Reversal Surgery Concerns and Stoma Issues - Need Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses concerns and issues related to reversal surgery and stoma, seeking advice and support from the community.
JazzKeyboardist
Hi, this is my first post on this site. I had diverticulitis back in early May and my colon perforated on May 8th. It was undiagnosed prior to that, so it was a total surprise. I had an emergency colonectomy and they removed part of my sigmoid colon. Apparently, the problem started a couple of weeks before, and I passed it off as food poisoning. I felt that pain again on the 8th and thought it was some bad meat from a local diner. The tear had to have occurred the night before while I was sleeping because the pain woke me up at 7:30 am, and I didn't get to the hospital until close to 10:30. The doctor told me that in another 20 minutes or so, I wouldn't have made it.

He fitted me with a colostomy that they say is temporary. I just got the go-ahead from my primary doctor to have the reversal surgery. I was unaware until today that there might be any complications from having the reversal surgery. I can't imagine not having the reversal as I am 52 years young and still want to live a normal life without a bag attached to a front-facing butthole. With learning that there could be complications to the reversal surgery, now I'm a little concerned. I will meet with the surgeon that will do the surgery soon and will be able to ask a lot of questions. But other than any potential complications, I'm not sure what to ask. I would certainly appreciate any input on what to ask him.

Also, I have a lot of problems with my stoma and the rather wide variance in the consistency of the stool. I'm sure that it's directly related to what I eat, but apparently there aren't many things that I can eat that will give me normal, firm stool. I'm really needing help with this. Occasionally, I get leaks that cause real problems if I'm out somewhere. I'm also concerned about running out of supplies. I get them 90 days at a time and am on my 2nd 90-day supply. I have no medical insurance and no employment currently, so I can't afford to purchase them. Looking for resources there.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Dave
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

foxbody

Hi Dave, my situation is a little different. I am not a candidate for a reversal, but I am okay with this. First off, I wish you good luck and hope everything works out well. When I first started visiting doctors, I realized I had a head full of questions and did not know how to ask them. Then, I realized I had forgotten half of them anyways. So, I started sounding off questions to my wife and started bringing her to all my appointments. Four ears are better than two, and two brains are better than one. I have good hearing, but lots of times I only hear what I want to hear. There are quite a few people with reversals, and I am sure you will find the answers you need. I am 54 years young, and my bag saved my life. For that, I am grateful.

Take care, Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
justgran

My situation is similar to yours. I had emergency surgery in March of this year for a perforated bowel and now am scheduled to have my reversal in December. I too have read about complications some people have experienced after reversal but I am going ahead with mine as I cannot imagine living the rest of my life with a bag either. I hope you get your questions answered and all goes well for you.

Yukon steve

I had a reversal last January and so far only minor problems, and I will take them any day. I have 3-4 BMs a day interrupted by the occasional blockage due to impacted stool, easily cured by stool softener so far. My biggest problem though is I get a sudden urge to go and have about 2 minutes to get to the toilet, but even this is better than a blowout at 4 in the morning. If I have to ever have another resection, I am going to ask for a temporary ileostomy if they can't guarantee 100% no complications while healing. That will mean 2 surgeries instead of 4 over a 4-month period. The reversal surgery is not too bad pain-wise, and once everything starts moving again, you will spend a week on the toilet. Make sure you have diaper rash cream as the skin will have lost its resistance to the enzymes in your waste, but this will pass shortly. Hope for the best for you, and I would like to stay in contact.

Stephen
Past Member

I had emergency surgery on Jan 10 this year and my reversal on April 25. I never thought twice about having the reversal, they couldn't do it soon enough for me. I had no complications. I have 3-4 BMs a day, sometimes more. When it's time to go, I have gas really bad. I have been eating and gaining my weight back, which bothers me. Last night I got thinking if I keep this up, I might end up with a bag again. I can't do that, so I have to control my eating somehow! Good luck! The reversal wasn't too bad, but it is surgery, I was in the hospital another week for it.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Beaner

Hi there, I also had a perforated colon, emergency surgery, colostomy. I am 62. I had a reversal after eleven months, and have been good ever since, nine months now. Just make sure you follow the doctor's orders and don't overdo after the surgery. That is the reason people develop hernias, and keep a log as to what foods bother you. I stay away from onions, garlic, raw broccoli, and cabbage. I was so thrilled to be in remission with my Crohn's that I put on lots of weight and now need to pull in the reins, so to speak. Ask lots of questions and good luck! Beaner

Ohgoody

My situation was totally different, however my reversal went great! I was out of the hospital in 24 hours - probably a record. I am a healthy 41-year-old, so that probably helped. Although I didn't go anywhere for about a week and was careful where I went for another two weeks, I didn't have any complications. I had myself worked up because I couldn't stay off the internet and saw more horror stories than I care to relate. Everyone is different. My only advice to you is to take your pain meds as directed, rest, and don't overdo it. I refused all pain meds and looking back, I could have made my life a little more comfortable if I had just given in. Remember, though, that it is still surgery and it will take a good while to feel back to yourself again. Good luck!!!

grandmaJ
Hi Dave, saw your post and wanted to give you my situation. Christmas Eve 2010, my colon burst and I had emergency surgery. I was in the hospital for 10 days and had no idea I could have died. Thank goodness the pain was so bad I went to the hospital. Being Christmas Eve, I wanted to stay home. I had no idea previous to that I had a problem. Sometimes I would get an upset stomach and take Tums after eating, but other than that, no pain until that night.

8 months later, I had a reversal, so it has been a year now with the reversal. So far, so good. The doctor said I still have diverticulosis and always will have, so I still have to watch what I eat. In the beginning, I tried different things and if they bothered me, I stayed away. I miss a lot of what I ate previously, but I'd rather be alive.

As for the reversal, I have it and just take it easy for a good stretch. I had the yearly colonoscopy they advised, and the doctor said things healed well. He did say to keep away from nuts, corn, onions, peppers, seeds, etc. I never want to go through that again, so I will heed his advice. I found it a hard decision to have the reversal because it is still major surgery, but I'm glad I did. I hope this and the other replies help in your decision.
Sophie96
Hi Dave, first things first, I love your phrase 'front-facing butthole' that did crack me up! Lol. I really relate to your post because although I've had symptoms for a few years, my surgery was also an emergency. I had to go to the hospital with really bad pain in my stomach and turned out I had a perforated bowel, so I had surgery that night which resulted in a colostomy. I've also had to have two further ops because my bowel perforated again, so I now have an ileostomy. I was also told that if I had left it another day, I would have been a goner! Scary thought!
I think as you still have your stoma at the moment and you're having trouble with leaks, you should try out different bags. If you go on Google and type in something along the lines of "free stoma bag samples," there are many companies that can send you free samples of different types of stoma bags, and you can see if any work better than others for you! Also, so you don't worry about running out of supplies, put about 10 bags or so and wipes, etc., away in a cupboard so if you do run out of your main supply while you're waiting for a delivery, you can use them.
With regards to the reversal, I too have been told that mine is reversible, but I have always been unsure as to whether to go ahead with it, and I'm only 21! It's definitely a good idea to speak to your consultant/surgeon so you fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of having the surgery. BUT don't rush into it until you are completely sure it's the right decision for you! Hope I have been of some help to you. x
MJMuraco

Dave, I had the same problem as you. I didn't even know I had diverticulitis or any health problem until I ended up in the hospital with a perforated bowel. I was in the hospital six times last year and it's a long story but the important thing is I had my final surgery on March 16th of this year and I have been great ever since. I wore a drain from June until September, got an infection in July, had surgery in September which failed and then another surgery one week later and ended up with a colostomy. In February, I went for colostomy reversal and ended up with an ileostomy for 5 weeks. I wasn't sure my doctor knew what he was doing to me. After the long road, I'm completely cured and hate my stomach which looks like a road map but I feel great. I have more energy than ever and love life every day. I watch what I eat because some foods give me the runs but other than that, I'm normal. Go for it and now I love my doctor because I now know he knew the best thing. I'm doing great. I was scared because some cases don't go so well but I'm older than you at the age of 55 so GO FOR IT!!!

latina63

Well, I am now 17 days post-op of reversal. The first week after surgery is a killer, just have patience. The BM's have slowed way down and I am feeling so much better. The pain was horrible (I had 3 hernias repaired at the same time), but I endured and it has gotten better. Every day is a victory and it's all uphill from here!