Hernias

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ojnab

I have a parastomal hernia which is causing me pain and affecting the quality of my life. I am 55 and had an ileostomy for 25 years. I have only had the hernia for the past 12 months. I have decided to have it repaired even though the surgeon said it is a difficult operation. Has anyone else had this surgery done and if so, was it successful?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Green Eyed Lady
Hi, I had multiple adhesions and hernias surrounding my stoma and abdomen, and they did laparoscopic surgery to repair everything - then inserted mesh inside the cavity, which encompassed the entire abdomen, which helps to keep more hernias from forming... but, I do have an umbilical hernia now, and from what I've read from others on here, that hernias (and recurring hernias) are very common with ostomies. Since mine only protrudes when I cough or sneeze - and doesn't hurt - I will not have hernia surgery again to repair it. It seems that when they cut us again, that more muscle strength is compromised, leaving us less active than before. It's only my opinion, but do whatever makes you feel comfortable again. Best of luck!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ojnab

Well, thanks for the comments. I also have an umbilical hernia, so I will get that removed too. But you're right, too much surgery is never good and should always be taken seriously. So, I am not looking forward to it, but with the pain affecting my life, I just feel that it needs to be done.