually takes about 6 weeks to heal. Everone is different when it comes to healing. I just had a peristomal hernia repair and a abdominal resection( rectum removal) on the 1st of July of this year. During the 6 weeks it is recommended that you do not lift anything over 5 pounds due to the fact that it can come back. Even after you heal it would be advisable that you take caution in lifting anything heavy at all. From my understanding that many people who have experienced a hernia and had it repaired usually will have to have it done again at some point in time since they can come back. People who had a ostomy 20 percent of them will experience a peristomal hernia. As far as the mesh is concerned a lot of the doctors prefer not to use the mesh due to the fact that bacteria grows on the mesh and can cause infection. However with this said some still use it and believe that it can correct the problem for a while. The chances of having another hernia in the future is good. I have heard that some people have had multiple hernia repairs since it keeps comming back. If you keep having problems with hernias another solution is to have another resection done to remove the old stoma and put it somewhere else on your abdomin to repair the hernia. I do hope that this helps you out a little. I do wish you the best of luck on your surgery. Have a great day and god bless you. Keep smiling. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakenjypsy44 wrote:
Hi there, I went through the same thing last October and had the colostomy + all the infections and almost died 3 times.

I just had the reversal and hernia repair done on July 1, 2009.  It is now the 27th of July and I am still not `100%.  They say it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get to feeling more normal.

Everything went wonderful with my surgery, he took out the two hernia's, closed up the colostomy and even did a tummy tuck.  I was in the hospital for five days as they want to be sure there is some poop and gas starting to make it's way out normally.

Came home and have been doing as well as can be expected with major abdominal surgery.  I think I should be running laps by now but everyone assures me this will take some time.

There was not much pain and they give you pain pills anyhow.  Poop and gas are sporadic but feel so good.
Well, Pippa, good luck on yours and I will try to keep everyone posted .

Hey thanks for your response its very helpful however I do have a question :- With regard to your Tummy Tuck did you ask for that or did you just wake up from your surgery and find that the surgeon had done it ? and are you happy with it ? and how do come into the catogary for a Tummy Tuck I mean what was wrong with your tummy to have the tummy tuck. Many Thanks Pippa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panhead511 wrote:
Hey pippa how's it going? I hear that you need a few questions answered. I will do the best that I can to answere them for you. So here it goes. Having a hernia repair usually takes about 6 weeks to heal. Everone is different when it comes to healing. I just had a peristomal hernia repair and a abdominal resection( rectum removal) on the 1st of July of this year. During the 6 weeks it is recommended that you do not lift anything over 5 pounds due to the fact that it can come back. Even after you heal it would be advisable that you take caution in lifting anything heavy at all. From my understanding that many people who have experienced a hernia and had it repaired usually will have to have it done again at some point in time since they can come back. People who had a ostomy 20 percent of them will experience a peristomal hernia. As far as the mesh is concerned a lot of the doctors prefer not to use the mesh due to the fact that bacteria grows on the mesh and can cause infection. However with this said some still use it and believe that it can correct the problem for a while. The chances of having another hernia in the future is good. I have heard that some people have had multiple hernia repairs since it keeps comming back. If you keep having problems with hernias another solution is to have another resection done to remove the old stoma and put it somewhere else on your abdomin to repair the hernia. I do hope that this helps you out a little. I do wish you the best of luck on your surgery. Have a great day and god bless you. Keep smiling. lol

Hi thanks for your response its very helpful but not quite sure on a couple of things so can I ask you a couple of more questions :-  Mine is a peristomal hernia where my stoma is are you saying having the mesh done I will possible still have a reocurrance of a hernia. Also the surgeon is dong my reversal of the colostomy at the same time so I will be back to normal. Anyway take care .
 panhead511

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pippa, how are you today? I hope that all is well with you.  I have had a peristomal hernia. I just had it repaired a few weeks back. What I told you before, yes it is possible that it can come back even with the mesh. It is not 100%. I do not know what the doctor has told you but from what I have heard from other ostomates and also from my doctor it is possible to have another peristomal hernia again. My doctor also told me to be careful what I lift in the future and not to strain my abdominal area. Like I said before, 20% of all ostomates experience peristomal hernias and some of them will have reoccuring hernias in the future. I hope that this answers your question. If you need more reassurance ask your doctor. Find out all the information that you can to ease your curiosity about this subject. Have a good day and god bless. lol, Chris
 jakenjypsy44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Tummy tuck Reply with quote

Hi Pippa,
My surgeon did this on his own.  I had a small pot belly before all this happened (after 5 kids, who wouldn't).  After the original surgery and the development of hernias' I joked with him before the surgery and asked if he could get me as close as possible back to what I had before. I hated looking like I was six months pregnant and having to wear xxl tee shirts to camoflauge my stomach.  Before this happened,  I couldn't wear mini tops but long shirts and dresses looked great.

After the reversal surgery he said everything went well and he threw in a tummy tuck as a bonus.  Not complaining, but with all the additional tucking and stitching my stomach is a mess.  Of course I never plan on a two piece bathing suit, etc at this stage of my life anyway.  It is taking a bit longer to heal because of the extensive work done.  

I'm 4 weeks out of surgery and hoping the next two weeks show a great improvement.  Some days I am miserable, but like I said in my first post, I expected to be running laps within two weeks.  

All I can tell you is listen to what they say and don't do nothing after your surgery.  Walking short distances is good but I find that lots of sleep (heals) and rest is the best thing to do for a few weeks.
 panhead511

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pippa, how's it going? My answer to your question was accurate if you still had your colostomy. Since you are having a reversal I don't know for sure if that will correct your  peristomal hernia. Since you won't have colostomy it might correct the problem. I just had to write you back to clarify that. Have a good day and the best of luck to you. Take care...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Peristomal Hernia Reply with quote

Hi Chris, your so kind for thinking of me yes your right I am having the reversal colostomy and hernia repair I also have heard that recurrence of the hernia is possible, my surgeon told me I should'nt do my job anymore which involves heavy lifting so I have to change my job when I am well enough to return to my employment.

Anyway take care Chris . Julie
 panhead511

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Pippa, Are you having a good day? I sure hope so. I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and I do hope that all goes well. I am glad that you have spoken to your surgeon about this. He would be able to give you better advice since he is your doctor. I guess now you know huh? Take care hun and good luck!!! Talk to you later...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi, how are you today ? so tell me about yourself , why do you have a colostomy ? and is it permanent ? what job do you do ? hey am I am being too nosy. stay healthy Julie
 panhead511

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pippa, how's it going? Hope all is well with you.  I have a permanent colostomy since March of 08 due to incontinence and diverticulitis. I also just recently had my rectum removed and also had a peristomal hernia repaired on the 1st of July. I am still recovering from that surgery. Right now I am on Social Security ( disabled) and when I heal I will work part time. I miss working but I do have a few medical conditions that prevent me from doing so at this time.  I do not know if you have read my profile or not, it will fill you in on the rest. I have to go for now but I will talk to you later. Take care and have a good day!! lol, Chris
 jakenjypsy44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: COLOSTOMY REVERSAL AND HERNIA REPAIR Reply with quote

PIPPA,
please check out my reply to TAKE DOWN, I added further info that you would be interested in.  Thanks,
 RockyMtnHigh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Ostomy reversal and stomal hernia repair Reply with quote

I had an incisional hernia repair  Dec.7. 2010.  The surgeon used some kind of mesh.  By Feb. 7 2011, I had developed an infection in the area of the repair and fecal matter was discovered so section of colon removed and ostomy was done.  I am to wait a year for reversal and since I have developed a stomal hernia that will need to be repaired also.  I am very apprehensive about this whole procedure.  Who would be the most competent surgeon?  Are certain meshes better than others, etc.  Any suggestions out there?
 sunnydisposition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Hernia repair Reply with quote

Hi . I am having my stoma reversed and an insitional hernia reparied in 4 weeks , my surgeon is very clear that to use mesh was too risky as there is a great risk of infection building up on it and further surgery being needed.
he is going to use staples and stiches it has a higher chance of recuring but i will be carful not to lift anything heavy.
the imprtant thing is not to be inactive for too long and a bit of walking is good as well as rest.
the henia is massive about the size of a gallia melon and i find it more upsetting than the stoma, as it is difficult to hid with out wearing an extra strong corset.
top tip- the apparel place extra strong corsellet. fantastic!

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy reversal All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: