Ostomy Belts That Clip onto Pouch

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I have been wearing the ostomy belt since my surgery in October 2012, pretty much 24/7. Then I was thinking, is it really helping? Any advice on the belt would be appreciated. Thanks. Penguins7

firedup
Hello Penguins7,
Welcome back! I use an ostomy belt almost all the time now because I have a hernia that causes my pouch to not sit correctly, and it is more for added comfort of mind than anything. I used to put one on for about an hour after applying the pouch just to make sure it was adhered enough, then take it off. Again, it was probably for peace of mind, but it did seem to help. I'd say if you have good adhesion with your wafer/pouch, then you don't need to wear one unless it makes you more comfortable. I will quit babbling now. Peace, Gail
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Thanks, Gail. I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so you are right, it is peace of mind. Thanks. Rod

kbd

Because my stomach is not small, and because I want to avoid a hernia, and just because it feels more secure, I wear a belt all the time now. I sleep with one of the small 1-inch belts on, and I wear a 4-inch wide belt all day long. I think the support really helps, at least I feel that way. I certainly would not want to do any heavy lifting without a good belt for support on and around my ostomy, so I also keep a six-inch wide belt around for that reason.

Past Member

I have been wearing a belt since my surgery, also in October of 2012. At first, I was wearing it only sometimes if I thought of it. I started having leakage around the skin barrier to the point where I was having to change my whole system out a couple of times a week. Finally, my daughter suggested I be really diligent about wearing the belt. Once I started wearing it all the time (even at night), I had no more leakage.

It took a while for me to get used to it always being there, but I think the longer you wear it, it just becomes a natural thing.

Good luck with yours.
Judi

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister