Ostomy Adhesive Issues: Tips for Warm Weather & Exercise

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mamawlaura

Does anyone have problems with the adhesive holding ostomy appliance secure when outside "playing" in the garden, especially on a warm day? Mine tends to spring a leak when I do much bending. Don't know if it's the location of the ostomy (ileostomy) which is barely below the waistline or the adhesive not being strong enough to hold the stress of exercise. Spring is finally getting here and I love being outside playing in the dirt! Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

For what it's worth, Mama, I have never had a leakage problem due to hot weather or stressful exercise. Just make sure the appliance is properly affixed, and you can be reasonably sure that it will do its job. Playing in the dirt is OK, but watch out for mud wrestling. PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
funnygurl

Oh yeah. I have problems with both hot weather and bending. Greatly shortens my wear time. Went out in the garden today and blew a flange after 2 days. Normally I get 5 days out of a flange. Driving long distances can also shorten my wear time.

Past Member

I had my surgery in December and this will be my first spring/summer using the appliance. My WOCN started me off on Hollister and Convatec products, and then after a couple of months I received a Coloplast sample pack. Wow -- what a difference! Coloplast is so much more comfortable, flexible, aesthetically pleasing, and adheres much better as well. The technology is like a Ferrari compared to the Ford Focus that Hollister and Convatec seem to be. Just a different class of product altogether. I cannot imagine going back to Hollister or Convatec.

So, I wonder whether you could try the Coloplast system for awhile during the warm months and see how things go. Coloplast also has elastic barrier strips which are designed to go over the edges of the barrier / flange / wafer (or whatever you want to call the piece that sticks to your skin). The barrier strips are semi-circular adhesive strips that are very soft, adhere very well, and are designed to extend the useful life of the barrier by keeping it sticking to your body.

Let us know how things go. I'm very happy with Coloplast and I wouldn't change back to any other brand at this point.

Past Member

I lose some wear time in the warmer months, but none of my bending has any effect.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Hello mamawlaura,  I used to look for reasons why I occasionally had problems with the appliance not sticking and these included sweating etc. However, over time I realised that some of these appliances simply don't stick properly from the outset.  I'll sometimes get through two or three boxes without any problem and then one or two will let me down.   I then wonder if there is a problem with the production line and these failures are maybe where the machine is running out of glue! This has proved to be a really messy affair when the adhesive fails on the irrigation sleeve in the middle of irrigation.  However, I have now invented a plan 'B' to try to assist with this. For during the day, I have made my own hernia appliance which also keeps the wafer in place even if the adhesive fails.

Best wishes  Bill
iMacG5
Bill, your mention about all appliances not being created equally makes a lot of sense.  I had a problem with Convatec pouches and called their 800 number.  They asked for the LOT number (which I now document with each item I receive) that I found on the box and told me they had a problem with that batch and offered to send me replacements.  I was amazed by their admission of an error, accepted their offer and had no problem with the replacements.  This incident and the quality of their products keeps me a loyal Convatec customer.  But that's just me.

Respectfully,

Mike
Xerxes

Mama,

I don't think it is the bending. It is more likely the creasing caused by a rather inflexible, thick wafer. Do you use stomahesive? I did for years and encountered what you are describing with excessive bending. Since I moved to durahesive, I have not encountered the problem. Gee, PB, I wonder if one can mud wrestle with the durahesive?

X_

Primeboy
Of course you can, X. Screw your courage to the sticking place.    
PB
Xerxes
Hi PB,

I am really trying. "O, what a happy title I do find. So says the Bard. Be well, most learned PB.

X_
hockey

Hi-- I have found this tape called Nex-Care--- I frame my wafer with it. I swim in the ocean and work out at the gym. It is the best tape I have found; it bends and moves with your body.
It does not pull or irritate the skin. What I do is I cut four strips about (3) inches long, hang them on the side of the sink. After I put the stoma adhesive powder on, I then apply the wafer. Before I put the pouch on, I frame the wafer on all four sides. I put on the pouch, then I lay down for about (20) mins and apply pressure with the palm of my hand. Good luck.
From HOCKEY

Generall

I have definitely had issues during warm weather and bending. I got myself one of those grabbers (a pole with tongs at the end) just to avoid a lot of bending.

I've also had bad batches of supplies. When I've called Hollister about it, they deny that there's any problem and try to convince me that I'm doing something different or something about my body has changed. Yet, I've still got some boxes of appliances that, when I use them, they last for less than a day. If I use an appliance from a box of good ones, they last for close to a week. So no, Hollister, it's a problem on your end, not mine.

StarUK

So, I wonder whether you could try the Coloplast system for a while during the warm months and see how things go. Coloplast also has elastic barrier strips which are designed to go over the edges of the barrier / flange / wafer (or whatever you want to call the piece that sticks to your skin). The barrier strips are semi-circular adhesive strips that are very soft, adhere very well, and are designed to extend the useful life of the barrier by keeping it sticking to your body.

Let us know how things go. I'm very happy with Coloplast and I wouldn't change back to any other brand at this point.

I totally agree Coloplast is excellent and the elastic strips are a godsend. I have started to use them when my peristomal hernia is prominent, usually when gardening strangely!!
beatrice

It's the bending that does it for me... much more so than the warmer temps. When I'm gardening and bending... I know I'll have to change my appliance that day or the next. (Ileo Dec/09)

My ET nurse had a look at my tummy and saw that when I bent, there was a dimple (or crease) that happened at the 3/9 o'clock spots. She suggested I put a small piece of moldable e-ring at those spots only and then apply my flange. The idea is to 'fill' the dimples.

I guess it helps. I have to admit that getting that small piece of e-ring down is like wrestling a cat!

You could even try an entire e-ring which is supposed to give a flexible/closer fitting better seal.

I'm still experimenting and will let you know if I find something that works really well. But for now... I can tell if there is a small leak happening (that particular sensation/itch)... and I just change my appliance. And often time my days of bending in the garden before a scheduled appliance change.

Hope that helps!

patri

Hi. I'm new and don't mean to come out like a know-it-all, but when I had my ostomy (it's permanent from rectal cancer, I'm not sure the actual type of ostomy) installed, I was super thin from cancer and the skin on my stomach would just fold if I even leaned over slightly. I had a bag life of 2 hours on some days. Then I learned to stretch the skin tight so the stoma was popping up kinda and apply the bag like that, and the bags started to stick even when in chemo. I live in South Florida, so it's always spring/summer/hot hot hot.

All the molding pastes and barriers in the world weren't helping me, by the way. Just made me feel like I didn't know what I was doing.

Meanwhile, on YouTube, I saw a video of irrigating your ostomy and haven't worn a bag since! I empty my bowels in the morning daily and wear a bandaid the rest of the day and night. That means I can sleep raw AND on my stomach!!! It's like potty training my stoma, such a huge improvement for me. It is not flawless; a more active person might wear what's called a stoma cap, which is a very small bag that attaches the same and can catch any little bits that do express unexpectedly without needing to do anything about it until it is convenient or the next day.

Big spender

Hi Mama
I had an urostomy in 2008 and had leaks fairly regularly but particularly after gardening or even bending indoors. I always carried extension strips for emergencies. It was only recently that I discovered a pouch that suits me.
This is a pouch with a surround as flexible as elastoplast (band aid) and whereas previously when I changed there was always signs of an edge lifting..... now when I change it is still stuck down as if I had just put it on.

I have a short stoma and now use a convex pouch from Hollister............
29701 Moderma flextend con uro .............That is for my particular sized stoma. I feel sure there are other manufacturers making similar products but I have not seen them. The flexible surround is just great and really stays put!! I'm sure they will also have similar products if you don't need a convex pouch. Ask your supplier for up-to-date info.

I agree with what our friend from South Florida said of his climate. I live on the English Riviera in Devonshire and excessive perspiration (ladies) is not a problem.
I wish you well in your search.