Severe cramps and bleeding after ileostomy - seeking advice

Replies
Views
geordie casper

Hi, someone must be able to give me some advice. I had my operation in September 2010. I get phantom poo pains on a daily basis, but the last couple of weeks I have felt more severe cramps and pain. Usually, just mucus would weep from my bottom, but now it seems it's actual poo in my passage. I have tried to strain, but the pain worsens and becomes unbearable and bleeds. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what did you do?

Awaiting any advice.
Thanks in advance.

Geordie Casper

Bill
Hello geordie casper.

I had a lot of this type of stuff for about 9 months after the operation. Sometimes the stuff was clearly blood and other times there were lumps which looked like poo but were probably congealed blood. I used to irrigate the anus because that's what I was doing prior to the op. Now I just get excessive mucus which doesn't bother me so much as the pain. (which, in my case, I am guessing is a prolapse- which is also what was there before).

I did speak to the ostomy nurse about it and looked at the options but none of them sounded satisfactory so I'm still putting up with what I've got.

I think you should speak to someone who knows (or can ascertain) what the problem is so that you can make informed choices as to what to do about it.

Best wishes

Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

I found this report which provides information on primarily one element of rectal discharge, excessive mucus, but sheds some light on related problems. I hope it helps. PB

http://www.stomadata.com/2530_Rectal_Discharge.pdf
Bill
Thanks PB - this will be a very useful, striaghtforward article for those people who need to understand this subject (like my wife!)

Best wishes

Bill
djcwiley

My rectal prolapse continued to worsen over the years and the mucus and pain became difficult to manage on a daily basis, so finally they did another colonoscopy and my colon was completely filled with mucus. They took the damn thing out and it changed my life. I seriously would consider getting tested again. They tried so many other options but nothing worked.

Debra

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
groom4u
Hello:
When I had my first surgery, they left 6 inches off my colon, and my rectum, hopefully to be reconnected. During that time, I got pain in my rectum along with mucus. After the rest of my colon got diseased and had to be removed, they also removed my rectum. No more pain, no more mucus with an ileostomy. No reason to have a rectum. That's my experience. I've had my ostomy since 1993 and life is good! If you still have your rectum, it will produce mucus and, for me, pain. Well, hope this helps. Take care.
Past Member
Hello...Mountain Mermaid; my colostomy operation was Sep 11, 2013. I too hope to have it reversed within the next 6 months. Of course, my ostomy is tied into the large intestine vs the small. Still, I deal with a "Bowel Bag" every day. My stoma is somewhat indented and laying on its side. I use an Eakin ring to give me a good seal and to date have not had any problems. Eakin rings can be cut and doubled if necessary to give you a custom fit. A stoma nurse can help you find the best appliance and fit for you and your lifestyle. Stoma powder is used prior to applying the appliance to draw water away from the area. In Canada, stoma powder is sold in drug stores that carry Ostomy supplies. No prescription is needed. I too was very depressed and still am to a point. I keep thinking to myself that without this bag, I would be dead. As well, I feel physically better and can do all the things I did before I got sick. Really, having my life back instead of morphine and a couch keeps me moving forward. I guess I am asking you to think of the alternative and how lucky you really are. Time to start living again....best of luck...

Kolan